Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Is this the start of the peri-menopause? TMI Warning.

(822 Posts)
ScarahStratton Sun 16-Oct-11 17:25:05

Normally I have nice, light, regular periods. No cramping, no pain or bloating (I know, I've been incredibly fortunate).

This month I am having the period from hell. Very heavy, feel like I've put on 2 stone in as many days, and absolutely horrific cramps that nothing is shifting.

I've spent hours in a steaming hot bath today, and just want to crawl into bed with a big mug of tea and LittleDog to cuddle.

I'm 44.

f

Bellaciao Wed 28-Aug-13 20:22:29

Swearing Turtle I would want to see all women relieving their suffering as soon as possible, as soon as the menopausal symptoms become too much to bear if not before - with the help of HRT, preferably using the bio-identical oestrogen and progesterone preparations available.

SwearingTurtle Tue 27-Aug-13 18:36:19

Just spent a couple of hours reading through this thread and wanted to say THANK GOD there are more people than me suffering like this. That came out all wrong but you know what I mean.

My symptoms have included
-erratic, light periods
-tiredness for no reason
-muscle aches
-palps
-lack of interest in sex
-general sense of can't-be-arsedness
-chin like a billy goat
-spottiness

And probably loads of others that I can't remember but like most other things these days, I will class as "Thingie"

I have seen my smug, Helen Mirren-esque GP who looks like she probably sailed through menopause with glowing skin and probably enjoyed the whole process, about it who didn't sound too concerned at my symptoms, even though I was convinced I was either dying or shrivelling up as fast as a plum in the sun.

Well anyway, thanks for this thread. I am off to attend to some washing that has been sitting damp in the machine since yesterday.

Lighthousekeeping Sun 12-May-13 20:44:39

Is anybody there? For the first time ever I've had two periods in one month and today I thought I was going to bleed to death and no one would find me!! Never in my life have I head such a heavy flow. I hope it stops soon. My stomach has gone right down, though. It's weird.

LaDawnCP Fri 23-Nov-12 07:33:30

I was told by my doctor the my hormone test was negative for menopause but that the test is very sensitive and that a woman's hormones dip and rise in a matter of hours particularly if they are menopausal (which makes sense). It also means that it is extremely difficult to get a positive result. You have to be able to hit your hormone cycle just at the right hour (or minute). So I took matters into my own hands as the hot flushes were driving me crazy. I take a menopause herbal (black cohosh) tablet once a day. I use a hormone cream but only 2 times a week. I take flaxseed oil tablet once a day. I've added a multi vitamin that is specifically aimed at the menopausal woman. I got them all at Whole Foods in Clapham. They are probably laughing all the way to the bank with my money but at least my hot flashes have massively reduced in their severity and don't happen very often.

tennismad Wed 21-Nov-12 14:40:01

I'm 50 and have had irregular periods for a year, hot flushes and night sweats. Was advised to see a lovely nutritionist who gave me a combination of different vitamins and supplements and the symptoms disappeared within a week. She says as we are all different, there is no one answer for all women so definitely worth getting a personal consultation i think. Love, tennismad

Littlefish Fri 02-Nov-12 10:16:48

Hello. Can I join you.

I'm 44. For the last 2 years I've had an occasional missing period, but periods have been completely normal apart from them. In April at had an ovary removed due to a grapefruit sized dermoid cyst being unexpectedly discovered during surgery! it appears that the damaged ovary has probably not been working for some time. For the last 6 months I've started getting intense hot flushes, but without sweating. I just get incredibly hot and feel panicky. I'm now on day 70! of my cycle, so appear to have missed 2 periods.

Is this it? Will my periods come back again? I'm really struggling with it. We had trouble conceiving dd due to dh's fertility and now it seems that my fertility may have been compromised all this time too, due to the undisclosed cyst. All that angst for the last 7 years trying to conceive a second child and it's all too late.

whizmum Mon 15-Oct-12 15:58:49

Rowgtfc - I am on the pill too and wondering if I have menopause symptoms, but can find no useful info on the net.

I have yard broom bristles on the chin, but they come in threes, are painful (too big to get through the holes in the skin, I reckon), headaches and tiredness on my week off that go away as soon as I start the next lot) and painful joints. I have had the night sweat thing for years, so wonder if that is just me.

Will GP fund OH for vasectomy - it is cheaper and 10x more effective!

RowgtfcGOLD72 Fri 12-Oct-12 18:00:00

Have just found you lovely ladies (would name check but have that fuzzy memory thing that makes me click my fingers and point at things ! ) I have a question.If I went to the docs and told him my symptoms would he check me for peri-menopause or fob me off do you reckon? I dont have night sweats or the red mist but I do get chin wobble at adverts.And talking of chins I have three rather lovely chin hairs. My periods are bang on 29 days but now last 7 days instead of 5 and its always red blood then a sudden stop no tailing off if you see what I mean (excuse TMI).What bothers me the most though is the absolute knackeredness and old lady aches and three weeks of period pains. Im 40 and still on the pill, bloody GP wont fund me being sterilized and one 5yr old is enough! Can I join you lovely ladies ?

bubbles1231 Fri 07-Sep-12 01:28:54

Agnus castus works for me and the rage. Need to take it for about 3 months to see an effect. My periods are every 3 weeks and have been for the last 18mths. they've changed too- 5-6 days of messing around then it all happens in the course of 2 days.

MissBoPeep Tue 21-Aug-12 13:35:00

You need to start a new thread. Your question is lost in this thread title.

There is already a thread running on this topic if you scroll down a bit, or do a search.

needapal Tue 21-Aug-12 13:29:06

Hi,
I only found this site this morning as I was looking for info about menopause magnet. I started using it three weeks ago and it seems to have helped with some symptoms and I'm sleepiong better. Has anyone else tried it?

Mouseface Mon 23-Apr-12 21:00:38

Hey Mardy - LOVELY whoops, shouting, to see you. I must go and eat.

Back soon, if not tomorrow xx

MardyBra Sun 22-Apr-12 18:44:41

Hello all
Sorry to hear things aren't great for some of you - that's dreadful mouse.

Mouseface Sun 22-Apr-12 09:21:59

Hello, tis me, Mouse

So sorry to have not been around of late, RL is being an utter fuck muppet currently. sad

I've just started bleeding very heavily (my Mooncup™ fell out last night with the weight of the blood and tissue blush) and I am struggling to keep up with it. The pain is sharp and sickeningly unreal at times, and the nausea is just awful.

It's 48 days since my last period (sounds like an confession!) and they seem to be getting further apart with each month so I plan for 55 - 60 days and then I get one like this, only 48 days. confused

I've not caught up with the thread, how is everyone getting on? Any more appts? Results for tests?

Massive peri hugs for those who need them smile xx

ninah Fri 20-Apr-12 19:37:13

hi sin! I do a symptom check on this thread from time to time but I'm still not sure what to expect as the symptoms are all so variable. I am in general feeling v matronly and I don't like it. Still have periods, but body is changing ....I don't like it

Cupawoman Fri 20-Apr-12 19:31:53

Ladies....hello there. I have just been diagnosed with vaginal atrophy (yey) and prescribed vagifem. Anyone else been prescribed this? And, if so, did it work? Welcome to the world of nearly 50. I said nearly. On the plus side, I had my first mammogram last week and the results came back fine today....anybody care to join me in a glass of wine

MissFaversham Fri 20-Apr-12 15:06:12

Hi everyone <waves>

49 and once again I have been absolutely HORRENDOUS to my poor DP! Kicked him out last night convinced that I hate him sad had a total psychotic meltdown im sure my head swivelled. I totally go off sex for roughly two weeks before period too.

Dr did put me on citalopram but that just made me eat like a pig and have no desire for intimacy at all!

A couple of questions:

Going to try getting angus cactus and the other one which ends in OK (suffering memory loss as well) - can I take both at the same time? Also, does anyone recommend an actual dose or do I just go by what the bottles say?

Also, has anyone been through to the other end of all this and turned back to "normal" all the time?

sincitylover Mon 16-Apr-12 17:32:53

blimey sorry don't know what happened there with multiple posting. Bumping in case anyone has any comments.

sincitylover Sat 14-Apr-12 22:48:08

Also linked to my final comment - I'm a little worried about waning libido and my own perception of myself as an attractive sexual person - don't want to lose it and surely it's not necessarily the case?

What do others think?

Also linked to my final comment - I'm a little worried about waning libido and my own perception of myself as an attractive sexual person - don't want to lose it and surely it's not necessarily the case?

What do others think?

What do others think?

What do others think?

sincitylover Sat 14-Apr-12 22:48:05

What do others think?

sincitylover Sat 14-Apr-12 22:48:03

What do others think?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now