to think this couple are bonkers

(722 Posts)

So we have got quite friendly with this couple through school. They are both professionals lawyer/banker and seem to have shedloads of money and live in a beautiful house. But I have always thought they are a bit odd - a few strange random comments and slightly bonkers opinions on things, but I don't mind strange and DD gets on well with their DD.

They invited us round to supper at their big posh house the other night and DH and I made a real effort to 'scrub up'. Paid for babysitter, dolled ourselves up and spent more on wine than we ever would at home.

We get there - all fine and lovely. Glass of wine and chit chat - slightly odd topics (sex life of Nomads in Papa New Guinea and a less interesting 15 minutes on Chinese banking but still...), then we sit down at quite a formal dinner table and hostess serves starter of.... tinned soup. We know it's tinned because it's Heniz tomato soup and there are 3 empty cans in bin... That's ok, we like soup and chat away. Hostess starts laughing uncontrollably at something. Host doesn't think this is odd but sits back and wait for her to stop. We smile and ask what's so funny but she just carries on laughing. Then she stops and carries on talking as though nothing had happened. She then makes a bit to-do and hoo-ha about serving up main course of.... macaroni cheese. Not even baked in the oven, just macaroni stirred into a cheese sauce - like I make for DCs. And that's it.

DH and I eat it and try not to catch each others eyes. Nothing is said about the choice of main course other than 'I hope you like macaroni cheese' so I start to wonder if my expectations were too high? And then we get pudding which is a scoop of Neapolitan ice cream out of the tub.

As we leave, host pinches my bottom in full view of everyone and says 'that was fun' and hostess laughs her head off and says 'pinch punch first day of the month' - even though it isn't. And that's it.

DH says they are a bit quirky and to stop going on about it but I think they are mentalists. I'm right aren't I?

UnitedZingDom Thu 15-Aug-13 19:14:13

cake anyone?

grin

bear

shiningcadence Sat 03-Aug-13 22:08:14

bear

UnexpectedStepmum Mon 22-Jul-13 07:15:15

bear

gaggiagirl Thu 27-Jun-13 12:34:16

bear

amazingmumof6 Tue 21-May-13 09:18:27

bear

pomwidge anyone?grin

peachypips Mon 20-May-13 10:16:17

No I am! Finally filled a gap in my Mumsnet knowledge bear

Skinnyeye Wed 20-Feb-13 20:26:13

I'm always the last to catch on bear

Aftereightsarenolongermine Mon 11-Feb-13 17:57:48

bear

sweetestB Sat 12-Jan-13 17:07:51

[pombear]

gimmecakeandcandy Tue 04-Dec-12 22:57:51

I would love an update on this wonderful classic?!

searching4serenity Tue 06-Nov-12 08:08:12

Any updates? Pleeeeease?

RuleBritannia Mon 22-Oct-12 12:53:24

Another thread brought me to this one. I had people coming for lunch (cooked meal) and I'd made some soup. It was absolutely disgusting and I put it out for the birds, slugs, whatever. My DH went round to Asda just in time to buy four tins of Heinz Cream of Tomato Soup. It went down very well and the guests thought I'd made it but I couldn't tell lies.

Perhaps this happened with the OP's meal at her 'friend's'.

modifiedmum Sat 22-Sep-12 17:25:10

Love this thread! My status is now "Pom bear anyone?" really wish the OP would come back and update us on Mr and Mrs Bonkers!

airedailleurs Tue 18-Sep-12 19:31:53

this thread is priceless! I was reading it at work and had to stop when I got to the review of the return dinner party cos I just couldn't stop laughing and my boss noticed...is there a next instalment anywhere?

SoleSource Tue 18-Sep-12 14:23:23

Hilarious. I love the eccentric couple.

Haha never knew where/why we got the bear emoticon!
Now I know grin

bear anyone?

JennerOSity Sun 12-Aug-12 10:59:48

<Desperately wonders what the chances of getting an update after all this time are emoticon> bear

Haha that'll be a yes!

Hilarious thread, wonder where this friendship led to now almost 2 years later.....

Does the bear icon still work?

giraffesCantTakePartInThe100ms Sun 12-Aug-12 04:46:03

I love reading classics when I can't sleep bear

IamnotaStepfordHousewife Sat 04-Aug-12 19:07:25

grin Damn my phone

IamnotaStepfordHousewife Sat 04-Aug-12 19:06:25

[Grin] fantastic. It has been worth trawling though all 28 pages bear

takingiteasy Sun 01-Jul-12 21:14:23

bear

So that's what it was all about!

Epic thread!

takingiteasy Sun 01-Jul-12 21:13:19

[pombear]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now