Crap Tips

(520 Posts)
TheDevilWearsPrimark Wed 11-Mar-09 15:15:56

'Things to do with...plastic cd cases. Save lots and paint them with letters for a giant scrabble board'

This handy tip was in last weeks Pick me Up magazine. Why!? and What!?

Share some please, real or made up. I need cheering up.

forkhandles Thu 21-May-09 12:19:55

what, not 'we'

TheDevilWearsPenneys Fri 22-May-09 13:00:49

Amazing!

TheDevilWearsPenneys Fri 22-May-09 13:01:46

I'm actually falling out of love with pick me up, recently the tips have been pretty sensible. Some of them I've thought 'ooh what a good idea'.

Maybe the editor read this thread? hehe

NorbertDentressangle Fri 22-May-09 13:09:25

pmsl at the ones in elfin's link.

I especially like the one about making unruly (hmm) eyebrows more manageable by shampooing them every day with baby shampoo.

You'd have the perfect excuse for avoiding social gathering you don't want to go to "Sorry I can't come out tonight I'm washing my eyebrows"

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 22-May-09 13:22:07

yay my favoruite thread.

DWP - did you send that tampon one in as a windup test to see if it got published?

TheDevilWearsPenneys Fri 22-May-09 13:28:15

Ha ha

I have sent two in but neither have been published (sob). One serious, one a blatant wind up.

I included photos and everything the fuckers.

TheDevilWearsPenneys Fri 22-May-09 13:29:50

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Only just found this thread but have to add my current favourite from Pick Me Up

'If you or a member of your family has a pair of smelly trainers, simply put some cat litter in a sock and leave in the trainers overnight. By the next morning, the trainers will be completely deodorised and smelling as good as new!' hmm

Or alternatively your trainers will be full of cat shit grin

TheDevilWearsPrimark Tue 17-Nov-09 12:21:28

reviving this as it's so funny!
More!

TheDevilWearsPrimark Thu 29-Apr-10 15:42:29
mazzi2fly Fri 01-Oct-10 10:11:25

LOL!
How to prevent sore knees when gardening
Thursday 2nd September 2010

I use an old padded bra as a portable cushioned kneepad when I'm gardening. No more
painful knees! Jeanette Baker, Littlehampton

Pic show the lady wearing the said bra on her knees!!
I can't do links yet but it's on Page 8 of Pick me Up on TDWP's link.

mumtoabeautifulbabyboy Sun 17-Oct-10 20:24:44

Just found this thread.
Uni mates and I used to read Chat magazine just to see the ridiculous money saving ideas.
The following two stand out in my mind and are often lauged about when we have reunions (forgive me if they have already been mentioned - I haven't read the whol thread).

- If you want to liven up some boring black shoes then attach a clip on earring to each shoe - Instant glamour!!!

-To decorate your house at Halloween, draw faces on tampons and hang around the room to achieve a room full of ghosts!!!

Love it!

iLikeDots Sat 23-Oct-10 09:59:55

I LOVE these top (crap) tips that come in mags such as PickMeUp, Chat TakeA Break) !!!

There so many gems which have been sent in and published over the years as it would take a life time to list them all. I haven't had time to carefully read this thread from beginning to end so sorry in advance if I repeat any people have already posted about, but hear are just a few of many that I have almost chocked laughing at:

" I've heard that skipping keep you fit. With no garden, I use my skipping rope indoors. I was Afraid that I would break my china whilst using the rope,.Then I had a brian brain wave! I chopped the rope off and now have just the 2 handles, one pre hand. Now when I 'skip' myself to fitness, and ensure nothing gets broken!"

WHY? WTF? The point? I seriously fear for our future and question why some people are born when I come across crap like this...

Not sure what the Dept of Health would make of this crap tip :

"If you are hosting a dinner party try this for an alternative for after dinner mints. Simply freeze a tube of toothpaste, cut open and slice into wafer thin bites to produce your own treats. Impress your guests!'

Erm...... more likey your guests will cut off all contact with you and laugh behind your back at the dinner parties you are never invited to

" Create a "Lady Ga Ga" look : Buy some safety goggles from your local hardware store then glue on some cheap lace, completely covering the goggles. A cool look that will make your mates jeaulous!"

It's more likely to make your mates realise you need to be sectioned......

Another crapola 'Top Tip" from ThatsLife magazine (there are some real gems!!):

'Wet Lettace? No salad spinner? Just put the lettace into a clean pillow case then pop it in the washing machine on a spin cycle. Crisp dry lettace"

WTF? Words Fail me.

"Lost your sink/bath plug? A golf ball makes a ideal emergancy alternative alternative"

I am losing the will to live......

These are all real tips that readers have seriously sent in to the magazines, the majority also come with 'hard evidence' in the form of blurry photos and the muppets persons name and address. I for one am very very scared for the human race............. hmm grin

theevildead2 Fri 12-Nov-10 18:59:52
giraffeshatewinter Tue 28-Dec-10 21:35:50

Resurrecting this thread as ilikedots post has made me WEEP with laughter.

Ninive Thu 30-Dec-10 17:15:12

Dental floss to the rescue
Jeanne Clarke, 60, Stourbridge, West Midlands
Friday 4th May 2007

No matter how many times I sewed on the top button of my white shirt, it kept coming loose. But then I tried using dental floss instead of cotton and it worked a treat. Plus it gives my shirt a certain minty freshness.

I'm sure it does, Jeanne, I'm sure it does.

valleyqueen Fri 31-Dec-10 17:04:30

Needed to come and add this one that was in the chat Xmas special.

Using false teeth to crimp the edge of their mince pie pastry. They added that they washed them throughly before and after.

I will always check my pies from now on. There was a picture and the crimping so looked like teeth.

MilkNoSugarPlease Sun 16-Jan-11 14:40:46

I LOVE this one!

I read the magazine it was in blush last week and was rather hmm shock

DaisySteiner Sun 16-Jan-11 14:48:29

I'd forgotten how much I loved this thread - kept me going on a few quiet night shifts last year grin

Being the person who reads the letters that are sent in with these tips must be one of the top jobs in the country envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now