Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Just Mumming Along (viroids 2)

(932 Posts)
Eskarina Mon 14-May-12 20:10:19

Tried to post on the original thread and my post got rejected as its full! Have copied and pasted below....

Congrats on the job offer ttl...hope the other one comes up trumps for you too.

Dd isn't quite crawling yet, but would very much like to. She is the queen of the Klingons at the moment, and has a meltdown the second I put her down, look in the opposite direction, or if someone else so much as looks at her. Not all the time thankfully, but definitely for part of every day.

On the bf thing, it's so personal.....I've just dropped doing the afternoon feed myself be cause dd is so distractible that she bobs on and off, which I don't like around other people, and now she finally has teeth the constant latch on/off was really hurting. I just bf once a day, our morning snuggle when she's nice and calm. I would be sad to give that one up just yet.

WingDefence Thu 19-Sep-13 13:22:00

Hooya don't expect things to go wrong and it probably won't! DS was a dream baby, DD is different (but not a nightmare by a long stretch) but I still wouldn't say things ever got that tricky with either of them ignoring DD's random sleep patterns and general lack of routine

smile

Pineapple80 Fri 20-Sep-13 09:43:31

Hoots, wonder weeks are weeks where your baby has developmental milestones. Often they can be a bit out character for a week or so & be a bit clingy and fussy. Don't think all babies get this way but I've noticed DS has during the weeks I've read up on. I find it quite fascinating as after the rough patch u really do see their new skills emerge smile.

Wing - I'm really interested in the baby led weaning! I'd like to try and use this with DS in a few months. Keen to hear more about how your DD goes smile. Are u totally avoiding any spoon feeding? I need to read a bit more about it anyway but it's nice to hear how you and the babies have found it.

Pineapple80 Fri 20-Sep-13 09:44:09

Tired - hope DD is feeling better!

Pineapple80 Fri 20-Sep-13 09:44:32

Hoots? I meant Hooya!!grin

WingDefence Fri 20-Sep-13 22:18:22

Pineapple I thought you'd gone all Scottish in us! Hoots mon! grin

I'm not doing BLW completely because I think dd a needs to learn to eat with a spoon and being spoon fed helps this.

Yesterday she had two fingers of toast and butter at breakfast time and shoved them in her face so hard you'd have thought we hadn't fed her for weeks!!! Last night she had some of DH's home made potato wedges (done in olive oil and a bit of garlic I think), again these were shoved in.

This morning she had toast and butter again, for lunch we were at a church lunch so she had some (very) cheesy mash, fed to her from a teaspoon on DH's lap with a tea towel tied round her neck! My DMum also gave her a teaspoon of custard until I told her off grin

Tonight she had some broccoli and some bread. I actually called her a little pig at one point because she really was shoving it in as if there was no more food in the house. She then had some yoghurt on a spoon from me but was more interested in getting the spoon herself and shoving it into her mouth feeding herself.

In other news we went to look around a childminder this morning who has been recommended to us by three separate people. She was absolutely lovely although her house was a bit of a mess but I would feel happy leaving DD with her. We're going to look at another childminder on Wednesday who has also been recommended to us but she's further away in another village whereas the lady today is in my DPs' town which would also help.

So much to think about...

tiredteddy Sat 21-Sep-13 19:36:36

Wing, glad dd is enjoying her exploration with food. Thinking about the childminder, I'd say a messy house is a happy housewink

WingDefence Sat 21-Sep-13 22:17:25

Cheers tired - I agree with that for my own home certainly! wink

We went out for a posh lunch today for my parents' 45th wedding anniversary (blimey!) and we gave Faith some of my peas, which I mushed up with the back of a spoon, plus DS's mushy peas from his fish n chips, plus a bread roll oh and some of DS's cheese soufflé starter! I couldn't believe it! She was DESPERATE to eat the peas which DS hates grin

She had a worse night last night sleep-wise but I know that with big development changes that can happen although it bloomin didn't ever with DS

How's your DD tired?

Pineapple80 Sun 22-Sep-13 10:30:21

Wow sounds like your DD is loving her food exploration (& consumption grin). So lovely to hear about it, keep it coming! Thanks!!

tiredteddy Sun 22-Sep-13 11:10:13

Thanks for asking wing, she is quite a lot better. Still a bit snotty but sleeping again. We do half finger food and half purée. Se will happily munch any soft cooked veggies e.g. Broccoli, potato chunks, carrots etc and soft cooked fruit like apple and pear. She eats soft fruits like banana with raspberries being her absolute favourite. She has what I would call mashed texture food in a bowl now and is the only baby I've ever known who prefers the peach and apricot yogurts over the pink ones! Sounds like your dd is doing really well too.

WingDefence Sun 22-Sep-13 21:55:58

Haha tired, DS loves apricot yogs best too but only smooth versions!

Because we've been out and about today, DD only got one meal poor thing! I wanted her to have something from a spoon so I did a portion of relatively thick baby rice with normal whole milk and added a teeny bit of my mum's homemade lemon curd for flavour, warmed up a bit. I tried a bit an it was basically like ready break but rice not oats and she loved it. Which is good as I have a whole box to try to get through! grin

Tonight I was going to give her some cous cous with a chunk of chicken and some arrow from the casserole we were having but she had a late nap and missed tea! I've saved it for tomorrow smile

WingDefence Sun 22-Sep-13 21:56:58

Carrot not arrow - bloomin ios7 screwing up my ipad typing! confused

Pineapple80 Mon 23-Sep-13 06:08:41

I'm getting some fab tips and ideas on solids already, thanks ladies! Sounds like trying to get baby to have what everyone else is having (within reason!) is a good tip.

DS is doing well over here. Has had a week or so of bring unsettled, likely to be growth spurt, regardless I am knackered! grin

Tired - glad DD is better smile

Hooya Mon 23-Sep-13 08:28:58

Thanks Pineapple I'd never heard of wonder weeks, it really does help to be prepared! Our motto for DS has been "prepare for the worst and hope for the best" so this is really interesting to know!

Wing I so hope you're right and things don't get too tricky! I would love to stay in this baby bubble for a while longer grin

Wing and tired it's lovely reading about your weaning adventures - it seems so fun from how you write about it! It's one thing I'm really sad about re going back to work, that I won't be around full-time during that phase sad

Here it's all still good, DS remains brilliant. I do need to get better at BFing outside the house though, I feel really clumsy and always moments away from boob flashing - any good tips? I have one of those pretty bib things but I am still not great at it!

tiredteddy Thu 26-Sep-13 19:05:12

Poor little dd has the worst nappy rash. So sore. She screams. When wiped and cries when sitting down. She'd rather lay on her back again. It's rea lily pitiful poor thing. Any ideas or recommendations of what creams to use?

WingDefence Fri 27-Sep-13 08:31:43

Teething tired? I can't remember what we used for DS's bum, but it would have been sudocreme or bepanthem or probably both. Poor thing sad

Hooya using a bib would have stressed me out - I'm not a fan I'm afraid! I find it far easier to just have a big floaty scarf draped over or, once I got the hang of it, a muslin tucked into my bra strap.

In reality, no one will be looking and you'll be flashing far less than you think!

StuckOnARollercoaster Fri 27-Sep-13 08:55:04

Tired I read lots of threads on here about nappy rash as daisy had a bout not so long ago, and most of those recommended yellow metanium, back to water rather than wipes and as much nappy free as you can realistically do. Got the cream and was prepared for lots of laundry and it did ease. One thing my midwife said about the cream is to make sure the skin is as air dry as it can be first and to just apply a thin layer rather than slapping on loads so the skin can still breathe a bit.
I can remember that horrible vinegary smell and whenever it comes back I'm back to the water and metanium to nip it in the bud before it takes a hold again. Hope she feels better soon.

Hooya I found it was just practice and confidence that means I can deal with DD falling off and I can quickly just latch her back on with minimal skin showing. For us if we use scarves/muslins we both get hot and a bit more bothered so I find its the right choice of outfit - I like loose tops that can be pulled up and a vest underneath that can be pulled down and I've virtually given up on nursing bras with their fiddly clips and trying to fold them out of the way so that DD can latch on (probably not good long term for keeping them perky but I'll think about that in a few months!) I also try to sit myself so I face away from everyone so no one can really see what's going on anyway. Hope it gets easier soon!

Pineapple80 Sat 28-Sep-13 08:24:13

Tired, hope DDs nappy rash gets better. Sounds horrible. I can't use any commercial wipes on DS as it irritates his bottom and gets a rash we had to go for a natural/organic version. I also sometimes use dry disposable bamboo wipes with a spray bottle of water. Does the trick almost as well as a pre moistened and packaged wipe.

Hooya, just practise bf in front of mirror few times. It helps build confidence and then venture out a few times and you will be fine. Stuck mentioned the loose top and best combo which is great, you can really avoid flashing any boob doing this smile. I have a feeding cover/apron by Bebe Au Lait which is fab, I use it when I'm out and prefer more privacy. The covers have an open bit at the neck where u can peer down at baby and comes in lots of diff fabric patterns.

tiredteddy Sat 28-Sep-13 17:22:44

Thanks for kind words and advice pineapple, wing and guinea. Think it is teething related though there is nothing to show for it. Now it's a lot better. I used metanium with sudocrem alternate changes. She is much happier now and in fact very close to crawling! She can get onto hands and knees really easily and back to sitting. She reaches far by walking her hands forward but hasn't yet started moving legs too. My home is no longer safe...blushwink

Hooya Sun 29-Sep-13 03:48:06

Hello all!

tired so glad it's got better! And exciting about crawling, though yes I guess loads of babyproofing the house then follows!

Thanks all for the advice re bfing in public. Pineapple I have the apron thing by the same people, and I am starting to get the hang of it. We were out last night for a friend's birthday and I fed him twice outside in this lovely beer garden place - bit stressful getting him latched but once I did it was really nice and natural! I think because I'm in Japan I'm extra paranoid, as people are very private here - but you're all right that I need to just practice, have confidence and go for it!

Huxley is now almost 3 weeks old and for the last 2 nights is down to one night feed at 4am, but otherwise is letting us sleep through from 11ish until 8am grin god I hope it lasts! He is changing fast too - his little face looks different today than yesterday!

Pineapple80 Sun 29-Sep-13 11:59:08

Hooya, sounds like Huxley is such an easy baby! You're very lucky! Very cute photo too smile. I was going to ask about how people generally are about BFing in public there in Japan. Sounds like you did really well! Australia is much like the UK really.

tiredteddy Sun 29-Sep-13 13:24:22

Agh last message I meant stuck, not guinea! Oops!

Hooya sounds like you are getting the hang of bf indeed. Well done you. And yes baby proofing is it now and constant hoovering, my front door opens onto the street straight into our lounge so I paranoid about leaves, grit, dirt etc and fern putting yucky bits in her mouth.m

Hi everyone else hope you are all enjoying the weekend x

Kittenkatzen Tue 01-Oct-13 01:16:30

Hey JSers! Can I come and join you now please?! smile

William was born at 11.59pm on 20th September, so he is now 10 days old and doing really well. We were discharged by the midwife today after he gained 6oz over his birth weight in a week! The little piglet now weighs 8lb 12oz! Bf going really well despite a tongue tie, which we're currently debating whether to have snipped or not (thinking yes, anyone have an opinion/experience?).

Labour was pretty hellish - 36 hours, back to back, starting out as planned in water at a lovely midwife led centre but ending in an emergency ambulance ride to hospital where W was finally delivered by forceps after an episiotomy and 3 failed attempts with the ventouse. Poor little man was a bit bashed and bruised on arrival sad

Talking of the little man, he's just finished feeding so I'm off to sleep for a bit!

StuckOnARollercoaster Tue 01-Oct-13 16:22:13

congratulations kitten!
what an arrival - so even more impressive how well you are doing with breastfeeding and weight gain.
oh and I do wonder if dd has a bit of a tie, as I don't think she is an efficient feeder - takes a long time and can be quite fussy and struggle if she is overtired or upset, but we decided to not bother intervening - it just means I have to sit in front of the tv for longer while I feed her!

tired - don't worry! I struggle as I usually am on the phone which is fine for reading posts but a nightmare to write one!

WingDefence Tue 01-Oct-13 22:36:00

Woohoo kitten! Congrats smile smile smile I thought it was standard procedure to snip tongue tie but I guess if your DS is feeding well there isn't a need? Don't ask me though!

I've made it to six months feeding DD which has gone so quickly. She's had one bottle of ff a day since 13 weeks but I am completely at peace with that grin Going to start reducing the boob and move her more onto ff in the next couple of weeks because I'm back at work at the start of Nov (boo).

Right, I'm v tired and as DD still isn't sleeping through, I'd better get to bed... Good nights to all x

Hooya Wed 02-Oct-13 06:04:50

Welcome kitten! And congrats on getting through such an exhausting birth! 3 attempts - wow! He looked well for it and not bashed at all though smile

Wing can't believe it's already Oct and you are back to work in Nov, time is just flying isn't it?

I had my 3-week check with my obstetrician yesterday and it was brilliant - he has signed me off to exercise, says all my healing is going great, and I can judge what I can and can't do which is brilliant. My scar has started to lose its numbness which is really good too (it feels pretty strange when numb!). Now if the lochia would just go away - can't wait for that to be done!

Otherwise all is good, Hux has been a bit more fussy the last couple days, but just crying for an hour or less each evening, so nothing really to complain about!

On Friday we have to go to the embassy to register him as British to then get his passport - how funny we have to get a wee picture of him for it, like he's going to look anything like this for long! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now