MN Etiquette.

(186 Posts)
Carmenere Mon 21-Jul-08 11:29:10

I think that mn needs a bit of a guide to its specific local etiquette.

There are tons on unspoken 'rules' on here that you don't know if you don't live on spend lots of time on here.

Swearing in thread titles offends some, not me as it happens, but I do know it offends others so I don't do it.

Text speak is obviously a no no.

Ghoulish thread titles in the news section are ill advised.

Writing without paragraphs is another one that causes confusion and upset.

Basically it can be a bit of a minefield for a new poster. I don't think that it deserves a whole topic but maybe folks could add to this thread and it might be a good place to direct newbies to.

Carmenere Mon 21-Jul-08 12:34:34

And if you do quote another mner in a post do not put (sic) after it to denote that it is their bad spelling not yours as this comes across as terribly snidegrin

slim22 Mon 21-Jul-08 12:37:17

arghhhh i can't stand that quoting business

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 21-Jul-08 12:45:24

The fisking can be annoying, but, in a very fast moving thread it's quite helpful to see what folk are referring to in their posts.

fryalot Mon 21-Jul-08 12:46:22

By PuppyMonkey on Mon 21-Jul-08 12:32:22
Actually, I hate it when people cut and paste chunks of your post. Comes across as really arsey to me...

Especially when they then just put: "I disagree with you." or something deadly dull after. You just think - what's the point!!??

I know what you mean. Irritating, isn't it wink

PuppyMonkey Mon 21-Jul-08 12:48:01

grin squonk

And the date and time thing makes it just that little bit worse too...

onceinalifetime Mon 21-Jul-08 12:48:48

((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))) and hun not a good idea.

EffiePerine Mon 21-Jul-08 12:51:23

avoid the following terms

hun
hubby/hubbie
bubba

EffiePerine Mon 21-Jul-08 12:53:19

Use paragraphs and punctuation in long posts or you will lose 90% of your readers

avoid using 'loose' for 'lose' wink

don't start threads saying 'I am soooo fat I need to loose 2 lbs to get inot my size 8s' if you eant to avoid sneering and rotten fruit

ScottishMummy Mon 21-Jul-08 13:02:37

i also dont like the Cut and paste business.to paste someone else sentiments/narrative and then a "Oh you said"seems very childish (like telling tales Oh But miss she said...)

Pasting lacks imagination - is your response only to cite someone else?did it not get you going in any way whatsoever

Traipsing subjective (bad?) feelings about one post across to the other. Cliquey and let it go moooove on

Starting cliquey self referential threads "i love BigBlahBlah best she is MN royalty who is your fave MN (desperately hoping for a namecheck)

being snippy about spelling/punctuation/grammar. it is pippy and unnecessary.posts are fast moving, we respond at speed.sad if you only comment on a post is spelling.

if you want harvard referencing and good grammar go elsewhere

hunkermunker Mon 21-Jul-08 14:00:44

Read what posters actually say, rather than what you think they're saying [bitter experience]

youngbutnotdumb Mon 21-Jul-08 14:06:59

Don't have an opinion which is out of the norm you will be accused of being a troll.

Carmenere Mon 21-Jul-08 14:11:43

If you are name-changing to post about something controversial or sexual it is a good idea to validate your authenticity by dropping in a few references to mn history so as to avoid being accused of trollism.

foxymolly Mon 21-Jul-08 14:13:16

Make sure you read the whole thread before jumping in with assumptions and accusations.

ExterminAitch Mon 21-Jul-08 14:14:38

oh yes foxy, that's a good one. or at least if you haven't read the whole thing, say so.

Please don't use

>>>>>>>>>loads of ~~~~~~~~punctuation~~~~~~~~~~ marks in thread titles<<<<<<<<<<

Oblomov Mon 21-Jul-08 14:50:38

Can we have a top 10 rules then ?

nooka Mon 21-Jul-08 14:54:25

Don't be arsey about "unwritten rules" as in posting on a thread where someone might be really upset about something in RL and asking for sympathy and support, but get instead gets some righteous person going on and on about something that happened in past history which the OP may be completely unaware of (or may be just their opinion any way).

I also find it annoying when someone says something about someone else's post and gets "oh but x has been a member here for years and can do what the fuck she likes' or "you can't say whatever it is you just said because y has had some experience/disability that makes her above/exempt from such things". These are nasty little put downs, and unwarranted.

madamez Mon 21-Jul-08 14:56:01

Don't shit on the keyboard with rage. Especially if it's not your computer.

It's a really REALLY good idea to start MNing at 10pm after three bottles of wine.

DOn't flounce if hurt or put out. Just start a thread called 'Look at my cute baby' only link it to one of those ghost-jumping-out clips. Or Tubgirl.

If namechanging for something embarrassing or potentially arrestable offence related, check the namechange has worked by posting something innocuous on a boring thread about handbags or cookery first...

beansprout Mon 21-Jul-08 14:58:12

Emoticons don't work in thread titles so if you try to use them you just look a bit stupid like you are new to the site.

beansprout Mon 21-Jul-08 14:59:22

Consider the fact that maybe, just maybe, some discussions have already been held, e.g. the merits of formula/breast milk, SAHM/WOHM, the McCanns etc.

Kewcumber Mon 21-Jul-08 14:59:45

Don;t whinge that you're a thread killer expecting sympathy - just think of it as having the last word.

FluffyMummy123 Mon 21-Jul-08 15:00:50

Message withdrawn

Oblomov Mon 21-Jul-08 15:05:47

No spelling corrections. Unless in Pendants conrer, coroner, corner.

AbbeyA Mon 21-Jul-08 15:07:54

Don't come on to page 10 of a thread saying that you haven't read any of it but....., it has generally been discussed and sorted out on p6 (if they had read it). Even worse is having a go at the OP on p10 when they have already apologised and admitted they were wrong on the page before!

ScottishMummy Mon 21-Jul-08 15:10:21

1No cutting & pasting someone else post
2No Huns
3 No Traipsing subjective feelings about one post across to the another.
4No SHOUTING
5avoid txt speak
6 dont expect AIBU to be cosy and empathic
7 dont be snippy correcting spelling/grammar
8sausage rolls are not fatal - despite what some MN may say
9dont get all humphy if people dont agree with you
10Switch off and switch off

my top of the pops

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now