Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

December 2012: This too shall pass, this too shall pass

(1000 Posts)

keep repeating the mantra...

WLmum Sun 10-Mar-13 11:12:57

hales uaNbu, but I have learnt after 17 years that hints are no good! I have to tell DH exactly what I want/expect or more than likely will be sorely disappointed. Ok so I came down to a happy Mother's Day banner - lovely of course but identical to the one I made with the girls for his bday in dec!

Secondsop Sun 10-Mar-13 11:24:59

Oh hales that is infuriating. A fair-enough rant, I'd say. Do you think some men just don't understand that the first Mother's Day is quite a big deal for us first time mums? My husband got me sod all and didnt even acknowledge or mention it as it's not mother's day in australia, despite me mentioning the date at least 5 times before we left for Aus and at least 5 times since we got here. It's really as if it means nothing at all to him and I feel a bit like he thinks im going on about it.

We've got bloody power cut angry

MaMaPo Sun 10-Mar-13 12:33:12

Oh man - some of you guys are being hard done by! Hales, time to stop dropping hints. Seconds, that's not fair, it's not like you'll be in Aus for that Mother's Day. Spotty - what a pain.

Having a lovely day here. Like you, eggs, had two breakfasts, both extremely chocolatey. Watched tv in be with husband while I fed. Went to the shops while husband held sleeping baby - hooray! (Out the house for less than 10mins but still.). C played well while we cooked and is now asleep in her stretchy sling. She grizzled about it for a while but it's nice to be able to do stuff while she's asleep (namely pod broad beans). Looking fwd to delicious vegetarian lunch. But no idea when our guests are planning to arrive!

Ds slept for two hours. Power going to be off for another couple of hours hmm good job I wasn't cooking/baking. Might have to go out and spend some money after all...we're all electric here so no heating or hot water

Sounds lovely mama glad you're having a better day smile

Sorry to all those having a shitty Mother's Day, hope it picks up.

Welcome back COD.

I'm home! Yippee! J was awake and smiled and cooed and gurgled when he saw me smile. He's a very noisy baby too Seconds chatting constantly! I love how responsive he is.

Ooh it all got fraught on the hen do! Tears and tantrums at 2am! Luckily my friends and the bride weren't involved, but "Louise" and the bride's sister had a few choice words about her taking over and overstepping the mark <smug smiley>.

utopian99 Sun 10-Mar-13 16:09:26

Happy mother's day to all of us! thanks brew in bed, biscuit and wine all round...

Went out for supper last night for DM's birthday last night, all five of us (family and dh) plus Oz. Was really nervous there'd be a screaming episode but no - lovely evening and happy baby. Now off to see mil; so odd mother's day applying to me suddenly I keep forgetting.

utopian99 Sun 10-Mar-13 16:11:05

willyou did "Louise" get put in her place? More detail needed! She sounds like a proper so-and-so.

Louise invited a friend back to stay at the hotel with one of the other girls (as she had a double room which bride's sis paid a single supplement of £70 on). This pissed off bride's sis and the fact that we had only got taxis for 10 (4seater + 6seater) also failed to meet Louise's notice! It was to Birkenhead so it's really expensive if not prebooked as the don't want to cross the river.

Louise said it wasn't her fault n refused to apologise and stomped off to jump a black cab (with her mum who also came weirdly). I and another friend gave up our places in first cab for bride and sis (brownie points to us). Louise rang bride at 8:45 to say she was leaving at 9 as she'd forgotten there was something she had to do bullshit, and if she wanted a lift she had to skip breakfast and leave then. All in all the whole thing ended on a sour note because one spoiled madam couldnt admit she was wrong confused. All so petty and childish really.

Going to arrange coffee with bride next week to see if she has cottoned on to the selfishness of Louise or if as usual she just can't see it. I'm just glad I wasn't involved in the whole thing! I was off resting my bleating feet as I wore skyscraper heels for the first time in a year!

IsThatTrue Sun 10-Mar-13 18:00:36

Hi everyone, thanks for the new thread honey

Welcome back COD

I got nothing for Mother's Day! Big dcs are at their dads (back in a min) and DH thought it stupid to buy something from ds2 as 'its not really from him'. But did think to buy his mum a 'nana' card from ds2 and get me to help him do footprints in it sad

Oh well such is life. Lets see how he likes fuck all for Father's Day!! [childish emoticon]

DS was majourly shouty today. Needed a nap but fought it for bloody ages. Had to leave mils as he was starting to upset me. No were home he's been flat out in his Moses for over an hour.

Sorry to hear of non sleeping babies.

Oh IsThat definitely don't get him anything for Father's Day!

I'm considering a night time formula bottle again. I always decided against it before but I'm not so sure now. I'm getting quite tired which is making me stressed and wanting cry at silly things like trying to do the bastard food shopping/meal plan hmm

MaMaPo Sun 10-Mar-13 18:31:22

Spotty, is that a feed someone else can give while you sleep? If so, I say go for it! Sorry to hear your little one has been stroppy.

Is that - surely Father's Day has been cancelled this year?

C has been lovely today. She's started making a funny noise, kind of a growl, and is delighted when we do it back to her. We've been having lots of growling conversations today. She slept nicely in her sling while I relaxed and overall I feel much better today than I did yesterday morning. Now we're sat here having nappy off time prior to bath and listening to Radiohead.

It's great when they start making noises. Ds has started going 'prrrr' you know like a horse does?! (Not really sure how to write it!).

Yes dp would do it. I'm just worried that ds can't fall asleep without boob!

I have to make cakes for dd's nursery cake sale in aid of Red Nose Day. I'm going to do banana chocolate cupcakes smile

WLmum Sun 10-Mar-13 19:52:03

Glad you're feeling better mama, good choice of music for nudey kick. T loves having nappy off time but sadly she had to endure gangnam style during hers today as dd1 wanted to show grandma the dance - top marks to grandma for joining in.

We had a lovely lunch at Jamie's Italian. Food was lovely (if a bit pricey for kids), service great and kids well behaved. And I had wine!

Had a good chat with my brother too about trying to get back into real work next year which made me feel better as I stress about it every day quite a lot.

After a horrendous night last night I'm really hoping to be in bed by 9.

I'm in bed watching top gear eating an Easter egg grin

WLmum Sun 10-Mar-13 20:31:26

I've discovered that I can sometimes settle T in her cot when she stirs (rather than automatically put her on the boob) by sort of pat pressing her so that she sort of bounces on the mattress! Patting alone doesn't do it. I guess its be because she's one who is settled by movement.

FriendofDorothy Sun 10-Mar-13 20:50:19

I still have a grumpy baby this evening and he is a bit more pukey than usual.

Wh
y does this always happen when The Mister is on night shift?!

MaMaPo Sun 10-Mar-13 20:57:49

Oh FOD, that's no good. Changing lots of clothes? I had to change C's sleepsuit as soon as she got in it after her bath, as she puked all over it. Soaked the vest too.

New discovery today - C was able to close her eyes calmly and fall asleep without sucking, after being slightly roused. She was still in my arms but this was the first time I'd ever seen her able to do that. Usually she needs to be firmly cuddled and sucking furiously (either on me or dummy) before the eyes can close.

IsThatTrue Sun 10-Mar-13 21:00:44

DS is a bit happier now. I think we're having a growth spurt, I'm not going to get much sleep tonight I think!

And yes I think Father's Day is cancelled!

FriendofDorothy Sun 10-Mar-13 22:04:41

He's so unsettled again tonight. Wonder if it is a growth spurt. He has fed for close to 3 hours today.

Hard to tell sometimes.

I pit him to bed earlier and he startled himself awake. Wish he had tolerated swaddling!

EggsMichelle Sun 10-Mar-13 22:57:25

Those DP's who didn't sort out Mother's Day will have to go without Father's Day, selfish men!

FoD have you tried putting him to bed on his side with a rolled up blanket behind him? It stops them from startling and eventually they shuffle onto there back to sleep. I have had F sleeping like that since he was 5days old (the only way to get him to sleep at night). DM was horrified to see I put he to sleep on his belly on the sofa for his day time nap, maybe it's about time I get him to sleep in the day in his cot on his side/back!

After my epic breakfast and a lovely bath this morning curtesy of DH, I had roast dinner at Gran's with DM, looked at a potential new house (fx our cheeky offer will be accepted) then spent the rest of the day chilling with DM who cooed over my very chatty and smiley little boy (such a charmer!)

Dh got a very good Father's Day off 'bump' last year do he knew ehat was expected smile cup of tea plus an extra hour I'm bed this morning, long family walk, DH cleaned the kitchen while I ordered a new woven wrap and played with the little man. He put him down while I cooked tea and then we had pink cava and watched telly smile

MaMaPo Mon 11-Mar-13 00:22:37

Oh, a late Mother's Day present from C - refusing to take the bottle from dad. She usually has a bottle of ebm every day round midnight. I need stories about how she'll be fine tomorrow. Husband just went to sleep telling me he felt like a failure! sad

Well ds stirred after three hours (at half ten) but I left him and he's just stirred again (after another two) but I think he's gone back to sleep again confused

He will probably wake up when I click 'post'!

IsThatTrue Mon 11-Mar-13 03:21:03

We've been up 3 times already. I knew it was a growth spurt that made him horrible yesterday!

This thread is not accepting new messages.