This topic is for discussions about campaigns Mumsnet is running or may be planning to run. Go here for other campaigns or petitions.

Lighter Later campaign to shift the clocks forwards giving us an extra hour of daylight in the evenings - What do you think?

(286 Posts)
JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 29-Mar-10 14:46:04

What do we think of this campaign to move the clocks forward by an hour all year round?

10:10 LAUNCHES "LIGHTER LATER" CAMPAIGN

On the day of the spring clock change 10:10 is launching the Lighter Later campaign to brighten the nation's days, simply by changing the clocks so we are awake when the sun is out.

10:10 is proposing we shift our clocks to give us one extra hour of daylight in the evenings, all year round. In other words, the UK would shift to GMT+1 in the winter and GMT+2 in spring/summer.

If this was implemented the entire country would, overnight, be one step closer to a 10% reduction in its carbon emissions, as well as happier, healthier and better off. This is a great example of how action on climate change need not be negative, long-term or overly complicated, but rather simple, common-sensical and with multiple benefits.

Franny Armstrong, 10:10 founder and director of the climate change blockbuster The Age Of Stupid said

"Hands up who doesn't want our country to be safer, lighter, more prosperous and with less pollution? And who doesn't want to save money on their electricity bills without lifting a finger?"

This simple change would save almost half-a-million tonnes of CO2 each year1. That's equivalent to taking 185,000 cars off the road permanently.

But, as with so many of the simple behavioural changes 10:10 is recommending to people and organisations, this policy initiative has many benefits beyond the environment.

- Road Safety This policy could save over 100 fatalities on the nation's roads each year.

- Energy bills Consumers and businesses would use less energy thus saving money!

- Tourism & jobs It is estimated that, as a result of the measures proposed by the Lighter Later campaign, 60,000-80,000 jobs will be created through increased leisure & tourism, bringing an extra £2.5-3.5 billion into the economy each year.

- Prevent accidents. More daylight could prevent an estimated 1,000 serious injuries every year.

- Crime Lighter evening would reduce crime and fear of crime.

- Health. More daylight means more time for sports and outdoor activities.

These knock-on benefits mean that lighter evenings are now a more attractive prospect than ever. And people have finally started to take notice. From tourism trade bodies to road safety campaigners, and from sporting organisations to serving Government ministers, a new movement for lighter evenings is growing day by day.

10:10 is calling on individuals, businesses and organisations alike to add their voices to the call for lighter evenings all year round by visiting www.lighterlater.org

Article about it here.

AndiMac Mon 29-Mar-10 16:02:55

It's a great idea. Who the heck needs it to be light at 4:30am in the summer? I'd rather be outside enjoying a late barbecue in the evenings without it getting dark before I've even turned off the grill.

In winter, kids would go to school in the dark possibly for a few weeks. The trade off, being able to play outside during daylight hours after school. People are more alert driving in the morning after a night's rest than they are driving in the evening, worn out from work and therefore there would be fewer accidents in the evening.

Scotland could have its own time zone. It's hardly revolutionary for a country to have more than one time zone.

AndiMac Mon 29-Mar-10 16:04:16

Grr, can't see an edit button. Rewording it - "there would be few accidents in the evening if there was more light".

TheCrackFox Mon 29-Mar-10 16:10:26

They tried it before and it didn't work. Can't see it working this time either.

krugerparkrules Mon 29-Mar-10 16:13:12

I support it ......

Pofacedagain Mon 29-Mar-10 16:13:16

I agree with it entirely.

AndiMac Mon 29-Mar-10 16:16:10

When did they try it before? Why didn't it work?

Snorbs, here's the report: http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/closed/roadsafetyconsultation/ Page 106 and 107 of the PDF discuss it.

abride Mon 29-Mar-10 16:21:21

I am all in favour of keeping the clocks an hour forward (worked in WW2) but I'd like to see evidence of the 60,000-80,000 new jobs this would result in.

sarah293 Mon 29-Mar-10 16:25:54

Message withdrawn

MamaMtundu Mon 29-Mar-10 16:34:07

YES, YES, YES! It would be so much better. GMT+2 for summer months and GMT+1 for rest of year is what they are proposing isn't it?

abouteve Mon 29-Mar-10 16:54:04

I can remember as a schoolkid in the 60's having to wear reflective sashes to go to school in the mornings as we didn't put the clocks back one year, lighter after school, but very miserable walking to school in the dark.

midnightexpress Mon 29-Mar-10 16:57:00

'More daylight' - that is obviously bollocks. There isn't 'more daylight' at all, there's exactly the same amount.

And if it gets dark at 5 instead of 4, most people aren't out of work until after that anyway, so it'll still be dark on their way home. I'm sure the crims would be able to adjust their crime clocks accordingly too.

You lot down south, why don't you just start school earlier if it's so traumatic coming home in the dark, you lazy gits? Up here we have to go to school and come home in the dark.

I think it's a totally stupid idea! Just leave the clocks totally alone, please! One hour change is bad enough twice a year - imagine 2 hours in one go! Crazy!

There are enough children out there who find changes of routine hard to cope with, especially special needs children. I have an aunt who's son is SN, and the time change twice a year was not easy over the years. It required lots of planning/organising on her part, with 5-10 min changes with the alarm clock in the weeks/days before, just to keep from throwing him totally off!

Honestly can't see any reason why we need this silly change. Just ignore the clocks and go by the light available.

I agree with it. Why would it not be possible for Scotland to have a different time zone? ie. the one we're on now since they are so much further north and therefore have much less daylight. They have their own parliment so should be allowed to decide their own time zone.

legallyblond Mon 29-Mar-10 17:00:23

No no no no....! This would be terrible. I come from a farming family and this would be completely impossible. Farmers need to be up and about doing jobs (that absolutely need light) at 4/5am. Farming would not be possible if this change went ahead! Nooo!

Rockbird Mon 29-Mar-10 17:03:14

Just leave the bloody thing alone! The number of daylight hours will be exactly the same no matter what end of the day they're at. Be thankful you're not a bit higher up the globe where there is 24 hour darkness at times. then you'd have something to complain about. FGS it's such a non issue but they keep banging on about it like they are suddenly going to find a wonderful new way of re-jigging the daylight around. AARRGGHH!!!

<this topic gets on my tits >

Tee2072 Mon 29-Mar-10 17:04:05

Why Scotland can't be its own timezone...

Look at a map. With timezones.

You will note that timezones are arranged north south. You will also note that Scotland is directly north of England.

Therefore, it cannot be in a separate timezone from England.

It could, however, elect to or not to change its clocks. That's what parts of the US, such as the state of Arizona, do.

But timezones are not arbitrary.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 29-Mar-10 17:05:06

Farmers already work a different day to everyone else, so why does a nominal timezone matter to them anyway?

Put it another way - we've got x number of daylight hours and x numbers of school hours. What is the best (or least worst) overlap in winter and in summer?

Tee2072 Mon 29-Mar-10 17:05:22

I did forget to note that there are a few exceptions with small island chains that are brought into a non-linear timezone. But Scotland is hardly that.

skidoodly Mon 29-Mar-10 17:06:25

Does the same go for Wales and NI?

potentially 4 different "time zones" in a small country like the UK?

yes, all the expense and inconvenience would definitely be worth it so people can barbecue while it's bright.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 29-Mar-10 17:07:38

The optimal timzone depends on latitude and longitude. If you're at a high latitude with short days in winter, there may be benefit in having those hours asymmetrically around noon with more light in the afternoon, because modern living has gravitated to being awake longer after noon than in the morning.

skidoodly Mon 29-Mar-10 17:08:48

school isn't the only thing that matters in this

When they tried this last time in the late 70s (I think) there were more fatalities on the road, especially pedestrians being killed. So thats why it went back to how it is now.

So dark mornings must be more dangerous than dark evenings. hmm

Fair point, Scotland having it's own time zone not the best idea!

TigerFeet Mon 29-Mar-10 17:13:02

wouldn't it be easier for schools etc to adjust their opening times according to the season?

they could open later when it's dark in the morning

farmers could adjust their working hours according to when its light (the ones dh works with do this anyway)

those of us for whom it doesn't matter just stay as we are all year round?

no pissing about with changing the clocks for anyone (that hour has really buggered me up this year for some reason)

and it doesn't matter if it's dark in scotland and light in england at any particu;lar time - they would have different working/school hours to work round it

Finona Mon 29-Mar-10 17:14:11

Go for it Mumsnet - if this were to be implemented then it will bring independence for Scotland all the closer, as yet again the rules are set to benefit the South of England.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now