Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Any pregnant Type 1 diabetics?

(1000 Posts)
dieciocho Thu 06-Sep-12 07:44:33

Hi,
I'm looking for other pregnant Type 1 diabetics in London, just to have someone to keep in contact with and share advice/horror stories/support each other etc.
I don't actually know anyone at all with Type 1, despite having had it myself since 1989

I can't say I have tested for ever a while blush

They would only let us leave the hospital if I agreed to have him weighed Thursday because since we've gone from tube feeds (a ridiculous amount nearly 90ml/3hours because they do it on their weight) he's lost 50g but obviously he's not going to carry on his line he wasn't meant to be so big! I hope the HV gets this. He only feeds for ten minutes at a time and I usually have to wake him after three hours!

dieciocho Tue 11-Dec-12 15:46:29

Welcome back Spotty!
I'm glad you're both home and well.

x

Spotty, dd dropped from 90th centile to 25th centile over her first 6 months or so, I just kept telling the hvs that she wasn't meant to be that heavy at birth (4.3kgs). Then I stopped taking her to be weighed grin it is entirely optional remember!

Well the HV is visiting Thursday (condition of me leaving) I just hope she's reasonable. Dd did exactly the same and is still on 25th at two and a half!

Mylittlepuds Tue 11-Dec-12 20:12:16

My HV though my insulin was getting to my DS through my breast milk and making him sleepy hmm Dear me.

Mylittlepuds Tue 11-Dec-12 20:12:35

* thought

shock

grin well I've never heard that one before!

Spotty HVs always do a home visit once you're discharged from hospital don't they? Ours do, at least, though they rapidly push you towards going to baby clinic if you're not struggling with anything. My HV worked out a rota of visits for the first month or so after DS was discharged from hospital to weigh him, she said she didn't want to see him at clinic till after his due date because he was so tiny and "at risk" of all the evil germs 2 year olds harbour. I didn't like to point out that he was going to playgroup twice a week and had a 2 year old sister of his very own to share germs with... grin

Mylittlepuds Tue 11-Dec-12 21:32:11

As a neurotic new mother I'd asked her why he was sleeping so much (God what I'd give for that 'problem' now!). Anyway she went off and came back the next week to proudly announce that she'd researched as to whether my insulin had been the culprit...delivered via my milk!!! I was so shocked at her ignorance I didn't quite know how to respond other than thank her for looking! Me and my lovely diabetes nurse had a good laugh about it though.

dieciocho Wed 12-Dec-12 08:40:07

Can anyone remind me about pre-eclampsia, please? I'm looking for things to worry about! Have any of you had it? How much more common is it for us?

I do have swollen feet, but that's been the case for a couple of months now. A dr. has looked at them and said it was mild oedema.
My hands aren't swollen, nor is my face.
I'm not getting headaches.
I'm not getting chest pain.
I'm not vomiting.
My blood pressure is normal.

Those are all the symptoms, right?

I had it with dd and was a week away from having it this time according to my consultant.

I think you've listed all the symptoms I had:

Swollen feet, hands, face (that don't go down over night)
Migraines
That thing where you see spots
Vomiting every half an hour grin
High bp
Think that's it…

Mylittlepuds Wed 12-Dec-12 08:51:43

Oh bloody hell that - I need to start on that aspirin! Are you taking it diec? I don't like taking things unless absolute.y necessary. Were you on it Spotty? Either time?

I was on it both times forgot to take it the first time though !

Mylittlepuds Wed 12-Dec-12 09:26:43

Best get started with it then! It's annoying though as I actually have very low blood pressure...

Mine was 90/50 for much of my pregnancy. My body just seems unable to look after itself/baby after 35 weeks!

dieciocho Wed 12-Dec-12 09:30:23

Yes, I've been on "junior" aspirin since week...13 or so, I think.

Ok, so general consensus is that I haven't got pre-eclampsia. Good. Thank you!

Mylittlepuds Wed 12-Dec-12 17:37:49

Oh bloody hell. My 5.8 aint gonna stick for long - despite my best efforts my levels the last couple of days have been horrendous despite very healthy eating and lots of exercise. Feel like I'm fighting a losing battle sometimes!

Does anyone have days when they've finally come back into range they're hungry again? That's been me today. Awful.

newbie6 Wed 12-Dec-12 22:31:46

Hi

Should all T1's be on aspirin as I'm not? My BP has been fine throughout but just wondered? I don't know much about pre eclampsia and none of the doctors or mW's have mentioned it to me?

X

My consultant put me on it both times. First time there was no reason to think I might get pre-eclampsia (always had low bp, low bmi etc) but I think being diabetic does put you at greater risk?

Hopingforno2 Wed 12-Dec-12 23:47:57

Hi new to this thread, im a type 1 diabetic and 22 weeks pregnant, thanks mylittlepuds for directing me here.

I got results for my 2nd trimester eye screen that say i have slight early diabetic eye changes sad very concerned about this, anyone have this? My 1st at 7 weeks showed no changes and my latest hba1c was 5.7% ( mines gets checked every 4 weeks at my antental clinic)

So worried about progression im only 29

Hi Hoping welcome smile

I've had lots of eye stuff over the past 10 years or so, and the first thing to say is that it's very treatable so try not to worry. It sounds like you have first stage changes, which may not even need laser treatment.

Laser is the first treatment you'd get - they may give you this as you're pg, as pg accelerates eye changes. It's done in clinic normally, you're awake for it and it doesn't take long. You'd have a few 100 lasers to the back if your eye per treatment, and other than making my eye feel slightly hot and gritty I never had other side effects from it.

There are other options if it becomes proliferative, let me know if you want to know about those too smile

dieciocho Thu 13-Dec-12 07:33:47

newbie, yes, we're more at risk of pre-eclampsia, so my dr. put me on a low-dose aspirin at the end of my 1st trimester, BUT make sure you stop taking it at around 34 weeks everyone - not sure why, but I've read a warning somewhere...

Hi hoping, yes, I've had mild diabetic retinopathy for about 5 yrs (I'm 32), but my eyes are being checked in each trimester and there haven't been any changes at all (in the whole 5 yrs, actually) and the eye drs. seem very pleased with me.
It's generally about keeping your levels under control, like most things in diabetes!

Puds, maybe you're extra hungry because of the cold...

Hopingforno2 Thu 13-Dec-12 08:07:03

Hi rue so far no treatment has been offered the letter says i dont need any and will be called back in a year but that seems like a long time to wait esp since im pregnant and this change has happened in the last 15 weeks, i still have 16 weeks to go and wouldnt like it ti progress further sad

Hi dieciocho im glad urs has been stable for 5 years and as u were only a little younger than me when it changed as well. Do u know why it changed? I guess i feel a little cheated as i improved my control completley for preg and had no changes then as soon as my control is better then it happens sad did any1 ever sit down with you and explain exactly what the chages are? I just feel the letter explains nothing.

Mine was caused by improving control too quickly (I got a pump, hba1c went from about 8 to about 6.5 within a month or two. Eyes don't like change, so any movement up or down can cause it.

While pg you should be getting checked in every trimester I think, I would follow that one up.

Hopingforno2 Thu 13-Dec-12 08:17:42

I plan to rue im phoning my dsn today id like someone to go through the results with me and will be pushing for further checks. On the diabetes uk forum ive had people tell me that improving ur control can cause this sad but in some cases after 2 years of good control it has reversed im hoping and praying i can do that!

This thread is not accepting new messages.