Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

How will the abolition of mums and dads effect us and our babies?

(336 Posts)
kfca Sun 02-Dec-12 19:43:17

Does anyone else mind not being recognised as the mother of their baby, if the law changes, maybe in the new year, with the marriage changes?
Will mumsnet have to rename itself as LegalParent_A_net?

I don't really care what I'm called on official documents. I'm still Mum, always will be.

BarbaraBar Sun 02-Dec-12 20:02:30

The student is knitting a parent A? Gosh. I had no idea.

EdithWeston Sun 02-Dec-12 20:04:19

Don't see how you can decide what the law will contain when it hasn't even been written yet

Nor do I see the need to change the nomenclature as already in use on official documents by lesbian and gay parents which coexists without problem with hetero terminology

Bluestocking Sun 02-Dec-12 20:04:37

Fucking knitting? Sounds a bit dry and scratchy.

Djembe Sun 02-Dec-12 20:05:40

I think it's a scarf.

What am I meant to be irate about? I think as long as I get to be A and DH can be B, that'd be dandy.

QuickLookBusy Sun 02-Dec-12 20:05:44

I've never been abolished before. It might be quite exciting.

kfca Sun 02-Dec-12 20:07:18

This is important to all of us - the Government have said that the terms mother and father will be scrapped from law, and we will be known as Legal parent A and Legal parent B instead. (A bit better than Progeniter A and Progeniter B as mums and dads are now called in Spain).

HoneyDragon Sun 02-Dec-12 20:08:48

Thankfully this I'd not an issue for me. Dd is currently adamant that I am not her mum.

"Mummy. I am NOT your daughta!" <<foot stamp and flounce>>

It's rather charming. grin

HoneyDragon Sun 02-Dec-12 20:09:31

How is it important?

TeamSledward Sun 02-Dec-12 20:09:45

A link would help, because without a source it sounds as though you are making this up.

On most official forms Legal Guardian/s is the term used anyway.

EmmaNess Sun 02-Dec-12 20:09:46

It's not important to me.

Bluestocking Sun 02-Dec-12 20:10:25

What on earth are you gibbering on about, OP? Can you link us to a news item or a government website? Because if you can't, we are going to have to conclude that you need a thicker foil hat, because the messages are getting through.

BarbaraBar Sun 02-Dec-12 20:12:11

Hardly likely that we'd be called Progeniter A or B cos that's forrin innit.

I'll stick with mummy and daddy thanks (very young children)

sittinginthesun Sun 02-Dec-12 20:13:31

I don't think it actually matters at all, does it? Why does it bother you, OP? At the moment, I'm "Mummy", which isn't an official name. On official documents, I'd assume I was a "parent".

<knew it would be a scarf!>

Alameda Sun 02-Dec-12 20:14:31

progenitor is better I think, because it sounds a bit like pro genital

but surely the important thing is that marriage is not something only heterosexuals have to suffer, we can share the misery more equally now, everyone wants equality don't they?

SmeggingAroundTheChristmasTree Sun 02-Dec-12 20:14:43

Uh - surely that's already the case in law anyway?

Bless.

MirandaWest Sun 02-Dec-12 20:15:48

I very vaguely remember this being discussed on mumsnet some months ago. Possibly about a year ago?

Only4theOlympics Sun 02-Dec-12 20:16:39

Takes more than a bit of paper to make a Mummy and Daddy so I couldn't give a toss what the bit of paper says.

BarbaraBar Sun 02-Dec-12 20:17:44

But marriage does not a mummy/daddy make.

Weissdorn Sun 02-Dec-12 20:17:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Chubfuddler Sun 02-Dec-12 20:18:19

Do you honestly think the government is going to force your child to address you as "legal parent A" op?

As a child I thought of my parents as "parent 1" and "parent 2". I would much prefer this to "parent A" and "parent B". Might this be an option?

LaLaGabby Sun 02-Dec-12 20:19:50

It is important to me. Frankly the Judeo-Christian conception of marriage, interpreted strictly, is the only thing keeping my shit together.

As soon as they let the gays marry I am going to quit my job, push DW under a bus, sell the DCs into slavery and the cat for sausages and move to Marrakesh to worship Satan and have sex with ducks.

sittinginthesun Sun 02-Dec-12 20:20:19

Can you imagine "Legal Parent A's Day"?

Sirzy Sun 02-Dec-12 20:20:52

Does it matter what it says on a bit of paper?

We aren't going to have loads of children shouting "legal parent A, Legal parent A" when they want someone to get them out of their cot in a morning!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now