Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

FEB 2010 Two and a half to three...the "contrary age" (no it isn't! yes it is!)

(989 Posts)

Come in, sit down, fresh coffee is brewing, Prosecco's in the fridge for later and there's a bumper box of Lindt chocolates for all....

StoneBaby Mon 26-Nov-12 14:02:00

survival I hope your DS1 and your day is fine.

science all okay?

We're home today as DS cough is getting worse (after a week AB) so we're seen the doctor later on. He is still lively but his breathing is heavy and labourious.

If you're looking for an app to keep your LO entertained try 'dino hospital' DS loves it.

Waves to all

Sorry to hear about DS' cough, SB.

A much better night last night - only 3 awakenings before 06.00 from DS and no fidgeting otherwise and nothing from DD.

DD produced second day in a row (I think 2 sachets is the correct dose!) and has been a noticeably more content and adventurous, energetic child. I have a feeling more of the behavioural issues than we previously suspected have been linked to the withholding over the last few months. And suddenly she wants to walk instead of ride/be carried and to go outside again. Amazing the effect proper evacuation can have on someone's personality!!

StoneBaby Mon 26-Nov-12 19:58:37

IC that's such a great news. Fx it continues and her behaviour improves

DS chest infection is worsen in a week shock despites the AB. He's breathing is now wheezy so he's got a new AB and steroids to clear it...

survival how was DS1 day?

StoneBaby Mon 26-Nov-12 20:58:40

Oh and DS went to bed fine and staid there!!! Still early days but it's good news

Bearcrumble Mon 26-Nov-12 21:16:03

Hi - sorry I haven't had time to read or post for ages.

Just thought I would let you know I got DS's cough checked out and the GP said that they don't diagnose Asthma before the age of 5. I thought that was a bit odd as I know others on the thread have had a diagnosis? He said it was q normal for allergy-ish kids to cough all winter, listened to his chest and said it sounded clear and prescribed saline nasal drops and antihistamine syrup to be given at night if his cough was really bothersome.

Have been spending a bit of time weeding out unused toys and simplifying activities - making sure that if we have an activity in the morning then the afternoon is chilled out or vice versa - so no playgroups etc on mornings when he has nursery in the afternoon and limiting TV to half an hour to 45 mins a day while I cook dinner. I know some people would even think that much is too much but it is an improvement, I promise.

Hopefully at some point I'll have time to read back, but I hope all is well with everyone. x

Climbingpenguin Tue 27-Nov-12 08:33:49

I'm struggling with DDs new habbit of waking 3 times a night, the two waking nights are alright but something seemed to click when it's three (which is currently the majority). Seems different than babies, you have to fully wake yourself up and go and deal with her, then the distractions of asking for water/toilet/songs. We had a 30 min toilet session at 4am today. Then of course are DS's feeds interspersed, he has about two in the night. Plus the fact I'm having a few nights again of not getting to sleep to gone one.

sorry for the moan, feeling tired (and sore, hard badminton and climbing sessions the past two days and I did a run sunday as well)

we have a TV limit of 60 mins which is being reached as i adjust to no naps. DH has 30 mins with her in mornings (or evenings i tutor) so it never leaves me with too much

Climbingpenguin Tue 27-Nov-12 16:02:31

crap, I killed the thread with my moan

on the plus side, feeling much better than managed to get DD to nap today

StoneBaby Tue 27-Nov-12 16:13:08

No you haven't CP bad news about your DD sleeping pattern (and yours) it's full moon tomorrow so could that be linked?

DS is settling well in his bed and I think the reward chart is helping < push away the MN jinx>

Climbingpenguin Tue 27-Nov-12 16:28:59

apart from the fact we've only had one night with less than two wakings for over a month.

good news about the bed

Stangirl Tue 27-Nov-12 17:16:44

waves like a lunatic to everyone Helloooooo!

I've been off here for an absolute age - a year? But feel like I'll be back in the game now as I've just left work for good (hooray!) No idea what I'll do next but for now I shall be sitting on my arse playing on t'internet.

DD is finally potty training and doing quite well - only 2 accidents last week and some complex toilet work whilst out and about. She's still rubbish at eating though ie doesn't really like food other than chocolate and cake.

DS (nearly 18 months now) is adorable. He's had his tongue tie cut last month and so now I'm hoping for a few more words and has recently had Slapped Cheek but he just gets on with being happy.

So - how's everyone else? Apologies to those I'm FB friends with - I can't remember which nickname belongs to who on here.

BabyGiraffes Tue 27-Nov-12 18:16:57

I'm none the wiser after asking dd2 what she did in nursery today... 'I played outside and I tamed a spider and I found a beaver!'
Sounds more interesting than my day grin

Climbingpenguin Tue 27-Nov-12 20:03:03

DS is potentially getting his tongue and lip tie cut on thurs stan the laser clinic in london, is that where your DS was done?

StoneBaby Tue 27-Nov-12 20:55:44

stan welcome back.

CP I thought you were going to wait for your DS tongue tie

Well it seems that DS settling in his big boy bed is working... Let's hope it lasts

BG grin at your DD2 comments

survival how is your DS1?

IC how is your DD treatment going?

If I compare DS tv time to yours especially at weekends, he watches far more than your LO

StoneBaby Tue 27-Nov-12 21:18:21

stan about who's who check the fb group there's a doc with nickname - RL

stoofadoof Tue 27-Nov-12 22:28:53

<quick wave> DS running high temp, reached 39.1 last night… into fit territory gah
IC specially, i'll be back to talk more movicol, but right now i neeeeeeeeed some sleep…

SurvivalOfTheUnfittest Tue 27-Nov-12 22:42:39

Yay on the bed sleeping and bowel movements and general return of Stan!!

BC we had no diagnosis of asthma before 5 here, but they are still happy to prescribe inhalers for symptoms.

DS1 (and school) coped fine yesterday. This morning we woke up and his head wound had leaked so I booked to see the nurse. I took a random urine sample as he's been waking in the night for a drink, which is most unusual. Anyway, she said that I need to complain about the state of his wound and what a crap job they did at A&E and then found sugar in his urine. Maybe SB can reassure me here, but my only association with sugar in urine is diabetes. We are off to the children's ward tomorrow at 8am for a fasting blood test so that we have an answer one way or another (hopefully by Thursday afernoon she reckoned). I managed to stay really calm with DS1 there in the room, dropped him back to school with a big smile and then wept on the school secretary once he'd gone in, as I obviously had to tell school what to look out for and what was going on. Rang DH from the car and we both came home for a restorative hug. Then toddled back off to work with a forced smile and shaky hands. In one moment I am thinking that he isn't ill enough to be developing diabetes and on the other hand I know how thirsty he's been in the last week. Think of us...

I've written a very stern letter to the hospital and included photos of DS1's head last week and today. Tomorrow I somehow have to get the stuff off. I think I might ask the ward staff to help me as we're going anyway.

Sorry for the 'me' post. I can't think straight at all. Back here with more positive news in a day or two I hope. Love and sleepy thoughts to all.

BabyGiraffes Wed 28-Nov-12 08:29:11

Survival <hugs> sad

Climbingpenguin Wed 28-Nov-12 08:45:39

surviva; sad good luck

StoneBaby Wed 28-Nov-12 11:01:25

survival sad I inboxed you on fb

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Wed 28-Nov-12 14:06:22

sotu sugar in urine is not necessarily diabetes or serious. Hope it is all OK.
<hugs>

<waves madly back at stan>

Oh Survival this is awful - you SO need a break sad and so do your DSs....sending you loads of hugs....

Bc rubbish on the persistent cough, asthma or not. I think the Benilyn stuff is aimed at asthma coughs (the stuff that's for six year-olds plus, but I give DD a half dose to help her sleep and cough less if she's got that issue...)

CP that sounds like a truly horrendous night. Gah to your DD going back to frequent waking, it's the last thing you need.

stoof I hope he's feeling better today.

stangirl how ace to hear from you again!! Very brave to quit the job, good for you. Sorry to hear your DS has been poorly lately, glad he's also lovely! Good luck with the food with DD, never an easy one.... There are some interesting Supernanny episodes online concerning hyper-fussy eaters - all a bit older, though.

DD has been back in a daily no.2 habit since the weekend. I could see her trying to withhold it yesterday, but got beaten by the laxative. I guess when I can see she's relaxed about going and not attempting to stop it, I can start reducing the Movicol. I suspect it'll be a little while yet - after all, we've got about a year's worth of habit to break and DD has a VERY good memory....

Stangirl Wed 28-Nov-12 14:38:00

Survival - thinking of you.

Climbing penguin - DS had his done at Kings College (NHS). They also used a laser. I was allowed into OR and held him as he went under. As it reminded me of when I held my cat's paw when she was put down I became a bit bottom-lip-quivery and they had to expertly steer me out again quickly. The procedure took 10mins. Easy.

Stoof - DD fitted once when her temp was too high. Scared the bejesus out of me but she was fine with Calpol (although she was admitted to hospital as it was mistaken diagnosed as meningitis - it was actually a UTI).

DS still has his Slapped Cheek rash but has developed new pus/blistery type spot rash. God knows what this is now. He's has chicken pox. Temp up a bit. Bubonic plague?

Climbingpenguin Wed 28-Nov-12 19:07:50

DS won't be having a general though, not really needed for laser but the training in the UK isn't too good yet. This guy just opened but has been practicing elsewhere and was trained by the American laser expert.

Last night was interesting, DS woke up with pained cries for an hour then DD woke and did that dry cry because I wouldn't let her in the bed for 45 mins. Technically though DD only woke twice in the night.

I brought me dress for xmas today smile from primark

stoofadoof Wed 28-Nov-12 20:24:49

oh survival sad fx

IC DD never produced regularly, plenty of fruit and veg etc, only drank water, regular exercise - just never keen on going. went 11 days without when she got swine flu (which just happened to co-incide with our emigration smile) ended with enema and hugely helpful expat GP whose daughter had had same issues. short version is that used movicol for a couple of months, and she became happy about going, not worrying it was going to hurt etc etc… much improved! still needs encouraging to go now, but generally can get her to go before bed time. If she doesn't there's still a discernible impact on her behaviour and general level of grottiness - generally the longer since she's had a poo, the more unpleasant she becomes! have another issue now that she's refusing to go to the loo at school cos they've fitted some extractor fans that whirr into life as soon as someone goes in to the toilets - terrify her and her ridiculously active imagination despite the fact that i've gone into the loos with her and explained how it all works, how the sensor works, why they've done it etc etc… has recently started having wee accidents having not really had any since the second day of potty training 3.5 yrs ago!

stan DS had a fit back in june, then he had slapped cheek a few weeks ago! (in the meantime he and DD have also had rotavirus, adenovirus and ecoli ho157 which he's not yet been fully discharged from as he got complications with his blood and immune system).

ooh CP frock smile

stoofadoof Wed 28-Nov-12 20:28:07

stan bubonic plague grin

dunno what it was with DS and his temp, obv some sort of viral thing - he didn't eat for best part of a week, drank LOADS, hit 39.1 and stayed pretty much there for 48 hours… today? eaten like a horse, has some colour in his cheeks and hasn't got above 37 degs today smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now