When organising a Mumsnet meet up you should take the same basic precautions you would when meeting anyone from the internet - make sure you meet in a public place and that others know where you are going. You can also meet up with other mums on your Mumsnet Local page. Find your Local page here.

Meet in the middle at the schultuete shop!

(962 Posts)
PiratesKnittingTreasure Mon 20-Aug-12 20:13:31

Here we are smile.

DomesticCEO Thu 09-May-13 21:17:14

Sorry! Weekend was AMAZING but it's just been manic since. Did reply to your FB post DT but it disappeared blush. Will try again in a minute.

LG, so sorry to hear about your friend and her dh - how devastating for them sad. I would second hot food and lots of offers to babysit. And just keep in touch so you knows you're there and can help. Does she have school aged kids that need taking to school?

Dh has just arrived at his destination tonight after a 200 mile road trip and this is one of my worst nightmares. Can't imagine what she must be going through sad.

Gig, sorry to hear the sleep has gone to pot again - that's not good blush.

Oooh, what you doing to the house? Where are you decorating?

DomesticCEO Thu 09-May-13 21:17:53

"she" knows

LaGuerta Fri 10-May-13 11:38:13

Thanks for your advice. I will buy some extra ingredients. Their child is at school but at a different one in the next town. It was a bike accident (could be either push or motor, I don't know which at the moment but he does both) not car. I have similar worries about my DH's travels when he is working hard.

Gigondas Fri 10-May-13 16:44:36

It sounds horrendous as it is something that could so easily happen. Dh sometimes uses fold up bike in town and it does worry me even tho is sensible , has safety gear etc.

What are everyone's weekend plans? Sis and dp visiting tomorrow , then party for one of big gigs friends in Sunday (seems to be one every weekend at minute).

disguisedeb Fri 10-May-13 20:47:44

I would agree with the offers of food and childcare, maybe taking home some ironing for them, or washing?

disguisedeb Fri 10-May-13 20:50:20

weekend - big ones have gone camping with scouts, Tristan's 1st camp and it's so cold!! His rucksack was almost as big as him. Ethan's had slapped cheek this week but only mild so he's OK, but he's reluctantly clearing out of his room again as lisa returns tomorrow for her AS level exams. Nigel has made tea, washed up, taken boys to scouts and given me a big glass of wine grin

DTisMYdoctor Fri 10-May-13 22:49:52

Such a shame for your neighbour LaG. It's a holiday camp in comparison, but my recent bump in the car makes me really nervous on the road. It really pisses me off how many people are so reckless. I like to think I'm fairly careful and considerate on the road but you see so many potentially very dangerous situations. If I had been on a bike, I hate to think what damage the woman who hit my car would have done. That said, and I'm not anti-road cyclists at all, I also see some pretty reckless cycling on our commute (loads of cyclists in our city). It pisses me off, because they (like dangerous car drivers) give everyone else a bad name. Why can't all road users (and I'll add pedestrians to that too) just take care. Grrrr.

Hope the boys have a great time camping Deb (and that you're enjoying your wine wink).

Gigondas Sat 11-May-13 05:33:18

You should start a thread on the cycling issue in Aibu (actually agree with you as have same issue with loon cyclists here). That will go well grin.

Waves to deb- cant say I fancy scout camp much in cold. How is house buying going?

Been up half night with sick big gig (hope it doesn't pass on) - just having brew before sleep more.

Good luck tonight CEO .

DTisMYdoctor Sat 11-May-13 08:41:26

I'm not that brave Gig grin There has been a lot of cyclist v cars stuff here this week. There has been a dreadful and tragic case where a judge gave a lenient sentence to someone that clipped, and killed, a cyclist and the judge shifted blame on to her because she wasn't wearing a helmet.

As you might imagine there has, rightly imo, been complete uproar. But some of the online debate and discussion makes me cross - very much cyclists vs cars with really entrenched and opposing positions instead of considerate, safe road users vs selfish, dangerous, careless twats.

DTisMYdoctor Sat 11-May-13 09:09:39

Oops, pressed send too soon. How is Ethan today Deb?

Sorry to hear about bit Gig, Gig (I always have visions of you calling the girls big gig and mini gig at home grin). I hope you both are catching up on some sleep this morning.

I'll probably jinx myself now, but we've been remarkably lucky so far in the way of bugs, sickness etc. Especially given that he's at nursery (with a really big 'year' group'. Looking round my house as I sit in my pj's I like to think the lack of housework is proving good for his immune system wink

W/e plans - DH will be busy with his current project so DS and I hanging out at home. He's brought home a 'story pocket' from nursery - basically a plastic wallet with a book, some questions about the story (printed on some laminated card pencil shapes), postcards of different types of bears (the story is about a bear) for us to find out more information about and a sheet to complete a book review. This is probably the kind of thing your DC get from school all the time, but it's new for us grinand we're looking forward to doing that later. I'm not the best at doing 'play' stuff with DS (but thankfully DH is fab at it), but I like this kind of thing.

LaG - I was looking at those speech therapy sheets you posted ages ago again for a bit of reassurance. DS still really struggles with a lot sounds - th, r, lots of groups of consonants (unfortunate, given his name), and I've been a bit worried about him starting school. I just worry about the combination of him being small for his age, a bit shy, and speech issues. It seems from those sheets that it's not unusual for some children still to struggle with the sounds that DS is struggling with though. I've been thinking that losing his front tooth so young is making it a bit harder for him. It was useful to re-read all those tips.

I did want to ask if anyone knew of or had come across any tips or advice for encouraging children to be confident, assertive etc. DS really struggles in certain situations, and it's painful to watch, particularly because I struggled a lot during my childhood and still do sometimes I think it's really in his nature - there have been some signs going back to when he first started toddling around.

Well, this is a very big post! It's a risky business posting at the weekend - gets into thread killing territory!

DomesticCEO Sat 11-May-13 12:51:31

Hi all, thanks Gig, getting nervous now! smile And the weather is not looking too great either which is annoying. Ho hum.

Hope Big Gig better x

LG, any news on your friend's dh?

Deb, hope scout camp goes well. I'm just about to join scouts myself grin.

<ponders climbing onto cycling soap box and then climbs quickly off for fear of entering a 3 hour rant> grin smile wink

DT, thankfully DS1 has no homework except reading and I'm not a big fan of homework tbh. Horrified at the amount of homework some of my friends 4 year olds get, but it varies widely from school to school.

Re: confidence, I am a massive advocate of drama for building children's confidence. There are loads of drama groups round here (it's that kind of m/c pushy parent town grin!) but I have to say I think they're brilliant. DS1 is not exactly lacking in confidence but even he is gaining so much from his drama. I have absolutely zero ambition for him to take to the stage, but I think there's so much more to it. It helps with diction, voice projection, talking in front of an audience, the discipline of learning lines, team work, etc, etc.

I used to run a drama group at my old school and I loved it - the difference it made to the children in their confidence was amazing too.

If that's not an option or doesn't float your boat then I think there are things you can do gently that help encourage confidence. The biggest thing we do is encourage the boys to ask people questions instead of us doing it for them - and to buy things in shops, ask for the bill in restaurants, ticket on buses, etc. Obviously you need to pick your moment (and your people as some are more child friendly than others!) but it really does help them to speak to all sorts and engage with others.

Anyway, I better go. Have promised my feet a long bath to prepare for tonight! smile

DomesticCEO Sat 11-May-13 12:53:19

P.S. DT, should have said, all your anxieties about DS starting school are all completely understandable but hopefully entirely unfounded. I know LG and I both worried about our respective DSs and they have both been absolutely fine. Hopefully the same will happen for you.

It's such a big step! smile

DTisMYdoctor Sat 11-May-13 13:23:44

Thanks CEO, DS does drama at nursery and loves it, so I'll have a look for a local group for young children. I've got the details for the local Beavers groups too which I thought he might enjoy when he's old enough. Long waiting lists apparently so I thought I'd get in quick!

I agree with you re: homework actually. His story pocket thing was optional, but it seems like a nice way to encourage him to think about the story and find put a bit more about the animals in it. Mind you, I loved doing homework when I was quite young grin.

Best of luck tonight CEO, I'm off to sponsor you! X

disguisedeb Sat 11-May-13 20:05:43

Ethan all better, especially as Lisa has returned today. He said "I love you Lisa" in such a heartfelt way that I had tears in my eyes!She's back for 4 weeks then back to Germany.

Weather not too bad but we did have heating on last night so think boys may have gone to bed with all their clothes on., ie everything in their rucksacks.

Not a big homework fan here either, Ethan gets reading and sometimes phonics to practise. I have just started guided reading with my Reception children and I send home one activity for that as well as general reading books. I also send home words to learn, play games with etc...

House sale going slowly, but we don't want to move until Lisa's gone back anyway so we're looking at early July to complete. Have started researching the dog we're getting when we move grin

Gigondas Mon 13-May-13 20:07:31

Oh what kind of dog? Dog chat ongoing here.

That is lovely about Ethan and Lisa.

Well done CEO on the walk thanksthankswinewinesmilesmilesmile.

Big gig gave me her sick bug which has been a joy but doing ok aside from that. She seems to be turning corner at school too.

What's up with everyone else? What are the birthday requests?

DTisMYdoctor Mon 13-May-13 22:42:53

Very cute re: Ethan and Lisa. Sorry to hear you got the sickness bug Gig sad (<~ is that the sad face, I still can't tell these iPad app emoticons apart).

Had a lovely day out today with a MNer from our original thread - you can work out who from fb!

Birthdays - hmm, DS would like a bike and/or lego. He's not ready for a pedal bike yet (atrocious weather here so far hampering his renewed effort to master his balance bike - apparently there was the odd bit of snow around this morning!), so I'm loathe to get him something he won't be able to use for a while and will take up space We will get him a bike at some point, but I may not tie it into his birthday. So probably lego, but I'm toying with the idea of getting him a new scooter. We're on holiday during actual birthday though so not sure whether to do presents before hols or when we come back.

DTisMYdoctor Fri 17-May-13 07:36:46

Oh dear, did I kill the thread?

Gigondas Fri 17-May-13 17:12:57

No that's CEO job grin.

Posted and lost post but got pat on back on profess from dr today. Also had lovely catch up with CEO yesterday where we put world to rights.

Now just got to deal with over tired big gig (tantrum central here at night) and another party weekend for big big.

I think logic on s and bike sensible. Big gig no bike rider but think mini will be much more keen as is so active (climbs And Walks everywhere - big gig I think was only just walking at this age). No bright ideas here for birthday- just dont want to add to Barbie crap.

DTisMYdoctor Fri 17-May-13 17:24:46

How about playmobil Gig grin ?

Glad to hear your doc pleased with your progress.

It's been sunny here today. All day!!! Been at work though. :-(.

DomesticCEO Fri 17-May-13 19:12:22

grin Yay, I'm not alone in my thread-killing abilities!! grin

Had a mad week - stupidly 'volunteered' to take on the school fair a couple of months ago and it's proving a massive headache (surprise, surprise!). However, I met up with another mum this week who organised it for 5 years running shock and she was bloody lovely and has made me feel much better!

Also still recovering from the Moonwalk which was exhausting - losing a night's sleep I think more exhausting than walking 26 miles! It wasn't the best experience tbh, as my two walking 'buddies' decided on the night that I was too slow for them to walk with and walked without me the whole night. Walking 26 miles alone is a depressing experience I can tell you! blush However, Gig has now promised me (over nothing stronger than a cup of tea yesterday) that she will walk the Half Moon with me next year grin! I'm holding you to that Gig! <contemplates a fancy dress outfit that involves tying Gig to me so she can't bugger off if I'm too slow> grin grin.

Didn't know you were thinking of getting a dog Gig? Is this something that dh is up for too?? grin

Birthdays - the boys are getting a fort this year, which is costing an eye watering amount of £££££ blush. We nearly cancelled it yesterday but have now decided we're going to spend the money that they got from their Great Grampy. It was put in their savings account but they already have a ridiculous amount of money in there and I'm sure they can spare some grin. I think he would like the fact that it was put towards something which involved outside and imaginary play, seems a fitting tribute to him smile.

Deb, re: homework I'd forgotten about the games we get home - they're good fun but no pressure to do them which is good too.

Good luck with the ongoing house stuff smile.

LG, how is your friend's dh?

DT, how's the campaigning going?

Right, should stop ignoring the boys' wrestling match and go put them to bed!! grin

LaGuerta Mon 20-May-13 22:05:31

Hello everyone.

Friend's DH: I haven't heard about since last week. Friend is finding it vv hard responding to everyone's enquiries so I'm not pestering her. I did cook them tea one night last week. Need to check in with them again this week.

That's awful that your friends didn't walk with you CEO hmm.

I need to get invites out for DS's party this week. I want to invite about 10, but it is very hard trying to work out who not to invite given that DS is not exactly articulate about who his friends are.

I have managed to rule out the ones who whent I said: "Shall I invite Mary?",

he replied, "Tell me who that one is?"

These are children in his class not the rest of the year group. He clearly has his father's gene to be hopeless with names.

Gigondas Tue 21-May-13 06:32:14

Morning all.

grin At ds and names-I also have to do invites this week.

Big gig been up to her tricks. They did a writing assessment where kids have to sit and write something themselves without help. Big gig just sat there and did next to nothing... No surprise as have noticed she is reluctant to write (unless helped) but can read etc ok. Am a bit sadhmm about it as thiught we had got past not doing what teacher says (the not doing anything rather than how well she writes worries me). Any ideas?

Dr appt later to discuss radiotherapy (got to have some to stop any more neck etc issues) . Always makes me anxious going to appt but will be good to get some clarity on when will happen so can plan holidays etc.

DTisMYdoctor Thu 23-May-13 13:43:16

Hi everyone,

How did the doctor's appt go? Sorry to hear big gig is still having some issues re: school, no advice unfortunately.

I was also a bit shock at your friends abandoning you CEO. I think that's a bit mean.

I hope all the birthday parties go well - I need to get on with this year's extravaganza. DS has given me about 20 names, but because of the school holidays lots of people can't come usually, so I'm hoping lots can make it this year with it being the last one before starting school.

Fort idea sounds lovely CEO. I'm definitely going to go with a scooter for DS, but not sure to give it before or after our hols. Any thoughts? He will have his party and presents from that before hols so I'm erring on after for our present and family presents.

Campaign going well!

Gigondas Fri 24-May-13 06:52:04

Happy birthday for yesterday lag-did you have a good day?

Dt- dr appt was good (tho I got very stressed as usual about it!). Going to have my radiotherapy over 2weeks next month- will have fitting (they have to measure you up ) week after next. Big gripe at moment is that I get very stiff and sore if I do much (enforced rest does that) so need to balance how much I do. Could be interesting as off to France next week.

Glad campaign going well.

Also did iinvites for big gig party-it's a hello Kitty theme ....confused

Gigondas Tue 28-May-13 06:23:23

Ooh I have killed the thread wink.

In France for half term but weather not so great. We are trying to get mini gig into s bed ( have travel cot here which is getting small) without much success.

What is everyone else up to?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now