Extended Mumsnetting

(172 Posts)
BEAUTlFUL Thu 22-May-08 01:48:57

It is the accepted norm for most Mothers to stop Mumsnetting at around the same time, 6-7pm. Many others like to carry on until slightly later, 10 or 11pm.

But, there is a group of Extended Mumsnetters who don't conform to society's normal guidelines for internet usage and go far beyond the recommended 12am shut-off, Mumsnetting up to the time of 3, 4, even 8am.

Whilst most mothers would balk at such extended internet use, claiming their computer was primarily designed for their husband, these Extended Mumsnetters say it carries benefits.

"After 1am, you get the drunks coming back from the pub," says one EM, who admits she has Mumsnetted well past dawn. "They type a bit dodgily, but often you can get them to admit embarrassing stuff without name-changing."

Then there are the Tandem Mumsnetters, who have two screens open simultaneously so they can refresh threads faster.

The World Health Organisation recommends every mother Mumsnets if at all possible, and supports the local Internet Cafes that help new Mumsnetters overcome problems logging on. But there are some groups of people who believe Extended Mumsnetters are weird. "I tried to Mumsnet when I had a baby, but it was so tricky at first," says one vehement opposer. "In the end I gave up and read the Daily Mail. My kids are thriving."

Message withdrawn

vlc Thu 22-May-08 01:55:19

grin

am off to bed now. i applaud your extended mumsnetting.

BEAUTlFUL Thu 22-May-08 01:56:03

Daily Mail readers who think they're giving their kids the best start don't realise that Mumsnet is a living medium. Its threads are constantly changing.

vlc Thu 22-May-08 01:59:42

But before I do, let me leave you with this thought...

not every woman has the ability to mumsnet as long as you do. Some have not enough electricity, or horrendous connection problems. Others were pressurised into Daily Mail readership instead by well meaning relatives.

Please be sure not to make them feel guilty with your extended MN smuggery.

nighty night.

Message withdrawn

BEAUTlFUL Thu 22-May-08 02:05:34

I recommend co-surfing. Mumsnetters who co-surf with their laptop are far more responsive to new posts. It's fine as long as you haven't been taking any substances that might affect your ability to spell.

eidsvold Thu 22-May-08 02:07:57

what about those who are on the other side of the world who seemingly are posting about school runs and the usual daytime activities in the wee hours of the morning.

BEAUTlFUL Thu 22-May-08 02:15:32

Contrary to popular opinion, you can still Mumsnet when you return to work, if you have an understanding employer who accepts that every lunchtime you'll need to hunch over your laptop for a few minutes. Of course, you can always (Daily) Express, though it's often seen as more trouble than it's worth.

Message withdrawn

nooka Thu 22-May-08 02:19:32

Not enough late night Mumsnetters IMO! Now I'm across the pond I want to Mumsnet at the same time as I did at home but everyone is asleep shock

Message withdrawn

<< rolls eyes >>> ....

Nah, grin PMSL! grin

RubyRioja Thu 22-May-08 07:45:49

I am all in favour of discreet mumsnetting, but some women positively flaunt it. In public places like libraries and everything. I think this can make women who are unable or who exercise their right not to MN feel guilty.

I think there are clothes which make MN more private.

WilfSell Thu 22-May-08 07:51:32

The thing is though, it's really difficult to talk about the benefits of MNing compared to other MN substitutes (which have proven risks) because everyone gets very upset and flames you.

MrsBadger Thu 22-May-08 08:42:25

Personally I've never found a problem with MNing at work - my employers have been very understanding in not restricting my internet access and appreciate that it's important for my wellbeing while the children are small.

I understand that an MNing routine can help some people but I'm generally a fan of MNing on demand.

FrannyandZooey Thu 22-May-08 08:45:30

hahahahahahahahahahaha
v good indeed

grin

[desperately trying to think of a witty comment to add but you lot are all streets ahead of me...]

WilfSell Thu 22-May-08 08:47:36

I have heard of a woman who was thrown out of Starbucks for MNing though. I think we should start a campaign. I mean, surely that's exactly what cafes are for?! If other people don't like it, they should stop looking over her shoulder: it's not as if they can actually see anything interesting FGS.

Anna8888 Thu 22-May-08 08:50:01

Extended MNing is definitely a minority activity here in France where women are expected to return to work full-time shortly after giving birth.

Personally, I only MN in the privacy of my own home and not when anyone other than my daughter is around.

MrsBadger Thu 22-May-08 08:51:26

Actually the worst thing is trying not to be evangelical about it.

I mean, you meet someone who you get on with and whose views seem to align with your own, and you think 'surely she must MN', but then one day you see the Daily Mail sticking out of her nappy bag and you think 'Oh no!'
But you can't say anything in case she tried MN and hated it, or tried MN but used txtspk, got flamed and is still feeling bad about flouncing.

fryalot Thu 22-May-08 08:59:11

grin

Tatterdemalion Thu 22-May-08 09:06:30

lol very good grin

BiancaCastafiore Thu 22-May-08 09:10:27

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now