I'm sure I'm seeing ghosts.

(143 Posts)
GreeenFingers Sat 13-Oct-12 17:27:03

I work late afternoons as a cleaner in a school. The building is not that old, perhaps built in the early eighties.
It isn't remotely creepy but when I started I was sure I coud see children in the place, long after they'd gone home. Just fleeting glimpses that would make me turn my head. Thre was no " aura" or chill in the air that you sometimes associate with ghostly activity.
I tried to ignore it, not because I was frightened because I wasn't, but because I thought it might be my anxiety at having to do this job ( I had to take any work following redundancy)
However, although I'm very settled there now I am seeing just as much activity.
I have not mentioned this to all my collegues as I dont want to freak them out.I told my supervisor who informed me she had seen things in the old part of the school, that is set apart from this annex.
Has anyone else had such an experience?

Thistledew Tue 30-Oct-12 21:47:13

I heard a ghost once. Well, I didn't, or at least I didn't know what I was hearing at the time.

I was at a pub I was working in at the time with about half a dozen other people having a drink after closing time. I was on my first drink as I had been on shift. I was sitting with my back to the door, when I heard the door open (with a distinctive squeak), and someone walked in and went around the other bar out of sight. I heard the footsteps go all the way across the pub, and then a man speaking in a drunken, slurred and angry way, although I couldn't make out what was said.

When he didn't re-appear around the bar, I went to see who it was that had come in. There was no one there.

It was absolutely impossible for anyone to have left the pub without me seeing, and all the other people in there were sitting down an nowhere near the area where I heard the sound of the door, the footsteps or the angry voice.

It sounded so normal to me that I asked the landlord where the person had gone, in complete puzzlement. He told me it was the resident ghost, and that he saw him often.

garlicbaguette Wed 31-Oct-12 00:27:55

Oooh, Thistle! Did he ever vary his routine? Ghosts seem to have a very repetitive afterlife in the main. It must be as boring as ... er, purgatory? I'd like to think your pub ghost gets to do a pub crawl round the village and the odd game of dominoes with his ghost mates, at least smile

GreeenFingers Sun 04-Nov-12 19:57:47

It's been a while but now for an update. Have been off work for a week ( half term).Before we broke up had a brief chat with the lady who used to clean my area. She asked;" so how are you finding it?" " OK, thanks, but it's bit spooky at times"I relpied." She chuckled.
A new mwnber of staff started the week before we broke up. She was lovely and we really clicked.However, all the staff noted that al the cleaning products,buffers etc were getting moved around,and kept blaming each other.
I know this was nothing to do with the new member of staff as I was mentoring her.It was bizzare. I found three identical products in my " hidey hole" and I only ever have one of each. A vacuum cleaner vanished for hours and was found in another part of the building. I'm not saying it was the work of ghosts, but there was something very strange going on

slalomsuki Mon 05-Nov-12 09:45:00

I don't believe in ghosts but I live at what was an entrance to an old stately home which was knocked down by the "historically aware" council in the 1960's. The locals tell me that it is renowned for a white lady ghost who lives on what was the drive way to the old house just outside of hers. I have never seen her.

But further down the main road I pass a part which is where the servants of the house would have walked to work from the local village. When I drive past this place which I do at weekends I often see a "picture" out of the corner of my eye of a man in a dark jacket watching the servants gate. When I loom there is nothing there and I don't see it every time.

I am rational and don't get freaked about this but one of my kids commented on seeing a man there when there was nobody which we all laughed about but was an interesting observation.

GreeenFingers Fri 23-Nov-12 21:52:36

Well now something very interesting has happened. I have been told many times that I have an uncanny " knowing" about people. At least ten times this week ,people at work have asked me if I'n psychic?? I never thought that ,but in conversations they have asked how do you know so and so, and the conversations have been so fleeting. I just answer; " Wel it's a bit like " cookies" I just glean stuff"! they were not convinced. At a nearly new sale, I thanked a complete stranger for donating her jacket. She said " how did you know it was my jacket?". I couldn't say why.I just knew. Sometimes I am scared by my predictions. I told a friend that Prince Philli[ wouldd be gravelly il at Xmas and she said " well, he's old" I'm frightened to open up to people I meet in case I'm tooo forward. I'm seldom wrong.

belle1992 Wed 07-Aug-13 19:33:20

I think some people are naturally more sensitive and in touch with their spiritual side, I'm slightly psychic too greenfingers, didn't ask to be and It doesn't bother me It's just part of who I am. There's so much we don't know about the unknown! To most of us we're intrigued and find these stories of ghosts and spirits exciting , and there's some who don't have the ability to see the world as anything other than what we see with our eyes and touch with our hands. They mock those that believe because they can't understand it, I would much rather be able to experience my life in 3D than 2D.

IndigoBarbie Wed 07-Aug-13 23:44:56

Well said belle smile

CoteDAzur Wed 07-Aug-13 23:55:45

Wow, a thread fom 2012. You sure can see dead stuff, Belle smile

LEMisdisappointed Wed 07-Aug-13 23:57:59

A zombie ghost thread!!

LEMisdisappointed Wed 07-Aug-13 23:58:42

you are on this thread though Cote grin

CoteDAzur Thu 08-Aug-13 00:02:05

Oh yes, I am. I was more blunt then.

I have mellowed with age (not) grin

daftdame Sun 11-Aug-13 12:01:12

Hmm the Bible does mention spirits and people being able to discern them, as a gift, but also prohibits 'communing' with the dead, medium type activities etc. I expect because it can be dangerous...

Just because you can detect a presence does not mean you are 'communing' with the dead though.

Personally I think there are all sorts of things we can potentially perceive, however we just don't know much about them. If you read anything about eyesight and the way the brain perceives the information delivered through the optic nerve there is all sorts of potential. I think there is probably all sorts of spiritual stuff in this world, it is just we don't always perceive it.

daftdame Sun 11-Aug-13 12:03:49

Hah I've just noticed Zombie Ghost thread grin.

misskatamari Sun 11-Aug-13 19:27:57

Crikey - the comment that "ghosts don't exist" is merely your opinion. You cannot quote it as fact as it isn't one. Maybe they do, maybe they don't.

headinhands Sun 11-Aug-13 21:19:31

Crikey - the comment that "ghosts don't exist" is merely your opinion. You cannot quote it as fact as it isn't one. Maybe they do, maybe they don't.

If I told you that there was an invisible leprechaun living under my bed would you believe me? Would you be as ambivalent about that claim as you are of ghosts? If not why not?

IndigoBarbie Mon 12-Aug-13 12:58:57

I'd believe you headinhands

headinhands Mon 12-Aug-13 13:30:51

That's really great because he just told me you gotta send me £50 ;)

daftdame Mon 12-Aug-13 13:33:38

Indigo He's an evil leprechaun don't listen to him!grin

headinhands Mon 12-Aug-13 14:06:38

Yeah I think he is too actually. How can I get rid of him?

daftdame Mon 12-Aug-13 14:10:48

daftdame Just ignore him, he feeds off attention...

headinhands Mon 12-Aug-13 14:45:04

I think I'll keep him. It's a good excuse for why my bedroom is a mess smile but seriously, how do you decide if what someone claims as the truth. You must have some sort of discernment you use?

CoteDAzur Mon 12-Aug-13 15:58:08

Indigo - I think you just left "open minded" territory and crossed into "mind so open that air blows through it" grin

misskatamari Mon 12-Aug-13 15:58:26

Headinhands - of course not. However plenty of people have had experiences which they can't explain and do believe in the possibilities of ghosts. I didn't say I personally believed in ghosts - just that it can't be stated as FACT that they don't exist as we just don't know. Personally I am open to believing and am not going to tell people that what they may have experienced isn't real just because at the moment we don't know if they are real or not.

I just don't like blanket putting down of others opinions because they don't fall in line with another persons belief which was the point I was making.

If the poster had said "I don't believe in ghosts" fine but saying "they aren't real" as a blanket shutting down statement annoys me.

daftdame Mon 12-Aug-13 16:27:11

The Bible talks about 'spiritual discernment' which is supernatural, in that you can know what is good without reasoning.

Strictly speaking 'ghosts' would not be actual dead people but 'spirits'. People who had what would now would probably be described as having schizophrenia or multiple personality disorder are described as being 'possessed' by spirits. This makes sense because they are delusional, they do not have a true perception and Jesus preached the Truth. If you think of the word Zeitgeist, spirit of the time, this fits in with how spirit and perception are linked. Also, I believe, in a way bad experiences can 'haunt' people if they affect their thinking and physical condition very deeply, trauma can involve hallucinations as well, as in 'Gulf War syndrome' and 'Shell Shock'.

In Christianity every living person has a spirit (essence, core, dictating thoughts / actions), soul (cognitive, thinking part) and body.

The common modern day understanding of the word spirit I think is slightly limited, it tends to refer to just essence left when someone dies. The only 'spirits' a Christian would commune with is The Holy Spirit. A Christian's 'spirit' does not roam the earth after death.

headinhands Mon 12-Aug-13 18:16:11

just that it can't be stated as FACT that they don't exist as we just don't know

The person making the claim has to provide the proof. I cannot say that there is no such thing as ghosts because I am not omniescent but what I can say is that there is no data that constitutes evidence and as such have to assume that it's extremely extremely unlikely what with it contravening all the known laws of physics and so on.

If I start taking personal experience as evidence, then I am intellectually forced into believing not only every single supposed supernatural entity that I have ever heard of, but also 4200 different religions, and I'm a busy gal!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now