What's the kindest thing a stranger has done for you?

(382 Posts)
GimmeDaBoobehz Mon 11-Nov-13 20:55:41

Equally, what is the kindest thing you have done for a stranger?

Grennie Mon 11-Nov-13 23:07:43

I went to ASDA to buy some food. When I got to the till I didn't have enough money so said I would put some stuff back. The cashier said not to worry and that the money would be covered.

MadAsFish Mon 11-Nov-13 23:09:30

These stories are lovely.
Oh Laly. I remember you talking about this on another thread a few months ago, and the bear just breaks my heart even more.
I hug your little girl self (sorry, probably too saccharine for Mumsnet, but I don't especially care).
I try to help people up and down stairs in the Metro when I can.
Despite the reputation of Parisians, someone here once walked back down the stairs they'd just walked up, helped me carry up the pram, then left. Not an uncommon situation here, as far as I've seen.

Optimist1 Mon 11-Nov-13 23:19:20

Yes to the pram assistance and passing on parking tickets (although the local town centre car park has introduced the machines where you have to type in 3 letters from your numberplate, so that you can't do this - grr!).

The act of kindness I remember most clearly was the lovely doctor, young enough to be my daughter, who was looking after my Dad when he was very near the end of his life. She explained his condition clearly and kindly, so we knew what was to come. A few hours later, shortly after he died, I was sitting alone in the hospital corridor as the same doctor was hurrying along. When she saw me she stopped to give me a real hug, full of sympathy. This touched me beyond words - my eyes are leaking as I type this!

Weegiemum Mon 11-Nov-13 23:24:33

I'm not sure what the kindest thing I've done is, I wouldn't like to venture that.

But about 4 years ago I was struggling with both depression and pain from a kidney condition. I was hideously sick after walking to our local Morrisons, in the car park. An old lady stopped, gave me tissues, a bottle of water and - Ill never forget this - knelt down and wiped the vomit off my shoes.

Then she insisted on running me home (only 2 mins in the car).

I looked for her every time I went out, but I never saw her again, and then I moved across town and haven't been back.

Old lady at Crossmyloof Morrisons - Thankyou!!

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Mon 11-Nov-13 23:26:47

nicest and most random thing I ever saw. me and dh were on train. Little girl sat with mum next to us. Paul blinking Daniels walks through coach from buffet. 2 minutes later he returned with a hoooge doll, gives it to girl and walks off. where did he get the doll from?
(yeah I know)

Weegiemum Mon 11-Nov-13 23:28:43

Also, when it was a very little girl (about 4) I fell down the stairs in our local Woolies. A lady at the bottom picked me up as my mum struggled down with my little sister. That lady had something I'd never seen before - a wetwipe !! And she used it to wipe copious blood from my knees and hands!

Letitsnow9 Mon 11-Nov-13 23:30:24

Last year my nan died, she had left instructions of what she wanted for her funeral including a song we couldn't find anywhere. A random person on a website read my post and managed to download it from somewhere and sent it to us. I don't even know their name but it meant we could fulfill my Nan's last wishes.
I love doing RAOK too

PainInTheBum Mon 11-Nov-13 23:31:27

One that sticks out in my mind was when I was sat on a park bench crying and an old lady came and sat with me, she held my hand and told me that no matter how dark things were it would get better with time, it was so comforting and I'll never forget her, I went home determined that I wouldn't let the bastards get me down.

The kindest thing I have done is when I found a set of keys on the beach, the owner wasn't near by and I walked round all the car parks pressing the button on the fob till I found the car. I waited over an hour for the owner. She was so relieved, she was recently bereaved and without her keys she would have been stuck as she was a long way from home and had come to clear her head. She said I restored her faith in human kindness smile and I don't begrudge a minute of my wasted morning!

The strangest was when I found a wallet with a driving licence, some cards and a wodge of cash. The address was nearby and I took it round, the owner was very grateful and offered me money as a reward, I refused but accepted the tea and we had a nice chat. I was surprised to find the anti social behaviour I was suffering stopped immediately. But that's the way things roll when the local crime lord decides you're a diamond.

FrillyMilly Mon 11-Nov-13 23:32:08

These are ones that stick with me. A couple of years ago we were really skint. I did a shop with the calculator on my phone and near the till a woman handed me a £5 off voucher she had cut out the newspaper. I could have cried. £5 made a huge difference to us but that woman will never know how much that helped us out.

Another one was when DD was tiny and moaning to go on the toy rides at the supermarket. I had no change at all when an old man came up to me and gave me a £1 for her to go on. He said he hoped I didn't mind but that she reminded him of his daughter when she was a little girl.

looseleaf Mon 11-Nov-13 23:41:18

Lalyraw that is so sad and I'm so sorry.

I had a nice thing happen today as was in homebase and someone noticed it started raining and covered DS' bike seat with a plastic bag so he didn't get wet sitting down(he's 2)

My 'kindest' thing was grabbing a man who was stabbing his wife (literally, with a long nasty thin knife) in a train station in India. I was 18 and he wasn't that big and so shocked he stopped but the awful thing was that the police didn't really care and I still wonder what happened as maybe she had to stay with him

iFad Mon 11-Nov-13 23:44:45

I think my favourite acts of kindness are from my 2 sons.

Son1 (now 8) is always sticking up for other people when they are picked on and he is always comforting people who are crying. My other son is the same. When he was 3, I was in his Kindy class and one of the other boys was being dropped off and was hysterical. This little boy didn't speak English very well. My DS stood up, went over to him and gave him a massive hug and a kiss and said "It's OK, come play with me" and the little boy stopped crying. I pride myself on my 2 gorgeous, compassionate, little boys.

Me, I like to think I can do random acts of kindness. I don't like to see people bullied and I will step in if I see someone picking on someone else or being verbally abusive. I did once witness a car crash where the car had turned over. The woman was OK and had got out of the car, but was disorientated and had a head injury. I sat on the floor with her and held her and gave her my bottle of water whist the others called an ambulance etc. That was quite a scary thing to witness. Also where I live there is no safety net for people if they are unemployed or have difficulties. There are always expat women sending round notes asking if we can help a woman they have met at some charity they work at. The most recent one was a woman that was just about tot give birth. She wasn't working, nor was her DH as he had kidney disease. The government were not giving her any money and she had nothing for the baby and she had not received any food vouchers. A lot of my friends drummed up loads of lovingly used baby clothes, toys etc. I thought XXXX it, ignored my weekly budget and went and got her a hundred quids worth of supermarket vouchers and 5 packets of new nappies and wet wipes. My husband did a cats bum face, but got over it.

YouAreMyRain Mon 11-Nov-13 23:50:03

Paid for my shopping in tesco when I was a student and my card was refused. blush
They were behind me in the queue

YouAreMyRain Mon 11-Nov-13 23:53:35

I intervened in a road rage attack where a man was being very aggressive and threatening to a woman with terrified children in the car.

I somehow got him to get back in his car and drive off.

Scarletohello Mon 11-Nov-13 23:54:43

Wow this thread has made me cry!

When I was in India there was so much poverty and so many beggars hassling me for money it was difficult to know what to do at times. However one time I saw an old lady, tiny and almost bent double with the bag of rubbish she was carrying ( it was obviously her job to pick up rubbish). She didn't ask me for money but I felt so sad at her situation I gave her 500 rupees ( about £6.50). Not a lot by UK standards but probably a lot to her. She made the namaste sign and went on her way. Just a drop in the oceon but it made me feel better...

BOF Mon 11-Nov-13 23:59:12

A kindness I remember was when I was walking home from shopping with my autistic daughter. It was only about a mile, but she decided she'd had enough, and dropped to the ground, passive-resistance style. She was far too big for me to carry.

I was trying to call a taxi, when a car pulled up and asked if we needed help. It must have looked like a medical emergency. I quickly explained it wasn't, but the two guys insisted on driving us home (opposite direction), and put the roof down to amuse her grin.

They were real angels of the road.

Something I recall that I did was to get a young lad back to his halls of residence. We were both on a train that somehow got ballsed up and abandoned us at Crewe, with no connecting bus or train service. My DP drove an hour from Liverpool to collect me while I drank and played pool with the poor guy and drove him to his digs. I was never going to leave him there, as I'd hate to think of my eldest daughter being stranded like that.

YouAreMyRain Tue 12-Nov-13 00:00:48

LalyRawr that's so lovely (and made me cry) thanksthanks

Cried my way through this thread. Such lovely stories. LalyRawr I remember your story of your stepbrother from another thread and it made me cry there too. So glad you got your brothers you back.

Chippingnortonset123 Tue 12-Nov-13 00:15:58

I am really competitive about random acts of kindness and I get a buzz out of all of then. If I ever recorded them then they wouldn't count. As a recipient, being helped at charing cross with 2 children and one baby.

sparklysilversequins Tue 12-Nov-13 00:27:49

A doctor I think. I know they're supposed to be but she really was. I was in the middle of a nervous breakdown brought on by years of abuse at the hands of my Mum then ex H. I went to see my GP and saw her and just went to pieces. I said I was scared to talk to anyone because I had a history of depression and I was worried about SS. She held my hand and promised that there was no danger of that. I left her office feeling normal for the first time in months. I wasn't well for a long time after that but I think I started to get better after I saw her.

From me, i saw a man get knocked over on a pedestrian crossing, well heard it first sad. I ran over all the while terrified at what i might find and was first on the scene. He was conscious but obviously couldn't move, some people ran out of a building nearby and called 999 so I sat down on the road and held his hand and talked to him, telling him he was going to be fine and looking at his face so he knew someone was with him. He didn't speak at all, just looked at me. I stayed till the paramedics arrived and he went in the ambulance. I don't know if it was kind because anyone would have done it I think.

sparklysilversequins Tue 12-Nov-13 00:30:29

Oh and the man who returned my IPhone 4. They were brand new and just out. I dropped it on a London street. He rang the last number dialled, which was ex H's number who arranged to go and pick it up. Wouldn't accept a reward and had to be begged to accept half a shandy (they met up in a pub).

Tristanandisolde Tue 12-Nov-13 07:35:47

What a lovely lovely thread. I must admit reading the posts made me well up. I used to do lots of acts of random kindness until a few years ago when a 'friend' let me down in a bad way. Since then I have become much more careful and more aware of people taking advantage of kindness. i guess i've become a bit cynical sad.

I can't think of any good examples right now but this thread has inspired me to go out and be a kind stranger. However without being a pushover.

redexpat Tue 12-Nov-13 08:02:16

Random man took me across LA from the greyhound bus station to the airport. And paid the $2 fare. Thank you kind sir.

Not me, but some strangers were so kind to my nan and I'm so grateful. Last year she was in town on her own on a really windy day. A gust of wind took her off her feet and she was clinging to a road barrier to try and stay up but she fell. Loads of people walked past her, but a group of teenage boys (who she described as having 'all kinds of funny holes in their ears') stopped to help her. They walked her to the bus stop and tried to pay her bus fare (obviously she has a bus pass).

I'm so grateful to those boys and so was my nan. Their mums must be so proud of them.

ercoldesk Tue 12-Nov-13 09:31:16

I'm sure I've done nice things, but can't think of a specific just now.

The kindest thing that someone else has done for me that always comes first to mind is in the days after DM was diagnosed with terminal illness, with weeks to live, myself and DB found ourselves in a Maggie's Centre. I know it is what the staff are paid for, but they gave us home made cakes, and coffee, and sat with us till we got allowances and benefits, and a blue badge sorted out for DB, to allow him to live with, and care for DM till she died. It was the first nice thing to happen to us for a long while, and it gave us the space and strength to keep going. I will always be grateful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now