Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

January 2008: I'm four and 'they're all mine!'

(647 Posts)
latrucha Thu 01-Mar-12 20:19:27

Sorry Simposn. Just couldn't resist. grin

LaTrucha Fri 12-Apr-13 20:58:00

S did try saying in a sarcastic voice in the early, 'That's a 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10' which jut ogt her sent to her room straight away. The good thing about it for me, although as I say I don't use it for everything, is that it gets around all that, 'I'm cleverer than you' stuff because it's not about talking.

For what it's worth, for the author, the time out doesn't start until they've stopped screaming. With S that could be all day until she is sick, so I cut my losses and it just starts from when she's in her room.

I do also like the fact that it doesn't have a material reward. I find reward charts etc very short-lived in their efficacy. For example, she had her baby doll taken away today which she won for sleeping well as she had started waking up for the hell of it (she had one genuine nightmare for which she got cuddled and then just ran wih it). All she did in response was pick up another doll.

Anyway, make of it what you will and feel free to pass it on grin

Danny can be very defiant at the moment but I can get round him so easily it's scary. All I have to do is whisper, 'who's my baby cat?' in his ear a few times and he crumbles into smiles. It's a joy and long may it last.

JKSLtd Fri 12-Apr-13 20:58:47

No, I never got round to buying the main one. So yes, post it on at some point.

Actually I remember going to check on T when he was on the naughty step years ago and he was moving up and down with his hands on the step behind him (hard to describe"). I asked what he was doing?
'Exercises like Sportacus' grin hmm

I had to laugh!

("like press ups but backwards?)

JKSLtd Fri 12-Apr-13 21:00:42

With H now, if he's wobbling and has a sad face, I can pull a similar face and it makes him crease up.
Then we move onto other silly faces and it's all over.

But of course that requires me to be in the mood to play/not busy/otherwise occupied/etc.

LaTrucha Fri 12-Apr-13 21:23:57

grin If I try that with S or D they howl!

simpson Fri 12-Apr-13 22:10:31

If I waited to start time out till M stopped screaming I would be waiting all day <<sigh>>

I can count on one hand the amount of times J has ever been on the naughty step.

I used to have a travel cot in the front room (M was a biter) and when ever she bit she went in it and I made it boring ie no toys etc. she would have been 2.6 at the time and she just said "it's ok mummy I am tired anyway" then lay down and pretended to sleep <<sigh>>

LaTrucha Fri 19-Apr-13 20:18:44

Did you get it Simps?

simpson Mon 22-Apr-13 22:27:28

Yes, it arrived safely thanks grin

LaTrucha Fri 03-May-13 12:53:03

Hi guys,

How is everyone (especially Filly's mum and Madmouse)?

I thought you might like to know that my CV difficulties were resolved by a chance encounter with an old colleague in the high street, and I now have two jobs as an examiner for A'level (only in exam season twice a year obviously) and I have an interview next week working with the WI which I would really like to get. So all is looking up there. Enjoying the sunshine too and looking forward to Danny being 3 on July 1st (though not quite so much to me turning 40 on July 12th).

Sabela is being very difficult at the moment. she is consistently deliberately naughty and when I bring her up on it she twines on for 20 minutes about how I am calling her naughty and that she is a good girl and how dare I etc. 1,2,3 eh simpson? The moments when I catch sight of the real her are delightful though, and I try to make the most of them with her.

JKSLtd Sat 04-May-13 17:42:56

LaT - i am so glad to hear the cv thing is sorted, it has been bugging me on and off for a while!

We're all fine, well I'm being a grumpy cow today but i'm hoping it's just a passing bad-sleep phase thing and not a reaction to the pill that i've been on for just over a week.
I reacted very badly to Cerazette a few years back and went a bit crazy/moody. But the DC4 discussion is off the table, for now. Still keeping stuff in case but mostly I think we're ready to say we're done.
Mostly...!

The kids are all fine, T has his birthday coming up soon, we're having a Lego themed party at home, i just hope not everyone can come to keep the numbers down! His school generally do a whole year invite thing so i only gave the invites out yesterday, party in 2 weeks, hoping lots can't make it <meanie!>.

H is brilliant, a right chatterbox now, and not waking too early <touch wood> at the moment.

M is amazing, scarily bright, and a total bossy boots grin Have packed away popper vests and hoping to sit her on the potty a few times tomorrow. She'll sit on the loo but no success as yet, and she's desperate to be a 'big girl'/have a 'big girl cup/plate/etc' so think she'll give it a fair go.

H will sit properly on the loo now which is progress, and understands the bribery of a wee = lots of stickers, but no success either from him yet. One day...

We've booked a week away in France for half-term, to stay with family, hoping the driving goes ok, and the weather is kind to us.
also looking at lots of camping options over the summer <hopeful>.

Filly - I hope your mum is doing ok. My mum is about to restart cancer treatment for her myeloma, we're all staying positive for now as there's no real alternative...

LaTrucha Tue 07-May-13 19:54:44

Thanks JKS. Any chance seeing his sister on the potty might help encourage him to use the toilet? Having said that, children never really do what you expect. I hope the treatment isn't to rough on your mum.

Parties? Tell me about it. Sigh.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow. Job interview. I haven't told many people in RL so you'll need to say a little prayer for me smile

simpson Sat 11-May-13 23:26:07

LaT - how did the interview go?

All good here, M seems to be behaving herself if I keep her busy and let her think she is "helping me" in day to day jobs ie changing bed sheets, putting laundry away.

She kept saying "Mummy we make a good team!" (Even though I could get things done twice as fast without her).

I went to a literacy meeting at DC school on Thursday and the HT told me M is a " handful" grin blush

LaTrucha Mon 13-May-13 19:56:09

I got the job (pending references)! smile So, after all that stress, I now have three part time jobs. smile Two of them examining, so very part time and one 40hrs per month. I think I got it because I made them all laugh. When I came downstairs from the interview, the next candidate was waiting looking terrified and said, 'You sounded like you were having a good time!' Which I was. I've been worrying I was too flippant but it seems it swung it for me! I start on July 1st. Off to start making now. It's going to be made for the next two weeks.

LaTrucha Mon 13-May-13 19:57:08

marking, not making.

mad, not made.
Tut.
Not very secretarial.

simpson Thu 16-May-13 22:37:43

Oh, well done! grin

We have the dreaded world book day next week <<sigh>>

Molly wants to go as Matilda but I have a feeling she won't be happy when she sees all of her little friends in their Cinderella, princess type fancy dresses etc...I have bought her some new hair ribbons but am thinking of persuading her to go as a nurse (only fancy dress outfit we have). The only book we have with a nurse is Topsy and Tim go to hospital.

Any ideas?

J is easy, he wants to go as Charlie Bucket (so basically his own clothes with a golden ticket - which we will make).

All is good here, M is the usual handful and I think school are starting to find her a handful too blush

She has been discharged from OT/physio (which I was happy with at the time) but I have started to notice she is struggling a bit lately (and school have noticed it too) but the chances of getting her more physio/OT on a regular basis is slim as there are kids worse than her I guess...sad her school have someone who does physio/OT with her so maybe I need to chat with her and see what she thinks.

LaTrucha Thu 23-May-13 22:33:56

Sounds like an idea Simpson.

How is she now? Approaching half term S is screaming tired every night. D, although going FT ATM, is alot more chilled as usual. All he wants is to corner anyone he ca to 'show them his jumps.' He has quite a few. I cannot understand how I got two such different children.

What did you decide on for Book Day?

I am very chuffed about the job. I start in a month. I am really enjoying being a working mum (with the marking, which is hard but easier than looking after children all day!) which is annoying considering how hard, in various ways, I have found the last few years. I have to bear in mind though, that I couldn't have done it while pregnant, caring for tinies and parents.

How are you all?

Fillybuster Fri 31-May-13 17:43:39

I'm still here, but hardly get onto MN these days....sorry, I do think about you all (a lot!) but the full-time working thing is immensely hard with all the other family stuff I'm juggling....

My mum has been dealing with treatment amazingly well, and it seems to be working. I can't remember how much I shared on here at the time, but in the end she was diagnosed with a very aggressive and unusual type of brain cancer, more like leukemia than normal cancer, which has been known to respond to treatment (a good thing) but tends to come back very quickly (not so good). Anyway, so far, the treatment has cleared both tumors so now the doctors are trying to decide what she should do next in order to avoid a recurrence. I think its going to involve stem-cell treatment (so about 3 weeks in a white tent for her, and absolutely total hair loss, which she is dreading), but if that works when she has a chance of about 5-10 years remission.

Which, as she points out, is long enough for them to find another way to treat her when she needs it...

Apart from that, life continues at full pelt. It is Mia's 3rd birthday in 3 weeks (eek!) so starting to make plans for a party in the garden again (hopefully it will be dry....). Ari and Tamara have been on half term this week but I've hardly seen them - they've had a nice week just hanging out with friends and doing crafty stuff with our lovely aupair. Sadly she's leaving in August, so we're on the hunt for the next one...!

How is life with everyone else?

Congrats on the jobs LaT- that's fantastic smile

So sorry to hear about your mum JKS - sending lots of love your way. I can't believe you're still thinking about #4! I finally had a coil fitted a few weeks ago and its been such a relief finally coming off the pill - although I must admit my hormones have been a bit haywire!

How are you Simpson? Surviving half term?

JKSLtd Tue 04-Jun-13 11:30:51

Filly - so glad your mum is doing well.

My Mum is feeling rubbish with her treatment but I think is doing ok really. She doesn't feel very positive about the number of different tablets she has to take but hey ho.
And your Mum is right, 11yrs ago my Mums treatment was so different (and awful), things move on so quickly.

We went away for half-term, those on FB will have seen, it went well but H was not well the second half. A few vomits, and lots of 'not quite there' episodes. Nothing definite seizure-like but left us feeling worried. And his talking is not back to speed like it was before. More worry.

There is loads I should be doing, but I'm watching the royals on telly instead blush

And re number 4 - it really is 99% off the table, i'm firmly on the pill and we're planning all sorts for the future. Seeing my SIL who's 6 months pg made me really think I didn't want it to be me. I mean I love being pg (mostly!) and having a snuggly baby. But the going back to the beginning/the light at the end of the tunnel moving even further away/etc is just too offputting. Or I'm too lazy! either way.

Thinking of moving M into a bed this weekend and we've taken down the lower stairgate & kitchen gate. So much easier to walk around! and fewer thigh-height bruises for me i hope.

LaTrucha Fri 07-Jun-13 21:44:27

Jumping on to remind me to read tomorrow. X

LaTrucha Mon 10-Jun-13 19:45:47

LOL JKS - Danny put pain to our gate between the kitchen and living room by pulling it right out of the wall (it was screwed in) while I was upstairs in the shower. shock He is very into spiderman at the moment so climbs everything and we are running out of spaces to put things safely. He is doing brilliantly with full timme nursery while I am marking but he is picking up a few tricks!

I know what you mean about not going back to the beginning. I would be persuadable if DH wanted more but I would find all that a struggle, especially pregnancy. Life seems to be shaping up ok with two smile.

Sorry to hear about H's slip back. How is he now? D has been in a bed for a while and it's been fine.

Hope your mum is feeling of. HAving to take lots of pills can be a drag. Makes you feel like a sick person aswell as being one.

S is ok, though really pushing the boundaries when she feels like it. 'There was a little girl, who had a little curl' was written about her.

Filly - that sounds very promising about your mum. You sound in good spirits too. Any luck with an aupair? Are you enjoying the new job? I am contemplating a garden party for D too, although if it rains we are bggered as our house is far too small. Blooming hate all this party stuff, apart from making cakes of course. D wants a monster truck shock which I really don't have time to do but I have worked out roughly how to so I guess I will try.

New job starts in July 1st. I'm still marking and marking, although I was supposed to have a couple of weeks between finishing one lot and starting another. They asked me to do more though so am feeling very rushed.

Simpson - how are you doing? How is Molly at school now? And how is your course?

Madmouse - if you're there, HELLOOOO! smile

LaTrucha Wed 12-Jun-13 09:31:44

paid not pain!

madmouse Wed 12-Jun-13 10:04:20

We would love another one but for all sorts of reasons it has not happened. Not giving up yet though. Although I think I would mind less than DH would if we just had Nathan. The idea of doing baby time again is daunting. On the other hand might be different to have a normal baby time, my experience is very much coloured by Nathan's issues.

We are trying to find a new place for dh. So far one church called him for interview that never should have, one turned him down after a long time of deliberating and we are waiting to hear from one that dh has decided to turn down even though an offer is likely, as it doesn't feel right. One more pending, they are short listing tomorrow...

JKSLtd Wed 12-Jun-13 13:20:14

MM - wishing dh all the very best, what is meant to be and all that, but stressful atm for you all.

Am trying to pass stuff on/give away baby stuff as I can in an effort to persuade my mind that it's all over! Had another dream about it last night, a good sensible friend with 3 had number 4 and was talking me into it - i know in RL she definitely is NOT having anymore so it's just my mind playing games with me.

Trying to sort out the mountains of girls clothes we've been given, very generous and lovely but a bit daunting at the same time, clothes until age 7 in various piles!

simpson Mon 17-Jun-13 00:03:34

Gah, not had any Internet access the past week sad

Much love to those with poorly loved ones, my gran is v ill atm and any day now we expect the call sad

Kids all good, M still a handful! Although she has been happy this weekend as she has had 2birthday parties to go to.

She has a lovely friendship going with a boy in her class (the teacher calls them Romeo and juiliet) so she was happy to meet him at both parties.

The big news is that J has been scouted by Reading football club grin but they want to wait till he is 8 before signing him.

JKSLtd Wed 03-Jul-13 21:05:48

Sorry guys, been awol.

Simps - yey for J!!!!

quick private rant: spent most of my evening on the phone to friends who want DH to do something for them.

end of rant before i get all cross again! Have had a glass of wine and forgetting about it for now.
At least I hope to get paid for this from Sept!

LaTrucha Fri 05-Jul-13 15:22:23

Are you going to work for DH, JKS? Sounds good.

I'm sorry I've not been on lately. I am working flat out getting all this marking done, and starting WI work and lots of other things. I'm getting very tired out now but hopefully will be a bit freer in a few days.

I do think of you all often. How are all the little ones? Sabela fluctuates between being lovely and absolutely horrible. She keeps hitting her brother several times a day and nothing I seem to do makes any difference. I think she's a bit shaken up by my not being universally available any more. She hasn't actually had many changes, but I suppose it is quite a big change for her.

D is now 3! And I am 40 next Friday shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now