Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

October 2012 babies - over here nobbers!

(1000 Posts)
Smorgs Wed 02-Jan-13 19:36:21

This really will be the thread where all our babies start sleeping through the night... right?!

BoraBora Wed 09-Jan-13 18:13:34

yomping she said because your pelvic floor needs at least that time to be able to withstand the extra force. This is particularly so if you're breastfeeding. If you're breastfeeding (which I am) she said ideally you shouldn't start up again until you finish, as low oestrogen levels mean that things are still loose. After she heard my derisive snort, she said she understood that I would find it hard to wait until after I'd finished BF (running really is 'my thing') and so said I should hold off as long as I can.

I cannot hold off and I am going I continue, as long as I'm asymptomatic.

Additionally, she said that we should only be doing specific antenatal Pilates, as certain exercises in regular could put undue pressure on your PELVIC FLOOR.

BoraBora Wed 09-Jan-13 18:19:05

Oh, and if you've not done a set of ten PF whilst standing legs apart with a physio's KY fingers up your fanjo, you've not lived...

Smorgs Wed 09-Jan-13 18:24:36

londonmrss can we rename your DD MiniMao/MiniMarx grin
elpis 'twas me asking about fenugreek thanks, have been drinking the tea for two days now and supply up a little I think. yomping you're thinking of fennel. I would say fenugreek tea tastes like the water you washed up last nights curry dishes in but hey, whatever works.
Yay for huffles boobs (sorry must have missed your post overnight)
Double yay for a sleepy cherrybaby!

squidkid Wed 09-Jan-13 18:39:17

Borabora arrrgh, that's not good news! Hope I haven't completely knackered my insides. When did she say you could start normal exercise?
Anyway I have got to my goal of running a nonstop 5K now (done it twice this week) so am going to do one last 5K on saturday and then switch to strength type exercises for the rest of Jan/Feb...

ps. congrats on your excellent pelvic floor. Did you ever read my birth story, it involved two midwives pulling at my perineum whilst discussing whether they needed to do an episiotomy to get baby out quicker, then declaring my pelvic floor fantastic and refusing to cut it - genuinely most surreal moment of my life, in 30th hour of labour

Whistlestop appearance by me today, sorry for not reading all posts. Been up to my sisters to help babysit as she is a bit poorly. Also went to health visitor this morning and got Jess weighed. She is 12lb 2oz at 15 weeks and has dropped a centile. Thankfully HV said "but that's not a concern on its own" just as I was preparing my "well I'm not concerned as she is clearly fine" hard stare. In fact HV was lovely and seemed to vaguely know what she was talking about. So they're not all bad.

smile4me Wed 09-Jan-13 19:09:29

livvy we had exactly the same sleep problem at 10 weeks... went from sleeping well at night to only 3 hr stretches! Worse than as a newborn, so I was not impressed confused. Anyway it lasted 2 weeks then she go back to normal, so I'm sure your DD will too before very long. These's a wonder week and a growth spurt around that time so put it down to that.

funchum8am Wed 09-Jan-13 19:20:42

Squid I meant to say ages ago I am so impressed by you completing c25k...starting week 2 tomorrow!

Bora I salute your keenness to exercise too! Though see below re PF and exercise!

I went to a postnatal exercise class today (like buggyfit but an independent instructor.). It is a brand new class so my friend and I were the only two there so it was like having a personal trainer....good for having time to ask questions etc but bad in that she could see if I started slacking during the circuits!! Think I will see results if I keep going though, but I will feel it tomorrow, so just had a Walnut Whip to ease the pain to come....grin. Bit of an issue during the jogging part which means I will be cracking out the Tena Lady I have left over from the first few weeks post-partum for next week's session sad. Thought my mild incontinence had gone but clearly not, need to up the PF exercise regime!

We had our best ever night of sleep last night - four wake ups but she went straight back to sleep every time and did not declare morning had arrived until 6.10am! Then she slept for 2.5 hours from 8 onwards and 2 at lunch, so I suspect it is the three month growth spurt.

On the downside, she has screamed since her bath and has a red rash. I think the new sponges I bought are the cause so they are going into retirement to try and eliminate them. It is them or Johnson's baby bath!

Beccus Wed 09-Jan-13 19:27:53

livvy, i feel your pain re being unable to go to sleep as u have to be up in 40 min. thay sux! i would be tempted to stop the 7am starts as it sounds like it's not improving overnite sleep anyway. imagine - u could both have a lovely lie in.

londonlivvy Wed 09-Jan-13 19:33:15

desperate levels of tiredness mean I'm going to bed at 1930. I hope I feel less bad tomorrow. today was hideous.

hugs to everyone who needs one and do keep mentioning Pelvic Floor please ladies.

squidkid Wed 09-Jan-13 19:37:35

hugs to livvy, poor mate. Hope you get a stretch of sleep and wish I could come over myself to take breastfeed why not baby for a bit tomorrow. Am often crashing out at 8 myself.

PELVIC FLOORS!

crazypaving Wed 09-Jan-13 20:08:37

livvy I always go to bed when the baby does - usually between 8.30 and 9. survival...

funch I found Johnson's pretty harsh on baby skin (I'm allergic to it too). I tend to use just plain water, and no flannel or anything. seems to get him clean enough without irritation.

huffle meant to pay hooray for happy boobs! long may it last, and seriously well done you for sticking it out thanks

orenishii (autocorrect just suggested penis for your name - never noticed that before grin ) ds2 has fed twice today, first at 2, second just now. swear he wants to make me look bad at the doctor hmm I was so hoping he was chubbing up and she'd let us off...fat (ha) chance now sad

man I'm knackered. I have discovered the secret to surviving days with both boys - behave like a cbeebees presenter all day without batting an eyelid. it's exhausting but ds1's had a great day and I don't feel like topping myself, bonus! maddest moment today - chasing ds1 round a massive bouncy castle at a toddler exercise time with ds2 in the Moby. ye gods my rickety pelvis...

smileyhappymummy Wed 09-Jan-13 20:16:53

No chance of catching up with everyone but as always, thinking of you all! Especially those with not enough sleep and / or miserable babies..... I promise it gets better, dd1 was a nightmare but it did improve. We are doing okish with sleep, prolonged feed to settle about. 8-9pm then feeds at 11-12ish then again around 4am. But she settles reasonably afterwards so I can actually go back to sleep which makes all the difference.
squid going back to work is surreal. Almost feels like I'm someone else, like putting on a bit of a persona (tend to do this to manage work anyway). This makes it not too hard plus so far it's always been dh looking after her so ive been absolutely confident in him. Might be harder when I'm leaving her at nursery.....

smileyhappymummy Wed 09-Jan-13 20:20:40

Meant to say I am failing on an epic level to exercise - just no time to do it. (excuses excuses). So I have bought just dance 3 for Xbox kinect (usually Dh's toy!). Thinking at least if it gets my heart rate up a bit it's a start and dd seems entertained by me jigging about and the nice bright colours..... Better than nothing!

OctoberOctober Wed 09-Jan-13 20:30:00

crazy I think DS would love it if I spent all day as a cbeebies presenter!

I want to find a tape measure and measure DS2, everyone keeps remarking how long he seems. Weight wise he has tracked 70th pc and was a hefty 14lb 14oz at 11 weeks. shock hv have consistently assured that he is a healthy weight as I have been worried he is too big, esp given that I am ff.

Londonmrss Wed 09-Jan-13 21:06:26

see that mars me think that these centiles are bollocks. we went to get weighed today (baby, not me) at 10 weeks and 5 days and were told that she's perfectly tracking the 75th. she's 12lb and 11oz... very different to what you were told October. I don't get it.

squidkid Wed 09-Jan-13 21:10:54

londonmrs the male and female charts are different that might account for it?

Centiles and growth charts are a very useful tool when looked at appropriately (ie over months not days) and when considering the context (ie summat else wrong with baby - good growth reassuring, poor growth then concerning)
Looking at them too frequently or out of context just makes parents unnecessarily paranoid. sermon over!

Orenishii Wed 09-Jan-13 21:30:16

I've inadvertently ended up having Q weighed last week (clinic), this week (10 week check) and advised next week to - surely that's just adding to my anxiety?!

I'm bloody sick of all this non-issue weight issue!

(Not us. THEM.)

Londonmrss Wed 09-Jan-13 21:51:51

are boys and girls that different at this age then?!

Elpis Wed 09-Jan-13 22:44:28

The advice to stop breastfeeding before you start running is odd. I've never heard it before. Just looked up 'exercise' in The Womanly Guide to Breastfeeding and there's no warning against it - just advice that you might want to feed just before a run to lighten breasts, etc. I'm sure everyone's PELVIC FLOOR is different, but oestrogen diminishes after birth whether you breastfeed or not.

Sent DD to her bedroom today after she kicked DS in the head and made him cry (accidentally, but after a warning because she'd already nudged him with her foot). Sigh. I shouldn't have shouted. I hit a difficult period between 2 and 4, when I used to be having a blissful nap with DD, and get quite bad-tempered.

YompingJo Wed 09-Jan-13 22:47:31

Mini yomping is being weird tonight confused. Keeps bursting into tears over goodness knows what - really anguished cries - and freaked out in her bath. Why would she suddenly get scared in the bath? Temp was OK, water level a tiny bit higher than last time but nothing major. She didn't cry, but splashed her hands a lot with an alarmed expression and kept trying to stand up, until I lifted her out. I'm assuming she was scared... she'd smile and chat if she was enjoying it, right?

And I've been running a bit and doing a bit of pilates at home (pelvic rolls and the hundred) and now I'm scared for my pelvic floor!

BoraBora Wed 09-Jan-13 22:56:33

Don't be! The gynae said I could run a couple of weeks ago. Fuck knows where this physio's getting her info from. I'm carrying on as I was; I don't feel like my womb's about to drop out so I strongly suspect it won't.

I just get annoyed with contradictory advice. If the evidence for best practice is mixed, absolutely fine, tell me that and ill make my own judgement. What I can't stand is people presenting opinion as fact anal scientist alert

lisbethsopposite Wed 09-Jan-13 23:03:55

Hi, awe here at the concientious parenting going on.
I went back to see what sling you loved squid. Are you still loving your butterfly .
Paul now cries in the moby so need a rethink .

My good news is 2 things. We moved nearer to our original home . I am back in swim club and loving meeting friends again regularly.
Then our au pair arrived last week and she is fab. I can leave the house !!

Bad news is a lump that developed in my vagina during pregnancy, turns out now to be a chronic Barthalains cyst . Regularly filling and emptying. I have had some very sore days. Anyway bottom line is an op tomorrow week to fix. Drain will then be removed next day, Friday . Dh just pointed out to me that we have Christening booked for next day with 40people booked for lunch !! Apparently they stitch this thing open to heal (marsupialise). My cogs are turning slowly but do i need to rebook??
Totally peeved as i had just started back swimming and i can't swim for 4weeks after this.

Also BF experts (*elpis crazy* & co). Paul has never taken a bottle or soother . I tried a few times, failed and gave up. I will be having a GA next week. I need to express (no prob) but have you any tips on how to get him to drink from bottle.

lisbethsopposite Wed 09-Jan-13 23:14:54

Pelvic floor ishoos come under the realm of WOMEN'S HEALTH. I am a PT but I don't work in this field.
I think the PTsounds like an expert in her field. I have heard from colleagues of patients who developed serious incontinence/pelvic floor problems due to running while and immediately after pregnancy.
Crying here...byee

Elpis Wed 09-Jan-13 23:18:09

Lisbethsopposite - have you tried Calma, the new Medela teat? DS took to it immediately. Otherwise ... Try offering the milk at a different temperature and ask someone else to hold the bottle. You could also try a sippy cup. They do become more accommodating as they grow older. Sometimes it's easier to go out for an hour or two. I found it distressing to watch DD refusing a bottle when I knew I had to go back to work. It wasn't until I left her for half a morning that she accepted it.

So sorry to hear about the cyst - it sounds very uncomfortable. If I were you I'd postpone the christening - I'm sure everyone would understand. x

Midgetm Wed 09-Jan-13 23:19:27

Hello everyone. Finding it hard to keep up but wanted to weigh in on the weight issue by saying I just don't get midge weighed. Saves the hassle grin. Keep a very infrequent eye in it myself and he seems to be high centile for length and mid for weight and I don't give two shiny shits. He seems happy and the growth charts can kiss my prolapsed arse.

Went back to antenatal clinic today. Odd with pregnant ladies and me with a fecking huge pram. Looks like I am in the prolapse club too - minor but being referred. Consultant said I could exercise and that Pilates would help as long as with a good instructor who you explain the problem to. blush. Load bearing crunches not good so keeping feet on the floor for things like 100's. Personally i would be too scared to run yet. Very tough on PF and add in the effect if breastfeeding on ligaments and i think if there is a weakness already it could make it work. Consultant said healing more likely when breastfeeding stops but would not advise stopping it yet. hmm my gym membership is suspended till end of the month and am sticking with walking (still feels funny) and pelvic floor DVD till the to build up mote strength. am such an old lady, envy you all your runs. I also had to clench with a gloved hand inside me - said the tone was fine wink but something in the wall amiss it some such gubbins. Exercises really Helping so hoping I can put most of it right. Oh deep joy.

Yomping how old is baby yomping? Midge went all weird for his 12 week growth spurt but seems himself again now. Do you think it could be that?

Best go get some shut eye. Midge had his 3 month jabs today and I had to give him his first dose of calpol. So brave when he had them but got a bit of a reaction. Calpol is marvellous. Sorted him out in no time. Night all.

lisbethsopposite Wed 09-Jan-13 23:44:06

Pelvic floor ishoos come under the realm of WOMEN'S HEALTH. I am a PT but I don't work in this field.
I think the PTsounds like an expert in her field. I have heard from colleagues of patients who developed serious incontinence/pelvic floor problems due to running while and immediately after pregnancy.
Crying here...byee

This thread is not accepting new messages.