Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dec 08 Mums - Happy New Thread, You Beauties!

(992 Posts)
beans37 Tue 01-Jan-13 21:04:52

Come join me....

McKayz Thu 10-Jan-13 22:23:56

DD is in her cot!! She slept in there all night last night and woke twice to be fed. I put her to bed with the boys about 7ish. I've just fed her and she went straight back in.

Long may it last.

Vagolajahooli Fri 11-Jan-13 09:17:16

Brilliant news Kayz, nice to know you are getting some sleep. How you look after those three while DH is away I do not know, your amazing.

Rubes how is the eye? I hope it settles soon and doesn't go to the other eye. What is the house thing, might you be buying the house after all?

McKayz Fri 11-Jan-13 09:40:57

She was up every 2 hours last night. So no sleep but she was in her cot.

ShadyLadyT Fri 11-Jan-13 12:33:07

Keep on with it Kayz. She will deffo get used to it and I am sure it will get better. Vag is right - three on your tod, including one very small baby, must be a lot to manage so hats off!

Rubena Fri 11-Jan-13 12:57:41

Thanks Vag n Shady. Eye looks much better though will continue the drops. It's not in the other eye but I've been putting the drops in both. It's been nicely transferred to dd though [sigh] mine was only ever red and glazy but she has the gunk and is not so keen about drops unsurprisingly.
No, shady, sadly mascara has not been applied since work (required to wear it) so should really chuck the old one I suppose.
Hey are you around 26/27th by any chance?
House thing, yes valuation was done but owner has asked they list it for a quick sale, we called owner and explained our situ and he wants to come around and chat about itshock so, not sure what that means but he has stressed he'd rather sell to us and agent has indicated he'd probably let it go to us closer to what we want to pay. Anywho, it means it might be a moneymaker again in which case we'd buy, do it up then sell in a couple if years. Agent said if we got it for what we want or slightly more we could sell it and make loads without doing anything. So, we may be back to plan A but small problem of money up front grin we are baffled as to what owner will say tho as he knows we aren't in position to do anything right now.
We should do a quick show of hands or get a list started (within this thread) of who is interested in cottage break, what dates cannot do and our locations?

Rubena Fri 11-Jan-13 13:00:35

Oh and well done Kayz! Also agree you are a trooper! How often does xdh have the boys?

McKayz Fri 11-Jan-13 13:05:57

I think I'll have to give it a miss. With still feeding DD who refuses a bottle and DH working away.

ShadyLadyT Fri 11-Jan-13 13:34:25

Ah, but it's always great to buy a new mascara! My last posh one was one your recommended, Rubes, (was it Lancome? Dior?) but I've been strictly on the Maybelline for a few months for budgetary reasons! I have always found Estee Lauder mascaras to be fab. Intriguing about house...Yes, am around 26/27! That's a pain about eye infection on DD. My two have had those, and getting the drops in is a bugger. However, swabbing with a cotton wool pad and warm salty water was tolerated.

Yes, am up for cottage break - weekend of 9th Feb less good for me but still not impossible if others could do it. Location: Oxfordshire. As I will be travlling alone, don't mind a long journey. Weekend of

There's a Eurostar sale on, seats for £29.50. I am taking the girls to Paris in early Feb (D travels free anyhoo). I am a glutton for punishment. Lille is a friendly, easy city. Paris is anything but.

ShadyLadyT Fri 11-Jan-13 14:01:19

Interesting debate about Kirstie Allsopp v the NCT. There's a thread here but I won't even bore you about what I think as I suspect you can all guess. However, I know there are plenty of people on here who have had a good NCT experience (and indeed other people I know). I do think, though, in Kirstie's blog post, the reply she quotes from the media woman at the NCT doesn't really do them any favours.

Rubena Fri 11-Jan-13 14:11:31

Add to the list if interested then copy and paste?

wine Cottage Break!! wine

Rubena Can do most weekends if have notice (4-6 weeks) as usually work weekends (when I do) but Feb not ideal. - Surrey.
LadyT Can't do Feb 9th w'end - Oxfordshire

Rubena Fri 11-Jan-13 14:13:37

Shady, it was DiorShow - love it. Might be in your neck o the woods that weekend as dh has a last review of some stuff before the big one - standby!

ShadyLadyT Fri 11-Jan-13 15:28:16

Ah cool, come over/stay, whatever suits. Slight possibility that DP will be up to his eyeballs in files but myself and the girls are around, and he can't work all the time...

By the way, not trying to incite corrosive debate about Kirstie A grin Feel free to ignore me. To be honest I haven't the will to get too hot under the collar about all the usual debates any more (I must be getting old!) - except, very broadly, the issue of SAHMs and assumptions about 'em. That bothers me. And what I basically think about that is...if you work out of the home or in it, or somewhere between, you end up anxious about your situation somewhere along the line, whatever you do grin

I love motherhood and je ne regrette rien, but I think anyone who has a kid, regardless of circumstances/choices, has to get used to chowing down on a big fat slice of GUILT PIE most days....

JamInMyWellies Fri 11-Jan-13 22:11:53

Booooorrrrrrrreeeeeeddddddd.

ShadyLadyT Fri 11-Jan-13 23:25:53

Oh dear, Jam! I am sitting in bed with a pile of reading matter (mags, in this case) - that normally sorts me out!

I'm at Mum's now. DD2 is asleep in the cot and DD1 is snoring next to me as we always bunk up here. Looks like I managed to kill the thread good and proper grin

beans37 Sat 12-Jan-13 06:58:21

Went to my first book club last night. Was lovely. More of a gossip than anything. Am knackered this morning. Girls up at 6.30. Why always at weekends but during the week I struggle to get them up before 7.30 ???? Sorry to everyone with perennially bad sleepers. DH due a lie in because of his long hours. My turn tomorrow!
Am out tonight, so think I might bags a snooze this afternoon.

Right. Need to let dog out for a wee. I love her now, hurray!

Beans, what book are you reading at book club?
Thinking of joining one here but a bit scared.
Billy up for two hours in the night and T up for the day at 5.30. Sob. Why does wine seem like a good idea at the time?
Can I ask those of you who have had kids who had operations under general anaesthetic how it was after? B having an op on Weds (endoscopy to see what damage reflux has done) and I'm a bit wobbly about it...

sybilfaulty Sat 12-Jan-13 12:07:26

Just types a huge post and lost it. Grrr.

Weekend : wd love to join but things looking busy next few weekends and into Feb. prob best to decide a date and approx venue and I'll swing in if I can. I am in London but can travel.

Am so fucked on work right now. I have worked past 8 two evenings this week and am just about to start readin g something for Monday. Thank god for tracey beaker! The electronic babysitter strikes again.

ArtigeneAuberchoke Sat 12-Jan-13 12:52:35

Just time for a very quick weekend-away-related-post (I'd love to have time to list the reasons I hate Kirstie Allsop even if she may have a point about NCT but I am baking all day as DH is entering his new work's Great British Bake Off next week and we are searching for the perfect recipe...)

Add to the list if interested then copy and paste?

Cottage Break!!

Rubena Can do most weekends if have notice (4-6 weeks) as usually work weekends (when I do) but Feb not ideal. - Surrey.
Arti Can't do any weekends up to and including 16 Feb, so if people want earlier I totally understand, after that I am free as a bird until the baby comes on 20 May - West London

ZuleikaJambiere Sat 12-Jan-13 14:19:24

Hi everyone, just marking my place and adding myself to the cottage break list ... or trying, I'm on the iPad and can't c&p. But I'm in

ZJ - not free 27 Jan, 9 Feb or 23 Feb. E Yorks.

I'm happy to travel, but would prefer to be near a station as I HATE motorway driving. Google party houses and you can find a range from v basic to fit for a queen.

DH and I both struck down with man flu, DD2 teething badly and not sleeping, DD1 absolutely chock full of beans - we're taking it in turns to do childcare and rest and not being competitive about how ill we are or how little sleep we're getting, not at all. I've been lurking, but lacking the finger energy to type

Arti are you free on Mon 4 Feb for another attempt at meeting for coffee? 11ish again, same place? I'm back down in London for another meeting

Back to the rest of you soon

poisondwarf Sat 12-Jan-13 14:29:29

Much as I love a corrosive debate, I don't know enough about Kirstie Allsopp to engage. I'm afraid she's in the category of "not for me - avoid" (as is the NCT tbh, but not for anything to do with the C-section vs natural childbirth debate). A quick Google of KA has just confirmed that as I suspected, she is very much Not for the Likes of Me.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling on the list Rubes - maybe we should be aiming for March-ish or even April? Easter hols start at the end of March (Friday 29th March = Good Friday).

Cottage Break!!

Arti Can't do any weekends up to and including 16 Feb, so if people want earlier I totally understand, after that I am free as a bird until the baby comes on 20 May - West London
poisondwarf weekend of 23rd Feb is out for me but happy for others to go ahead then if it suits everyone else best. Otherwise any weekend other than 1st week Easter hols (29th March-7 April).

poisondwarf Sat 12-Jan-13 14:31:09

Oops forgot location:

Cottage Break!!

poisondwarf weekend of 23rd Feb is out for me but happy for others to go ahead then if it suits everyone else best. Otherwise any weekend other than 1st week Easter hols (29th March-7 April) - Essex
ZJ - not free 27 Jan, 9 Feb or 23 Feb. E Yorks.

Indith Sat 12-Jan-13 14:50:24

quick post in middle of birthday weekend in the indith house. in laws here and I've escaped to feed the baby somewhere quiet.

a man came to clean my oven today. it is beautiful! mil went from hmm at my paying someone to shock smile [want] and is going get hers done. he took it all apart and did all the bits I can't get to like above the element and stuff. it is very shiny. and hopefully won't set the smoke alarm off so much!

Vagolajahooli Sat 12-Jan-13 18:16:53

Indith that is a brilliant idea. I think we might get this done next time we change over tenants. I didn't even know this sort of service existed. I bet it makes the oven more efficient, I wander if they have that here.

Cat I've never had a child go under GA but have nurse countless kids having a GA, either for major surgery or for investigations. What did you want to know? I personally have a terrible phobia of GAs myself, so if the boys ever need one I'll be beside myself. But that is just my own irrational fear of all the kids off sent off to theaters I have always picked them up later all safe & well. Hasn't B gone to theaters before? Or was that cancelled?

Vagolajahooli Sat 12-Jan-13 18:17:49

Oops sorry should have been a fullstop after fear.

Vagolajahooli Sat 12-Jan-13 18:20:20

Oh & on the weekend away I'll see what you come up with & see if I can get over for it. Location isn't too much of an issue as I can fly into either London or the midlands. If I fly into London I might be able to scab a lift with someone. Could pay for petrol for my passage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now