When meeting up take sensible precautions. Meet in a public place and let others know where you are going. You can also meet mums on your local site here.

Durham / Teeside / Tyne & Wear Meet up and random chat thread.

(895 Posts)
KaraStarbuckThrace Wed 29-Aug-12 21:44:36

Next meet up, Tuesday 4th September.
During the day, either Botanic Gardens in Durham or the Slug and Fiddle near the Gala Theatre in Durham City centre.

Now for some random chat.
DS sang a song about bolognaise today. And DD walked some more. But still prefers crawling and using my nipples as handholds on Mount Starbuck.

Indith Sat 23-Feb-13 08:12:10

grin glad those steelworks good for something. We still had snow left on the ground from last time just up the valley! Dh did give up rowing when the boy was born and concentrated on rugby but then he ruptured his cruciate so afteer surgery went back to rowing. I fucking hate rowing. Especially when FIL is coming and I'll have to cope with his rather late midlife crisis and his tales of woe about his not actually his girlfriend but who was enough of an OW to split him and ex up but who won't be his girlfriend but who he has all but stopped visiting the dcs for (she has small children so he gets his fix there) but who is trying to stop him going away with his choir even though there is no relationship hmm. I bet you are sick of him just reading that. He will be here, be annoying, won't wear his hearing aid, wind the kids up and spend 90% of his time texting her like a teenager.

LillethTheCat Sat 23-Feb-13 08:53:48

Thanks for the info re job hunting.

York and Leeds are further than Newcastle. I visit family in York once a month and it takes us ages to get there. If I was to work in the city centre (for example) it would take me an hour to drive to a park and ride (at a good time) then a further 15-20 mins to get to work. I drive to Thirsk once a week for a course and Ripon once a week for another course. Im looking in those areas too, but wouldn't want to go further than that TBH. Just wondering about Durham/Middlesbrough/Darlington area and the best place to look for work really.

The snow here has stopped me from going to Parkrun in Darlington this morning. I will have to go on the exercise bike for half an hour instead (I can't manage much more than that as its uncomfy and I get sore)

goldenretriever Sat 23-Feb-13 18:36:31

Lilleth, I would try county council websites. NHS jobs + sector one. Good luck.

On the want, does any Durham people know when the next cycle of exercise classes start? It would be Meadowfield or Abbey. Used to do Body Balance, but asking the staff anything is like pinning jelly on a wall.

Hideous day with snuggly children house bound due to snow. Roll on
takeaway and cider, classy!

If anyone is going through the horrors of ASD or learning difficulties diagnosis for their little one like me, please feel free to PM me, talk about isolating!

KaraStarbuckThrace Sat 23-Feb-13 18:46:03

Leeds isn't that bad to get to but York is hideous. Just one slow crawl from the A19. DH used to work in York.

But if you do live anywhere near the station York is under an hour. Of course you have to consider the other end.
golden, sorry to hear you're going through that. Have you tried the SN board on here?

babsmam Sat 23-Feb-13 19:13:16

Is it the les mills classes you do golden?

The ones in Darlo started new after new year and I think they are in 12 week blocks so probably after Easter weekend. That's a guess though. I wil try and find out from the Darlo lot on Monday at combat

Indith Sat 23-Feb-13 19:27:41

golden we are just over half way through the current release of body balance. it is a fairly simple one ti get ti grips with though, I go on Thursday nights why don't you come along with me? I can ask Kelly the date for the next one this week if you prefer to wait for a new release.

sympathy on the asd, no experience I'm afraid. such a shame you are finding it isolating. there is another girl in your village with a little girl must be around 2 or 3 who I believe is going through similar diagnosis, wonder if you know her at all, also wants to be a mw!

Indith Sat 23-Feb-13 19:29:39

I should say it is meadowfield class I go to.

LillethTheCat Sat 23-Feb-13 20:16:32

Good tip about the train. I live rurally so will have to drive and pay for parking (and train fare) which will take me 15/20 mins to get to the station. Good idea for closer cities like Newcastle though. Will look into that. Thanks SPB Have been looking at council websites and have applied for a few in the past. Didn't think about NHS so thanks for that idea Golden

Not got any advice about diagnosis Im afraid. We had a good team working with DS and got a diagnosis (Autism) for him quite well. If there is anything else I can help I will do my best.

Golden, no experience of being the parent in your situation but my brother is severely disabled both physically and mentally so have some insight into what you going through. Just give me a shout if you want to chat, rant, cry, drown your sorrows, whatever. Am also quite good at giving tips on being stroppy to get support. grin

T slept through for the first time last nightshock . He woke at 7 this morning. Probably a good job as I was at a leaving do last night and got a bit carried away...grin

Indith Sat 23-Feb-13 20:43:28

grin I somehow thought it was spb saying t had slept through, I was rather shock as her t is nearly 6!

Indith Mon 25-Feb-13 09:50:01

I think you should be able to plug your children in and get a print out of exactly what is wrong.

Dh had a bath yesterday afternoon so the dcs joined him for a bit. So then ds2 wanted milk because in his world after bath is milk and after milk is sleep so he merrily fed to sleep grin. Then woke up a bit later and screamed because he was all confused. Refused any dinner (having slept through dinner time) but later ate half our onion bajis hmm grin. Woke seventy million times over night rather than his usual fifty million times.

Ds1 didn't want to go to school this morning because "it is too much hard work" and dd refused breakfast because...well I have no idea why. She claimed the mouthfuls were too big.

I have no chocolate left and I want to bake.

It is a sad, sad world.

KaraStarbuckThrace Mon 25-Feb-13 10:12:10

Your morning sounds as good as mine.

Feel like saying screw everybody and everything and go back to bed.

DD in particular as she seems to have regressed to being a 4mo having a groeth spurt. Maybe I should buy some baby rice hmm

Indith Mon 25-Feb-13 10:22:42

Stick some rusk in her bottle, that'll sort her out.

Oh dear at regressing children. Lol at a getting all confused by having a bath in the daytime - life's just one big new experience for him!

Ugh it appears that we are all having a crappy day.

H apparently can't tidy her room because that'll mess it uphmm . T just wants to climb all over me which I do not appreciate.

I'm hiding upstairs because the builder has started work on the kitchen and it is mayhem. I have no idea how I'm going to cook lunch for the children.

Indith Mon 25-Feb-13 10:50:22

Go to a cafe.

Think of the shiny kitchen!

Love H's excuse. D's is usually "but I'm too tired! My legs will get all tired if I go all the way up there!"

Not payday till thurs grin . It'll have to be sandwiches. If I can find the bread.

We have plaster board on the ceiling which is progress. We had a leak when we first moved in and since then the kitchen has had large chunks of plaster missing three and a half years later it gets done

Sigh. Can't do the 19th now juney. Have to go to Brum on the stupid o'clock train instead.

KaraStarbuckThrace Tue 26-Feb-13 18:29:18

Booooo!!!!

Indith Tue 26-Feb-13 19:23:55

Oh I have a headache. Been into university to do my criminal record check. Getting very real! AND I have only fed the baby 3 times today- 6am ish, after lunch and now for bedtime! So there is hope for his starting at the CM without my exploding in a pool of milk mid lecture if we can keep things to this level grin. He even thought about maybe sleeping last night, did a whole 2 hours in a row at one point shock. Coughing has calmed down so methinks daddy needs to take over.

I am pissed off with daddy though. Leeds. Rowing. Weekends away. Can I jsut replace him with a nanny?

Indith Tue 26-Feb-13 19:24:35

How is the kitchen Spiggy?

Booo to stupid trains to stupid places.

We have a ceiling! Turns out there is more to do than I thought. Thankfully we have a fixed price with the builder.grin

A will figure out the new regime fairly quickly. Especially if daddy is in charge of nights grin

And boo to bloody rowing.

Dh now has to work the 23rd but I could do that and meet at 1pm if you want to shop that day.

OoohTrifle Tue 26-Feb-13 21:26:57

Light at the end of the respective tunnels Indith and Spiggy! Indith I saw sabotage the lycra kit and let the tyres down on the car/minibus.

I have drunk half a bottle of red whilst cooking dinner. I am pretending I am a young, carefree thing who will not be kept awake tonight by small person crying/moaning V BLOODY loudly in his sleep. These events have slightly softened my guilt his first two days at nursery and his displeasure at his new environment where biscuits are not on tap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now