What would Christmas mean to you if you didn t have your faith?

(77 Posts)
sunnyspot Tue 17-Dec-13 17:43:29

Just that really.
I was pondering what I love most about Christmas.
Having fun talking, sharing meals and playing games with family and friends of course, but the highlight is always our candlelit carol service and my faith in God.
Take any of those away and I really don t think I would enjoy it at all..

BertieBowtiesAreCool Tue 17-Dec-13 21:49:18

Yes, you could say the same about marriage - as in, if you have faith marriage is something different than just being in a committed relationship and being committed to each other. Christmas is a celebration with the family and if you have faith, then presumably it adds an extra dimension to that.

Gunznroses Tue 17-Dec-13 21:51:38

Sunnyspot whatever or however you say it, people like this WILL find something wrong with it, the thread couldn't have been clearer, what's getting their hackles up is you having the affront to say that God is the center of your xmas! That is the problem.

msmiggins Tue 17-Dec-13 21:53:33

But that wasn't what you said- you said if you took your faith away the you wouldn't really enjoy it at all- I'm sorry you are shifting your stance here.- people are simply responding to your original post.

technodad Tue 17-Dec-13 21:54:05

Gunznroses,

Which begs the question of why the thread was started in the first place.

It is like posting a thread titled:

"What would a game of football mean to you without the ball"

Followed by:

"Just that really.
I was pondering what I love most about football.
Having fun swearing, running around and falling over with mates and the referee of course, but the highlight is always kicking the ball, especially getting it in the back of the net.
Take any of those away and I really don t think I would enjoy it at all."

well derrrr, of course you wouldn't like playing football alone, or without a ball, but why start a discussion about it?

The difference is, a game of football without a ball would be pretty shit. But Christmas day without faith can be a brilliant day, possibly the best day of the year.

DioneTheDiabolist Tue 17-Dec-13 21:56:43

Sunnyspot, it's not you. Some people here are very intolerant of believers. Even perfectly worded and posts seeking support are twisted and used in their crusade against beliefs.fsad

technodad Tue 17-Dec-13 21:57:53

msmiggins said "But that wasn't what you said- you said if you took your faith away the you wouldn't really enjoy it at all- I'm sorry you are shifting your stance here.- people are simply responding to your original post."

If the thread title has asked the question: "What would Christmas mean to you if you didn t have your faith?"

People have provided a view point!

I am going to lie down in a dark room now, since I don't think you could have been any less clear about your intentions for this thread!

technodad Tue 17-Dec-13 21:58:44

Dione - Some people here are very intolerant of believers. Even perfectly worded and posts seeking support are twisted and used in their crusade against beliefs.

examples please.

The OP clearly points out that she doesn't think that she would enjoy Christmas without her faith. Why does every thread have to turn into a faith vs no faith thread?

I hate these sanctimonius christian types. I would say the same about sanctimonius athiests.

technodad Tue 17-Dec-13 22:03:29

The thread title clearly asks a question (it even has a question mark), why are people only allowed to answer the question if they agree with the OP?

msmiggins Tue 17-Dec-13 22:03:44

Why do christians have to start threads claiming the moral and proprietorial high ground?

Helpyourself Tue 17-Dec-13 22:05:19

Lots of people don't enjoy Christmas. It's a stressful time with big pressure to buy lots of stuff and spend time inside with relations you don't see much of.
I don't think having a faith makes it much more special, gives a context perhaps. Easter is the more relevant festival.

BertieBowtiesAreCool Tue 17-Dec-13 22:07:33

shock I don't come onto this section very often, am shocked at these responses. Is it usual on here? I don't think the OP was looking for any kind of high ground at all. She was sharing what makes Christmas special FOR HER. Not in any way saying that it's "less special" for others. Just that SHE feels it would be less special FOR HER.

Why do some posters insist on taking offence at somebody enjoying something that they don't believe in?

Where has the OP claimed the moral high ground.

She said that she wouldn't enjoy it because her favourite things are things associated with faith. She did not say that everyone should feel the same.

Is it usual on here

Unfortunately it is. There are some posters who want to attack anyone with faith. It is not a safe place to post sad.

technodad Tue 17-Dec-13 22:12:23

Maybe posters need to be clearer with their thread titles then!

Seems clear enough to me.

technodad Tue 17-Dec-13 22:17:10

Bertie,

Is isn't really the most offensive comment in the world. Sure, I was a little bit inflamatory, but it is nothing in comparison with some comments christians have made to atheists on MN.

For example, I can post you a link where a christian told the mother of a dead child that god caused the child's death because she (the mother) needed to develop spiritually!

mercibucket Tue 17-Dec-13 22:18:50

i dont see it as anything to do with jesus tbh. before i was christian it was about a mid winter festival and now i am christian it is still a mid winter festival
nothing in the bible about celebrating it
i dont think jesus woukd have wanted his birth celebrated (just my pov)
it isnt when he was born
it doesnt celebrate his life and actions
it is timed to coincide with winter solstice

i love christmas as a winter festival

No this board it isn't a safe place to post as there are atheists who post here who hate Christians and do not respect anyone of faith although I notice that they don't have a go on the Islamic threads only the Christian ones.

To return to the OP. It was a long time ago that I did not have faith but I loved the family and feasting and party element of the midwinter break and still do. What makes this time of year special for me as a believer is midnight mass when the church goes quiet just before we start the service and we have arrived; Christmas as a religious festival can start now. Silence, then carols and candles and the familiar words of the mass and John 1 1-14. Love it. Then it is back to the feasting and family and party bit.

Annunziata Tue 17-Dec-13 22:25:09

I love being a Catholic at Christmas. I was telling my DD about the baby Jesus and we went to see the crib, and I was thinking how lucky I am to be able to share that with her. It is just so happy.

I think it brings me closer to Our Lady as well, thinking of her in that cold dark stable with all the animals, with her wee boy.

I also get quite teary, thinking about back home and how they will be in Mass at this time, doing all the same things that we are doing. It's such a special link, and back to my childhood and to my grandparents as well.

Helpyourself Tue 17-Dec-13 22:37:17

fhmm and fgrin at the iconoclastic posters yawn lower casing Jesus.

technodad Tue 17-Dec-13 22:37:18

This isn't an unsafe place to be, don't be melodramatic.

I love loads of Religious people, even if I don't agree with them.

I also enjoy a good debate.

However, to say I don't respect anyone with faith is simply not true!

For example: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/philosophy_religion_spirituality/1939441-Shooting-stars-symbolism

There is an Islamic area - I'll be back in 20 mins.

I think the 'I hate these sanctimonius christian types' is a bit of a clue. Hate is a strong emotion and in the medium of the internet where all body language and nuances of tone are lost then someone expressing hate is going to come across as very negative.

DioneTheDiabolist Tue 17-Dec-13 23:01:03

Greenheart, you say you "have noticed that they don't have a go on the Islamic threads". There have been some very anti Islamic threads recently.

technodad Tue 17-Dec-13 23:04:09

And I presume you have to be atheist to be anti-Islamic do you?

You assume atheists are anti Christian too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now