14 quotes that prove the nasty party is still just as nasty as ever(205 Posts)
Weve all heard nasty quotes from Tories such as Hang Mandela, The homeless are what you step over when you come out of the opera etc etc which prove just how nasty the nasty party really can be. But those quotes are all pre-Cameron who likes to claim his party has changed.
Well, here are a selection of quotes from Tories from the Cameron era which prove the nasty party is alive and kicking and just as nasty as ever:
1) Neil Burden Tory councillor in Cornwall and lead member for Childrens Services referred to the expense of keeping handicapped children alive and said there were too many disabled children who cost too much.
2) Steve Hilton - senior adviser to David Cameron and Tory strategy director said the government should boost economic growth by abolishing all working mothers maternity leave and rights.
3) Iain Duncan Smith Tory Work and Pensions Secretary quoted the Nazi slogan above the gates of Auschwitz Arbeit Mach Frei (work makes free) when he said about the governments workfare programme that work actually helps free people.
4) Iain Duncan Smith again - this time on how lazy disabled workers are: Is it a kindness to stick people in some factory where they are not doing any work at all? Just making cups of coffee?
5) Philippa Stroud senior Tory strategist and adviser to Iain Duncan Smith said that poverty, sexual abuse and homosexuality are caused by demonic possession. In her book Gods Heart for the Poor she blames the death of a poor girl living in a hostel on the fact she hadnt the will to stick with being a Christian and so God was calling her home.
6) Boris Johnson Tory Mayor of London - on same sex marriage: If gay marriage was OK then I saw no reason in principle why a union should not be consecrated between three men, as well as two men; or indeed three men and a dog.
7) Chris Steward - a Conservative councillor in York said people shouldnt donate food to food banks because poor families cant budget and if they were given food would only have more money to spend on alcohol, cigarettes etc.
8) David Jones Tory MP and Welsh Secretary obviously thinks LGBT people are not safe for bringing up children: I regard marriage as an institution that has developed over many centuries, essentially for the provision of a warm and safe environment for the upbringing of children, which is clearly something that two same-sex partners cant do.
9) Richard Powell - Tory councillor and campaign manager for Tory MP Conor Burns was temporarily suspended as a councillor but then reinstated after he admitted sending racist jokes from his phone which targetted Muslims, Indians, Irish people, Pakistanis and black people.
10) Philip Davies Tory MP for Shipley - thinks disabled people should take a lower rate of pay than the minimum wage to help them get on their first rung of the jobs ladder because that is the real world we live in.
11) Christopher Chope Tory MP for Christchurch regards people like waiters and waitresses as servants. Talking about a visit to a House of Commons restaurant he said: The service was absolutely fantastic because there was three-to-one service three servants for each person sitting down.
12) Peter Chapman a Tory councillor in Dorset complained on Facebook about the terminally slow (and bad) service from the bone idle bitches at Costa Dorchester and said the waitresses: all need a good beating.
13) Bob Blackman Tory MP for Harrow East said he thought the Torys infamous Section 28 law that banned teachers from talking about homosexuality should be brought back: Section 28 was the right rules to have in school so that we should not in any way shape or form promote same-sex relationships
14) David Cameron Tory member for Witney when talking about the bedroom tax, said that Anyone with severely disabled children is exempt from the spare room subsidy. This is particularly nasty because its a downright lie as this article shows:
IDS is the vilest of the vilest.
yes, Tory Party even nastier than before. Thatcher would not do some of the things Duncam Smith is doing
'To imply that neo-cons are in anyway Trotskyist is misleading'
I said they have TYroyskyist roots They were leftists originally. They took over much of the real conservative movement over time, but their roots are on the left.
A chart from the Washington Post showing the progression
The man who delightedly accepted the title of neoconservatisms godfather passed away on September 18 at age 89. Sad to report, the neoconservatism Irving Kristol fastened on conservative Republicans endures, and it is not good for America.
After years as an unabashed youthful Trostskyite in New York City, Kristol claimed that the excesses of the New Left in the 1960s and the crimes of communism drove him into the Republican Party. But in his 1995 book Neoconservatism: The Autobiography of an Idea, he stated, I regard myself as lucky to have been a young Trotskyite and I have not a single bitter memory.
Praised for his so-called contributions to the conservative movement and the Republican Party, Kristol was much more the personification of a Trojan Horse within Americas right wing. His own definition of the movement he launched, given in his 1995 book, claimed that neoconservatism accepted the New Deal in principle, and had little affection for the kind of isolationism that then permeated American conservatism.
Accepting FDRs socialism and rejecting Americas tradition of minding ones own business and avoiding entangling alliances defines what it means to be a Trotskyite. Also a strong supporter of the United Nations, Kristol never ceased being Trotskys disciple.
Describing American neoconservatism as a branch of Cold War liberalism, John Ehrman's new study overlooks the Trotskyist roots and missionary mentality that prolonged and escalated the Cold War.
John B. Judis is Senior Editor at The New Republic and author of Grand Illusion: Critics and Champions of the American Century.
>Do you realise that the neo-cons come from Trotskyist roots?
cant let that just sit there unchallenged, a few people on the left previously communist party members in the states left because the party refused to condemn Stalin. The party was wrong. To imply that neo-cons are in anyway Trotskyist is misleading.
I'm glad we agree on that vital matter
Claig. Yes, no gagging of the Mail!
Yes, ironman, it's getting interesting. The progressives want more controls on the free press and Cameron is on the side of the press. It will be interesting to see who wins. I hope they never manage to gag the Daily Mail - the paper that hits them where it hurts!
claig You spoke about the 'free press' we won't have a free press if Clegg and that idiot Miliband get there way. Blair wanted to shackle the press also.
Looks like Cameron's out on his own on this one.
The neo-cons work for the bankers, they don't want to expose them.
No that is conspiracy theorists and ordinary people exposing that. The neo-cons aren't thiose people. The neo-cons are an elite group of people who don't expose those type of things. The neo-cons are mainstream Fox News types, not conspiracy theorist ordinary people.
The only sensible thing to come out from the neo-cons is the exposure they are giving to how money comes into effect and the relationship btw the creation of money and debt.
Do you realise that the neo-cons come from Trotskyist roots?
It's a funny old world and not what it seems.
I don't believe the conspiracy theories, some nut jon ne-cons are going about the web claiming that Marx was a secret illuminati figure and a attended the free masons. Really??? na, absolutely no proof of this and to be honest his down time in london was either sent inspecting boils, drinking too much or hiding from debt collectors.
Ken Loach was on Newsnight and he said something like the welfare state was soon taken over by the old elite and the Labour Party let it happen. I don't know enough about it so I didn't get teh full picture.
Yes, good points, the elite did fear communism, unless you believe the conspiracy theories that the elite encouraged communism - with Marx and Engels in London writing the Communist Manifesto.
yy, a huge racket with private landlords cashing in on tax payers money.
>But I still think it is wrong. The conditions in 1880 were much worse than thiose in 1945 and yet there was no welfare state then.
The conditions in the factories were appalling and much of this was written about by Engles in "The Condition of the Working Class in England" I think written in about 1850 ish. www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1845/condition-working-class/ you can read the whole book here
Then came the chartist movement and a lot of working class agitation for change, the french revolution, the paris commune, unrest in Germany so on....all the way through to the eventual crisis and depression of the 30's which was caused by the capitalists greed for profit over paying wages. A crisis of no demand.
What was the response? well Roosevelt went to the elite and told them cough up or be prepared for the communists to come knocking. He levied 90% taxes, invested the money on creating social welfare and investment into infrastructure and building. It worked. Same here, after the war we have embedded liberalism (social democracy) with keynesian economics and we had boom.
Which is why the greed of the capitalists create welfare need and the crisis and only the working class can save capitalism doom.
The elite never wanted welfare and the NHS, it was demanded of them because it was necessary to stop the commies, it also prevented the almost certain cyclical crisis and actually it was beneficial to the capitalists because enriched workers spend money.
Correct the cost of living if raising wages will increase inflation.
In that can anyone justify the cost of housing? Buy to let landlords profit ridiculously which drives up housing benefit and house prices. So profits over a certain level (note profit - mortgage interest, repairs are tax deductible) should be taxed more highly to correct house prices. When the mortgage is paid they will still have their asset for their pension, and they can still make some money from letting, but not be milking the taxpayer.
Energy firms making billions in profits - again not saying they shouldn't make any money but over a certain level whack up the tax. Same with water rates, grocery retailers...
OK thanks for explaining that. I didn't realise what your position was.
But I still think it is wrong. The conditions in 1880 were much worse than thiose in 1945 and yet there was no welfare state then.
I saw Ken Loach on TV and I like and admire him, but I think he is wrong about the welfare state. I think it was created by the elite and not teh workers in order to unite teh people in an effort to rebuild a destroyed nation after the war. I think the elite wanted strength through unity. Also the welath that capitalism was capable of generating meant that a welfare state was a possibility. The elite had a postwar consenus that lasted until the seventies and with Thatcher they changed their philosophy.
I think we are now seeing the elite's plan to scale back and wind down our welfare state and reverse many of the benefits that we had become used to.
Capitalism is richer now than it was in 1945, but the philosophy has now changed and we will see a rolling back of our rights. New Labour can pretend all they like, but they were part of it and inherited Thatcher's mantle.
I'm now laughing at the thought of Phillip Green giving his money to the UK government begging them to feed the poor
hahhahahah, no. CapitaLISM not CapitaLISTS have created the conditions under which welfare provision is needed. The greedy bastards wouldn't care if everyone starved as long as they worked and consumed while they did it !!
'As for requisitioning peoples knickers and all manner of small fry personal belongings'
It wasn't there knickers. They are easily replaceable. It was their paintings, their jewellery, their wealth - things acquired by families over generations. It was highway robbery by apparatchiks at the point of a gun. Innocent defenceless people robbed by party hardmen prepared to enact violence. It was disgraceful and I don't ever want to live like that.
'That state is now not democratic'
We are lucky to live in a good state with the rule of law. Yes, there are many things wrong with our state but one great thing is that the free press exposes the gagging clauses and teh shocking stories of patients having to drink from vases and lie in their faeces in our taxpayer funded hospitals. There are great people in our country who continue to expose what is going on and we hope that improvement will be teh result.
Yes global fiance is too powerful. But solving that will not be so easy as their power is immesne. But let's not give up hope, let's jkeep exposing what is happening and hope that someone sorts it out.
I think you are wrong about our welfare state.
You seem to think that the welfare state was created by capitalists out of their good will and is a sign of the failure of capitalism i.e. that if capitalism worked then there would be no need for a welfare state. I disagree with that. Your real raw capitalist don't give a shit about anyone, so they would not create a welfare state because they cared that capitalism was failing to provide for people.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.