MN WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus a follow-up question if appropriate, ie once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't be disappointed if your specific question doesn't get answered and do try not to keep posting "What about me?". 4. Do be civil/polite. See guidelines in full here.

Live webchat with Charlie Brooker on Monday 23rd November at 12pm

(423 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 19-Nov-09 10:07:17

Guardian columnist and broadcaster Charlie Brooker will be joining us at Mumsnet for a live webchat next Monday (23rd November) between 12 and 1pm. If you can't join us, post your advance questions to Charlie here.

policywonk Thu 19-Nov-09 10:10:54

Waheeeeeey! grin

policywonk Thu 19-Nov-09 10:11:43

That's not a question. Is 'why are you so utterly marvellous' a question? <ponders>

slug Thu 19-Nov-09 10:12:14

NOW your're talking!! Excellent!!

StayFrosty Thu 19-Nov-09 10:13:39

omg! soooooo excited. i heart charlie brooker.

my questions are all too dirty, but my dh wants to ask him what his favourite sound chip is from any computer/console.

badietbuddy Thu 19-Nov-09 10:14:12

Yay!! God I love him. Will have to think of a suitably witty question

mollyroger Thu 19-Nov-09 10:15:11

bums. I am working

NickNemo Thu 19-Nov-09 13:41:40

Yayyy, I love Charlie Brooker. Have to think of something to ask him now

bamboo Thu 19-Nov-09 13:48:12

Cool - dh, in particular, thinks he's great and will be shock and envy when he hears this!

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 19-Nov-09 18:49:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hairtwiddler Thu 19-Nov-09 18:51:55

Oooh, almost makes me want to put off labour until then! I'm going to ask him if he'd consider giving my friend a second chance after the silly cow turned him down when he offered to take her away somewhere!

TanteRose Fri 20-Nov-09 04:07:41

Hi Charlie

Only ever read your column in the Graun...it certainly brightens up my dull Monday mornings - love it!

What's your favourite biscuit biscuit

Oh and have you ever been to Japan? You must have, what with all the video games over here....

if/when you come over, give me a bell, yeah? grin

JuanMoreTime Fri 20-Nov-09 04:11:16

II HAVE NO IDEA Who you are but I am sure you are very nice dear.

Squee!

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 20-Nov-09 09:24:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hassled Fri 20-Nov-09 09:25:58

RachelMumsnet, if I could snog you through the laptop screen then I would. You STARS.

Hassled Fri 20-Nov-09 09:27:57

All I have to do now is think of a question.

I'm weirdly preoccupied by his insomnia. When DH has snored me awake at 3am I comfort myself with the thought that somewhere out there Charlie is also awake. Can someone feed me a question about insomnia? Preferably witty?

Hassled Fri 20-Nov-09 09:33:33

Ah yes - also, once upon a time you did a little piece about your favourite ever PC and console games, and you included in your top ten a (megadrive?) game called Road Rash. I bloody loved that game. You had to ride motorbikes along endless roads, mostly in the desert, kicking or punching your co-racers off their bikes.

So my question - which is your favourite PC or console game ever? What would your desert island game be?

LeninGrad Fri 20-Nov-09 10:09:04

Do you regret your tweet saying 'Jan Moir manages to walk the difficult tightrope between being a bitch and a cunt'?

I understood the anger, her article was appalling, but I felt a terrible conflict when I read that about language and its use against women. I was trying to think about the equivalent if a bloke had written the Jan Moir article: tosser, wanker, bastard, maybe cunt, but it's the use of bitch and cunt against a woman that didn't sit well with me.

Otherwise, I like your columns, this week's is good and stays the right side of taking the piss/reacting to stuff without going too far imo: www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/nov/16/charlie-brooker-christmas-television-adverts

Which leads me on to another: the Jimmy Carr rape joke, funny or not? And the resurgence of 'edgy' (ie just totally offensive) comedy, was it time for a resurgence or will it all end in tears? I don't know why I think you'd have an opinion on these things but you probably do so would be interesting to hear it.

midnightexpress Fri 20-Nov-09 10:21:29

Now Charlie Brooker, were you the original Soaphead? I think you were. If so, I once wanted to marry you, due in large part to your analysis of Brookside and to the immortal description of Alex Kingston as 'Dr Moll Flanders', which made me laugh a lot at the time.

If not, my apologies for the above.

Now for my question: do you see yourself as a glass half full person or a glass half empty person? You always seem rather cross, and yet I think I detect something of a soft centre (my observation is drawn mainly from the C4 ident in which you declare that the death of a dog would upset you too much to have a dog in the first place).

Hassled Fri 20-Nov-09 10:44:47

Soaphead was Jim Shelley, I think. Defected to the Mirror. Wanker. But a funny wanker.

LeninGrad Fri 20-Nov-09 10:45:36

I read that as defecated, must go and change DS2's nappy.

DorotheaPlenticlew Fri 20-Nov-09 11:07:31

MNHQ, you are gods! Will have to ensure DS has an early nap on Monday.

Hassled Fri 20-Nov-09 11:09:17

He may have defecated as well.

ShutUpandDrinkYourGin Fri 20-Nov-09 11:14:38

oh gutted i will be at work

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now