Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

November 2012 - the birthplosion (thanks Peaky)

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Tue 13-Nov-12 09:56:55
YellowWellies Thu 15-Nov-12 15:54:07

blonder what's the name then?

Just had HV round - Jonas is now 7lb 15 - he was only 7 lb 7 on thursday - what a piglet!!!

NervousAt20 Thu 15-Nov-12 16:55:23

Had my little one weighed today she's gone from 7lb 3 to 7lb 11 in 6 days grin the little madam loves to wee on me though! I striped her off and picker to her to go to scales which was no more then the width of a road away and she had a massive wee all down me and covering the floor.

YellowWellies Thu 15-Nov-12 16:59:27

Jonas pees like a horse - usually over one of two things - a freshly washed cover on the change mat. Or his Dad. He got me this am though. Little sod.

I feel we've had a really good day today - he seems to be turning a corner poo wise (how sad that's my first concern!!!!), I actually got house stuff done, had a good chat with the HV and am not a total zombie thanks to his vampire time keeping. I could sort of imagine life getting into a routine at some point in the future - where I'm able to cook, wash, leave the house, go shopping and have a bit of a life with him.

Am sure tomorrow will turn out to be a growth spurt from hell because I'm daring to think like this. But today I am really enjoying being a Mummy to a beautiful newborn.

NervousAt20 Thu 15-Nov-12 17:03:47

Damn posted too soon!

Going to try and pump tonight, me DP & LO are going out for the day Saturday to a mother and baby screening of twilight grin sad I know then going to a meal and Christmas shopping so really want to be able to give a bottle as I'm not confident enough to bf in public

GTbaby Thu 15-Nov-12 17:10:35

nervous mother n baby screening! I need to find me one of those. My sis n cousins r all going together n I can't go with them. Gutted. They said they would have a screening at home for me when it comes out on DVD. But not the same sad.
Will research baby screening now!

rowingdowntheriver Thu 15-Nov-12 17:12:35

Ha ha blonder, just read your reasons for and against the second middle name. We had the same situation with L's second middle name, Winston!

I wish they had a mother and baby screening of it round here. It's be great she doesn't cry because as soon as she starts rooting for food I can stick my boob in and she's asleep again!

Went out for lunch/ walk along the beach with my parents. Had to feed Q on the beach it was cooooold!

GTbaby Thu 15-Nov-12 17:14:07

Also nervous what r the practicalities? Will u take pram in? Car seat. Where will u put car seat. Would a sling be better?

I need to research this before asking DH lol

Evilwater Thu 15-Nov-12 17:30:03

GT - I'm in the same position when it comes to sleeping. My sister recommended cycling the babies les to get farts out. Fenal water where do you get that from?

Evil

ValiumQueen Thu 15-Nov-12 17:36:04

I am feeling quite good today. Been thinking about getting fit again as I loved being out for a walk today, twice, and went at quite a pace too. Been thinking about how I can improve my diet too. Shame my toes hurt as I would love to run again (not just yet). I am guessing this would be a bit silly after breaking my ankle. The PnT would be ace for running, at the pace I go anyway.

Great news about weight gains. Interesting comment about lazy third time momma latch. Nothing lazy about having 3 kids, but I get what they mean. DS would happily feed at 90 degrees to my body with his tummy facing anywhere but me, so I have to be sure to keep him in the tum to tum position. Today I have fed him in a more upright sitting position which seems to be helping a bit with his wind.

horseylady Thu 15-Nov-12 17:43:44

Cranial person interesting. She said she could see why he wouldn't/couldn't breast feed. We should not have been left 4.5 hours pushing. Never mind!! She 'treated' him will see what happens. Typically he went into relaxed baby mode!!

Vq no reason why you can't run after breaking your ankle, just be sure you really strengthen it and stop if it starts to hurt. Walking will do wonders for it before you even start thinking about running. Then do short running intervals. I can give you a reasonable programme if you wanted? The key is always starting properly and not skipping any stages! I can't wait to start but need to strengthen before I can think about running. I'll do it by walking lots and riding ;) or cycling a bit. Maybe.

I'll let dh do one night then!!

ValiumQueen Thu 15-Nov-12 18:02:28

horsey very interesting indeed. Hopefully this will help you feel a bit better about things. It will not change things, but understanding why rhings happen can help with the healing.

When I ran before I did the couch to 5K and would likely do the same as it works and is mostly quite gentle.

Izzybuzzybuzzybees Thu 15-Nov-12 18:36:29

Looks like my post got lost in amongst more interesting things!

DonnaDoon Thu 15-Nov-12 18:45:06

Hi Izzy I read your post but although I bf I do not express so cant give you any tips sorry but there was loads of talk about it on previous thread so hope this helps smile

GTbaby Thu 15-Nov-12 18:51:54

evil my mum made the fennel water from seeds. It's quite a common thing in Indian culture. If u have any Indian friends ask them. Or try Indian green grocers. Although I'm sure u can pick it up in tesco in the herbs section.

U add a pinch to boiling water n let it infuse. Then I put it in a flask of plain boiled water. I use the flask to make up bottles all day.

Also for bf/expressing mums I use some of the fennel water in my hot milk (or tea) which I have twice a day.

Catbag Thu 15-Nov-12 18:55:14

Was that re expressing Izzy? I'm not really an expert as I've mostly just bfed, but I've just started in the last 3 days. I've been expressing just once a day so far, after the babies' morning feed, both because it's the only time of day that they are guaranteed to have a snooze in their moses baskets and as that's when I have the most milk. I've been getting about 2oz off but I'd get a lot more if I could have 1 baby on the other boob! Unfortunately I feed them at the same time so that's not feasible. I noticed an increase in supply the next morning. Was a lot heavier of breast than usual! Some of the others are far more proficient expressers than I (I'm thinking of yellowwellies here!) and will be able to give more help x x

horseylady Thu 15-Nov-12 19:03:51

Izzy my understanding is to express after feeding. I have no idea which feed you should express after. Or for how long. Seemingly by body had no plans to breast feed!!

Vq yes starting to piece everything together now. It'll not change anything but today was useful as I didn't cry when talking about the birth nor about being unable to breast feed. Progress!!

I was also shown some massages for colic and his headaches. Hes flat out. I hope this continues tonightbug I doubt it!!

NervousAt20 Thu 15-Nov-12 19:20:35

GT the cinema that I'm going to ill take little one in the pram an can leave it at the back of the room and hold LO I think, I have emailed them to ask about that so ill let you know when they get back to me. They hve the volume abit lower and the lights abit brighter. I was pathetically excited when I found it

YellowWellies Thu 15-Nov-12 19:21:17

Izzy sorry I meant to answer your question but got distracted by housework, I find the very best time to express is mid morning - 10 or 11. Preferably with your baby in eye shot so you can get the hormones flowing. If you want a rich 'knock em to sleep' milk - then pump immediately after a feed. If you want a mix of fore milk and hind milk - pump an hour or so after a feed. I get the best results by double pumping (i.e. pumping both norks at once) and am still using the hospital pump which they kindly lent us.

For me the worst time to express is the evening as whilst your milk is fattiest it is also most scarce and there is usually a baby attached I used to get lots of milk in the middle of the night when I had to pump after each feed - but I found it hellishly tiring to do.

YellowWellies Thu 15-Nov-12 19:24:20

Oh and preservere with it - it can be a slow process building your supply when not using only a baby to extract it! The first day I got nowt but condensation, the next day I was jumping for joy at getting 10ml - now I can regularly get 100-150ml in a ten minute pumping session. Don't go nuts with the pumping or else you can get a massive oversupply very quickly ahem blush

Izzybuzzybuzzybees Thu 15-Nov-12 19:27:51

Thanks Donna think my hormones are getting the better of me. Everyone seemed to be posting to each other and not even mentioning my post!

GTbaby Thu 15-Nov-12 19:30:28

izzy not sure about sore nipples. Hope someone can help. Or if ur on a computer try search archives. Use the search function in top right hand corner.

Re when to express I think it's every few hours. Best at night ( although I can never stay awake) and in morning. However don't know about bf at same time.

blonderthanred Thu 15-Nov-12 19:36:25

VQ L is the same with positioning, I don't think he read the breastfeeding book as it is hard to persuade him into the right position. He keeps twisting his head round too far!

Has Jacob been weighed again and if so how was his weight gain? Sorry if I have missed an update although I think you said you don't want them to keep weighing him. L's gain seems a bit piddly compared to the others recently posted but I guess as long as it is in the right direction it's ok? Might be a few more weeks before he is at birth weight though. Started worrying I am going to stunt his growth later on although even Dr Google can't find any evidence of this.

YellowWellies Thu 15-Nov-12 19:51:17

Izzy to build my supply for expressing I was told to pump for 5-10 minutes either before or after every feed (doesn't matter which - if you pump before you get foremilk - after you get the richer hind milk). I now only pump once a day and actually haven't bothered today as we have a bit of a stock pile in the fridge and freezer.

Evilwater Thu 15-Nov-12 19:54:38

When I was trying/failing to breast feed, put dark or red cabbage leave in your bra. Works wonders.

As for pumping, I do it after feeding session so I have a bottle already to go. However this past week with getting out, it's not practical. So I do it when's I can, the early morning seem to be the best time to pump for me.

Evil ( still with no car)

This thread is not accepting new messages.