what the most hilarious and groundless parental complaint you've ever fielded?

(316 Posts)
HanneHolm Wed 06-Feb-13 18:02:01

I have heard of one parent complaining a member of staff wasn't singing in a parents assembly.

Snatchoo Mon 15-Dec-14 16:40:38

Tahunny happened to us too.

Really don't get why when your kid comes home in someone else's jumper (obviously just picked up by mistake as kids are only five) you would then write your kids name in it? But not do anything about the ironed in label?

This is what happened with DTS jumper. Really pissed off as I thought the mum was a friend!

MillionToOneChances Sun 14-Dec-14 23:03:49

tahunny that's happened to me twice.

First time the coat came back via lost property after 3 (THREE) years when my back-up namelabel the label-snipping thief missed was given more credence than the name of another child scrawled elsewhere (benefits of being known around school), second time again thanks to a hidden second name-label and the fact that the label-snipping thief's name washed out of their far more visible iron-in label. The cheek!!

For high-value items I now label inside the collar in inch high letters in permanent marker. And multiple labels since they've served me so well.

Wasn't making a complaint but did happen to mention to DS's reception TA that was a bit disappointed as DS's reading book had been changed so I hadn't got to hear the end of the story - I remember it well (DS is nearly 12 now!) It was a Biff Chip and Kipper story about a knitted scarf. I then went back to her the following day and said how ridiculous I must have sounded, she did hunt out the scarf book for me! I said I appreciated how busy they were and how much the teaching staff did and could I be of any help. I then spent many happy years of volunteering in the school.fsmile

OhForFudgeCake Thu 04-Dec-14 16:25:08

I used to work in a holiday club and had a complaint from a father that his son 'hadn't been given enough supervision' in an activity and, as a result, hadn't produced a result that was equal to his actual ability level. The activity was icing biscuits, the child was 5.

"is the (free) Orange squash organic?"

A parent at my daughters school was livid in the playground because the school hadn't agreed to her request that her daughter not do P.E - because the P.E kit had short sleeves and her daughter (6) needed to wear long sleeves as she 'has' to rub her sleeve on her ear as a 'comfort mechanism' - no SEN by the way.

"How hard can it be to restyle my daughter's hair when it becomes out of place?" - yeah I'm sure her teacher has nothing better to be doing......

tahunny Thu 04-Dec-14 01:27:01

I was nearly that parent. Not against the teacher, but against another parent.
Dd had a coat that was bought two sizes too big purposely. It was bought in the sale before she even started school and was a winter coat. She's always been tall hence the extra size. Name and class written inside clearly. 1st year no problem. Come second year the winter coat still fits. Come one thursday in january, child comes home nothing is noticed. Getting ready for school in the morning I notice the coat shes wearing is not hers. Same coat, slightly different, aged 4.a bit dirty and faded. Frayed on the sleeves where some kid been chewing it. Sleeves are at the elbows looks like it was sprayed on. Take her to school wearing it, inform teacher. She knows another smaller kid in the class with same coat and will swap back. Home time, coat not swapped as child didnt come in with other coat conveniently. Monday, parent informed to return coat. Home time, dd comes out wearing similar coat again, not hers. Upon inspection, its aged 9. Dd is 5. Coat is covered in bird shit, cat hairs and fluff is matted like a stray dog. I was livid. Not at teacher, but at the sheer fuckin cheek Of manky parent stealing a coat. Turns out parent has two dd. One in reception and one in juniors. After youngest come home in well looked after coat she'd decided to keep it. When challenged she'd sent the older daughters coat to fob us off. Teacher said she'd keep eye out incase it made an appearance but after a week still no sign. After the state of the coats given to us I wouldnt have wanted it back tbh.
Anyone else have anything like that?

MonstrousRatbag Thu 20-Nov-14 14:56:47

I am trying very hard not to be 'that parent' at the moment during the 'Saga of the School Sweatshirt'. If I crack I'll be sure to come back here and let you all know.

FruitBalls Thu 20-Nov-14 14:47:27

^ God, sorry, not very humourous at all!

FruitBalls Thu 20-Nov-14 14:42:43

Name changed.

In the mid-90s, a girl's father wrote a letter to the head excusing his daughter from RE because he didn't want her learning about forrin religions. I overheard him in the playground say to other parents that he didn't want her learning about 'but but ding ding' religions.

Same father also asked the head to make sure his daughter didn't sit next to any of the black boys in the school in class or assembly and not play with them at play time in case she got raped.

This man was in his mid-30s at the time sad

INickedAName Thu 20-Nov-14 14:16:55

Some of mine from Daycare Nursery.

One parent wanted us to remove his 6 week old dd from any crying children as it distresses her and also remove her from room when other parents came to collect as they could be "sex offenders" Explained about ratios and that one member of staff would not be able to take his dd out of room as it would leave one member with five babies. Suggested a Nanny may suit his requirements.

We had a child biting another on several occasions, Mum and Dad wanted us to bite the child back as punishment and looked at me in disbelief when I said we can't do that.

One Dad threatened me with legal action after being over an hour late to pick his child up, it was Xmas eve, we closed at 6pm (his child should have been picked up at 5pm so technically he was already hour late) and at 6.10pm he was "on his way" Nursery owner came at 6.30pm to remove cash and was shocked to see child still there, even more shocked that he was "on his way" as they had just drive past Dad having smoke outside pub ten minutes away. He didn't take too kindly to the phone call telling him if someone suitable is not here to collect his child before 7pm the relevant authorities would be informed and the extra hours childcare will be added onto his fees. He said if I like working with children I should have been happy, and is going to take "legal action". I laughed to myself at the thought of him justifying to a court his right to not collect his child from daycare so he can go on the works Xmas night out.

INickedAName Thu 20-Nov-14 13:49:44

I've been that parent, kind of,,, in my defence I was in the right though.

One winter, Dd then in y3 came home with someone else's shoes on, no biggie on it's own except they were four sizes two small (.same style though) and her toes and heels had blistered.

Returned them to the school the next morning, could see teacher give her TA an eye roll, I explained to teacher I've put dd in her trainers as she had someone else's shoes on when she came home, and they'd ere too small an unsuitable, teacher told me she had already checked the class feet the day before as dd got upset about her feet hurting, and these were defiantly my dds shoes, I told her how dd said it had happened at lunch time, when the whole lower years had watched cbeebies in the hall as it was to cold outside and everyone had to remove shoes so as not to muddy the newly laid carpet, I said that dds shoes were clearly labelled with her name and year and were four sizes bigger than this pair, and that I think a much smaller/younger child must have picked my dds up by mistake, she said that the children did not have indoor play the day before and certainly wouldn't be watching cbeebies, so dds story is fully false and handed the small pair back to me. I refused to take them and left them on her desk and left the building, dd who was very upset at being called a liar and I could see her holding back tears at her seat.

Left school calm on the outside but pretty angry on the inside, I'm sorry to say but I rang the school once I'd calmed down and explained what had happened, offered to bring the receipt and packaging for dds shoes up at collection. They promised look into it. I got a phone call three minutes later saying dd shoes had been found on the feet of a reception child, their teacher had noticed the child walking floppy and checked their shoes noticing my dds name inside them. They had in fact spent the lunchtime play watching cbeebies in the hall, dds teacher wasn't aware as she had sent them all outside before going on her break, the weather turned bad and the lunch assistants brought the children in.

To be fair to the teacher she came over to me at the end of the day, extremely apologetic to me and said she'd also apologised to dd for saying she lied and had done some nice activities with her that day as she was upset for being told she was lying, and that she would fully understand if I wanted to take things further. The apology was more than enough. I work in childcare myself and understand how parents can be sometimes, and she is a fantastic teacher in a fantastic school. I'd have been "that mother" in their eyes for a little while though, and can see how unreasonable I was suggesting they check the whole lower schools feet for my dds shoes.

CatBreath Thu 20-Nov-14 10:29:19

I love this thread. I'm a police officer and I could not do your job flowers. I promise never to be an annoying parent!

The public are indeed a source of much amusement. If I may post an anecdote despite being a non teacher; being public-facing role we get similar gems.

Common remark is when using the loo/drinking a drink/eating a surreptitious choc bar-"Officer, are you sure you are allowed to use the toilet/drink/eat on duty"

No, I piss in my bloody pants you fool.

Clawdy Mon 17-Nov-14 22:51:08

Part of the Year 4 class assembly was about their history project, and the children were acting a little story, dressed as Ancient Britons, the girls wearing long nighties for dresses and the boys in improvised furry outfits. Sitting next to me was one of the really annoyingly critical mums,who hissed loudly to me "This is terrible! that child's dress is pale blue! The Ancient Britons used woad and leaves to dye their clothes, they would never have worn that colour!!"

ladygracie Sat 15-Nov-14 13:27:30

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread. We have a huge amount of these parents at my school but also lots & lots of highly reasonable ones too thankfully.

Lottiedoubtie Sat 15-Nov-14 12:13:59

This thread is brilliantly cathartic smile

fuzzpig Sat 15-Nov-14 08:36:10

I have spent such a fun morning reading this thread that I'm risking being late getting ready for work grin

WilburIsSomePig Sat 15-Nov-14 05:40:43

I'm a TA (only for the last two months) and I'm gobsmacked at the behaviour of some parents. In such a short time I've seen the most ridiculous things. One teacher told me about the time a few years back that a parent made a complaint to the school that little Jimmy had caught a cold and he must have picked it up at school.

Goldmandra Thu 06-Nov-14 12:54:48

I once heard a parent complaining to the swimming teacher that her DD was getting upset in the water because she was bored by doing the same routine of activities every week and she needed some variety to keep her engaged.

The class was a mother and baby group and the DD was a 5 month old baby. The swimming teacher was very polite about her refusal although a little nonplussed.

Jennco Thu 06-Nov-14 11:17:22

note to self
preview before post, repeated myself a little there!

Jennco Thu 06-Nov-14 11:16:23

Omg I think I am one of "those" parents! Whilst I respect teachers, I have told my (was in y3) that he didnt do anything he didnt want to, in regards to swimming. He was petrified of going into school on swimming day, crying, begging etc. I told the teacher he was having issues, but she said he was fine. Sounded flippant, so I told him he didnt ave to do anything he didnt want to in regards to swimming. cue the teacher saying "well actually he does have to do it" apparently he was fine and dispite being petrified at home, he was okayish at the pool.

Same teacher, same child, He took a melon into school and I had a ditsy panic about him using a proper knife, (cheap, plastic Ikea ones anyone?) Think my husband and his teacher laughed at me for that one!

Finally last week I refused same son, now y4 to do his homework as it was about ww1. I am clearly lazy.

None of these have been complaints to the head though, clearly I need to buck up and get a grip of myself... This is clearly a case of (PLB) Precious Last Born though, as the other 3 have managed school perfectly.

excellent thread, good to see the other side, keep up the excellent work!

Benedictinemonk Thu 25-Sep-14 08:33:47

Ooops, that's what you get for deciding to change the fictional name half way through and not previewing the message smile

Benedictinemonk Thu 25-Sep-14 08:24:38

Oh how have I only just found these! I'm a (early) retired teacher. For the last 10 years of my career I trained teachers - I was Course Leader for a PGCE program. I think one of my ex-students must have had parents like these - she was a 24 year old graduate.

The Post Graduate Certificate in Education course began with 3 weeks full time classes in the university. Students then began 'school placements'; initially spending 3 days a week (M-W) in school and 2 (Th-F) back at the university for a few weeks, before going full time in schools and starting 'teaching practice'. All this structure was explained to the students at interview, and again at the beginning of the course.

Initial 3 weeks went well, then into the 3/2 day phase. On the second Tuesday I got a 'phone call from a placement school. "Where is 'Ann'?" "She should be with you on school placement." "We haven't seen her since the first Monday morning, she came in for half a day and then said she had to go home and 'you knew about it'." 'Ann' had attended university on the Thursday and Friday, and given me no indication she had not been in school on the Tues/Weds.

I 'phoned her, no reply, I e-mailed her; she eventually 'phoned me. "How dare the school tell you I wasn't there, isn't that private, like under the data protection laws or something? Anyway, I didn't like the school so I've decided I'm just doing the university part of the course." "Erm, 'Clare', this is a teacher training course, in order to qualify you do have to complete your teaching practice in school and prove that you're competent." "Well that's just silly, I've always wanted to be a teacher and I know I'll be good at it."

Never saw her again.

spongebob5 Sat 13-Sep-14 19:23:15

I'm not a teacher , I'm a MH nurse. When I worked on a ward a few years ago, we had a young person admitted who appeared to have had a very equal relationship was spoilt rotten by their parents.

One morning staff discovered that the young person had trashed their bedroom. Had written all over the magnolia walls in biro & flung ribena ( or some other red liquid) over the walls & carpet. Mattress had been thrown off the bed & furniture overturned.

When Mum came in to visit, she demanded that her delightful child be given a different bedroom as theirs was in a terrible state!

Her request was deniedgrin

mumof2kiddos Mon 04-Aug-14 16:27:08

I am (actually it should be WAS) one of THOSE parents blush

When we moved to UK, my DD was just about 5, and eligible for reception yr. However she was taught the alphabets, numbers reading and writing in her previous school and that made me quite adament with the UK school to put her in yr1 and skip reception as she already knows whatever is there to know apparentlyblush. Request was obviously turned down!

Now although she currently goes to a reputed grammar school and above average in many subjects, by no means she was spectacular at that age!! Infact when I think back, I realise she was infact not even very average, let alone a super-performer at that time. Wonder what the primary school head-teacher thought about me!! Maybe another 'nutty' parent!

TrendStopper Mon 04-Aug-14 09:53:23

I could come across as one of these parents because I told my dds teacher that my dd will only be doing the main bits of homework ie spelling and maths because the only thing that comes from my yr6 dd having to make random houses, swords, boats out of junk at home is me & her arguing. Homework other than the basics is pointless in my opinion.

Groovee Sun 03-Aug-14 22:06:12

Parent got granny to hand in party invites when Nursery opened. All were popped in the pockets each child had. At lunchtime mum phoned to ask why no one had replied yet!

She phoned every day to ask why no one was responding. 90% of the children are in wrap around care so we don't see every parent on a daily basis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now