Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

How will the abolition of mums and dads effect us and our babies?

(336 Posts)
kfca Sun 02-Dec-12 19:43:17

Does anyone else mind not being recognised as the mother of their baby, if the law changes, maybe in the new year, with the marriage changes?
Will mumsnet have to rename itself as LegalParent_A_net?

SledYuleCated Mon 03-Dec-12 21:18:24

Hang on, I'm not even a parent...

WHAT AM I DOING HERE?!

Devora Mon 03-Dec-12 22:44:49

Sied - nah, I think OP's construction is that adoptive parenting isn't REAL parenting - it's just unpaid FT childminding of a kid you have no vested interest in. Anyone who took that on would have to be a bit of a hero, right?

Chip - I think the research you want is by Susan Golombok, Cambridge University.

SledYuleCated - perhaps the OP could clarify whether non-parents rate above or below gay and adoptive parents on the OP's hierarchy of heroism.

Devora Mon 03-Dec-12 22:56:24

Oh, waaaaay below, surely.

A woman who doesn't breed? What's the point of that, exactly? shock

SledYuleCated Mon 03-Dec-12 23:08:37

I don't know, but should I worry? I'm worrying. I'm not even Legal Parent A. I'm just A. A what? A giraffe? A poke in the eye?

LadyIsabellaWrotham Mon 03-Dec-12 23:32:47

This thread has brightened my day considerably. Lots of lovely MNers on top form, LalaGabby's contender for Post Of The Week, right at the top. And the realisation that if the anti-gay marriage mob are so desperate that they have to resort to this load of old bollocks then they are really truly screwed.

(So sorry that the adoptive parents got upset along the way though - you do know that the OP is in a minority of one though, don't you? Here, at least.)

Devora Mon 03-Dec-12 23:45:24

Aw, thanks LadyIsabella. I think we're a pretty thick-skinned bunch, actually. Just tiger-like when someone starts dissing our kids smile

chipmonkey Mon 03-Dec-12 23:49:16

Oh no, adoptive parents are heroes dontcha know? It's why I hang around outside MrsDeVere's house waiting to get her autograph.

Lilka Mon 03-Dec-12 23:50:14

My wonderful comment (which wasn't at all angrily thumped out without thinking) got deleted! Oh well

Let me rephrase thoughtfully - It's so awful that OP feels so dreadfully sad about being a parent, and feels reduced, especially to the level of an adoptive parent. Please excuse me from this thread for just a minute, while I go and fetch the world's smallest violin

I love being Parent A, A Parent

Heck, I'm not only Parent A, I'm B, C, D, X, AA, Infinity. I'm the ONLY Parent in this house. So I should get to be everything at once, I think

Devora Tue 04-Dec-12 00:14:58

Spero's spot-on, though, when she talks about how the equal civil marriage debate exposes how some people really do feel that their marriage will be downgraded by it, because the fact that they are married is one of the few places where they can feel 'better' than other people.

MrsDeVere Tue 04-Dec-12 07:35:42

Bloody tea on bloody iPad now
Thanks chip hmm

grin

<slips into catsuit and cape and goes to see what the dcs are doing>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now