Do You Write or Think? Mr Nietzsche's Assessment of Your Dilemma.

(382 Posts)
onebatmotherofgoditschilly Mon 07-Jan-08 21:59:03

I had forgotten this:

"The literary woman, unsatisfied, agitated, desolate in heart and entrails, listening every minute with painful curiosity to the imperative which whispers from the depths of her organism "aut liberi aut libri [either children or books]."
—Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols

Ten years ago I would have turned the page with a sigh and a sneer.

Today...?

onebatmother Fri 18-Jan-08 23:10:45

no, actually totally fine in real terms, but some slight financial embarrassment on the horizon which is making me a little tense. boom-boom

Thready Sat 19-Jan-08 14:03:31

I'll second swedes question: which is the best GH to start with?

After all, Jane Austen is in one sense strictly Mills and Boon. It's just that she does it supremely unutterable brilliantly.

onebatmother Sat 19-Jan-08 14:33:01

Oh sorry, Swedes, how rude of me. Distracted.

These Old Shades is the first one I read. You have to read them with a vivid imagination, and you have to let yourself go a bit. Well a lot.

I'll wager it is not usual fare for either of you..

But when I have fallen into the Slough of Despond, it is Miss Heyer to whom I turn, not Mr Wittgenstein.

Actually, that was true 15 years ago. Currently I turn to Rioja.

onebatmother Sat 19-Jan-08 14:38:39

Thready - absolutely! re JA. GH cannot be compared. But there is a definite cleverness, and the elements of JA which are sometimes the very best bits - the banter, the structures, the frippery - are distilled in GH and then used liberally. There is also a clear sexual subtext in GH which one has to search harder for in JA.

iyswim.

Have lovely days, both, I will be a bit irregular this w/e..

Vezzie it was a very interesting thread about this comment - "The literary woman, unsatisfied, agitated, desolate in heart and entrails, listening every minute with painful curiosity to the imperative which whispers from the depths of her organism "aut liberi aut libri [either children or books]."

- which quickly degenerated into a discussion of how pubic topiary might be themed according to the facial hair of the great philosophers.

bugger! wrong thread!

Threadworm Wed 25-Feb-09 11:49:00

Iorek! It is at least 40 days too soon for a resurrection!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now