Is Jesus copied from an Egyptian God?

(86 Posts)
PenguinBear Fri 12-Apr-13 18:28:37

I am trying to work out where I am religion wise at the moment and clearly DP and I are not on the same page.

He is adamant that Christianity is made up and has said that The story about Jesus is almost an exact copy of that of an Egyptian God called 'Horus'. I have done some research and it does appear there are many, many similarities. As DP pointed out, Horus came first so how can Jesus be true?

This has really sewn huge seeds of doubt in my mind and wondered what other people's take on it is?

HolofernesesHead Tue 16-Apr-13 13:03:01

Oh no! Not another head explosion! I'm sorry! smile

madhairday Tue 16-Apr-13 13:08:45

I have plenty of those, Holo grin

time for a nap

EllieArroway Tue 16-Apr-13 14:04:15

Mad & Holo - Happy to resurrect the thread if you'd like to. Perhaps one of you could find it? I'll come and look tomorrow.

I have this book, Mad - can heartily recommend it. Easy to dip in and out of.

Sorry you're not well. Have some thanks and some brew and a jammy dodger to dunk in it biscuit.

Holo, I think you are right that someone writing about Jesus much later on would embellish the story with bits taken from (other) myths. Even if their intent was honest they might do so to make the point of how powerful/good he was. This is human nature and I expect that hasn't changed in 2000 years.
If I were describing a friend who was a great sportsman I might say "Oh he has won 100s of gold medals and things" which might not be literally true - and my audience would probably guess I was exaggerating - but would convey what a great sportsman I considered him to be.

However no matter how understandable and normal that urge is it still diminishes the reliability of the account.

Also when you say "in many biographies, real people are compared to literary figures - why can that literary feature not be present in the Gospels?" that's not quite the same thing is it.

For example it would be ok to say that Archbishop Carey is as brilliant as Einstein (especially in a retirement speech), but to say that he was the one who came up with the Theory of Relativity would be just an embarrassing lie and not a comparison at all.

Mad hope you feel better soon.

niminypiminy Wed 17-Apr-13 06:57:43

Ellie I apologise for bringing up that earlier thread and your exit from it. It was a mischievous thing to do, and I knew that it would annoy you.

I am taking a break from debate threads. I find it very hurtful when people are angry with me, and although I probably should be better able to cope with that, at the moment I am not.

I hope you will not mind too much if I say that you have been very much in my prayers over the last couple of days.

The Lord bless you, and keep watch over you.
The Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you.
The Lord look kindly upon you, and give you peace.

Niminypiminy

EllieArroway Wed 17-Apr-13 07:12:05

That's lovely, Niminy and it means a lot. Genuinely. Thank you thanks.

How about we wave a white flag at each other and start again, huh? If we resurrect the thread, then please join when you feel ready and we'll have a robust, but respectful, discussion about these things - just because they are historically interesting. Deal?

Hope you feel better soon smile

madhairday Wed 17-Apr-13 13:39:08

smile

That has just made me happy ^^

Thanks for the get well wishes. I was actually feeling really fed up yesterday as I'd got dd tickets to see one direction tonight with her best friend, and was thinking I couldn't possibly make it, but thanks to a lovely friend and helpful staff at the LG I'm going to, so things are much happier smile

Looking forward to the next stage of the Jesus thread!

Mad that is great news.

EllieArroway Thu 18-Apr-13 00:52:41

Aww. Hope DD had a wonderful time smile

madhairday Thu 18-Apr-13 12:51:05

We all did - it was brilliant! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now