Is anyone else facing their first Xmas alone with the kids?

(30 Posts)

I am and I'm a bit nervous that it will be such a let down for the kids. My ex use to cook a fantastic lunch but I can't cook and don't particularly want to so I'm planning on buying ready prepared stuff.

faye0310 Sun 02-Dec-12 17:40:17

He is at his mams ATM deciding what he wants?! So think I will be a single mam at Xmas but have agreed he will stay Xmas eve as dd is only two and then his mams for lunch as it was already agreed x

Bluepenny Mon 03-Dec-12 09:40:14

It's my first Christmas Day morning with my son since he was 3 - for the last 9 years he's been with his Dad and their family for Xmas Eve/Christmas Day morning and do you know what I am so excited, as is he, even though he is now 12!

We are going to have a special Xmas morning breakfast in our PJs, open our presents together at leisure (not the usual rush as soon as he runs in the door and dives into everything). Christmas Eve will be quite frantic here, but DS is going to help and again, it'll be different to previous years for him and me.

Make it different to the past and it will be special and new. We are seeing XP's family after Christmas this year due to commitments not driven by me, but it will lengthen Christmas for DS and I see that as a good thing.

ItsRainingOutside Mon 03-Dec-12 16:17:14

My dd and I had our first Xmas alone last year - without my beloved dad who had always had Xmas with us but sadly passed away a few months earlier. We thought it would be dreadful - some parts were - but we decided on Shepherds Pie and Chocolate Fondant for lunch. We stayed in our PJs all day, ate all the food we wanted to eat - and as much of it as we could - watched Xmas TV and movies, cried and laughed a lot then cuddled up in bed, pleased it was all over. This is our second year alone and it is easier, we invited friends over to ensure we made the effort. We even might get dressed this year!!

papa123 Wed 12-Dec-12 21:02:44

I would love to be with my kids but ......

bel4gor Thu 13-Dec-12 12:31:43

Its my 1st christmas as a lone parent. The children are going to be with their Dad from 23rd to 25th morning. Hopefully he wont drop them back too late as I want some fun time with them. Going to sort out full Christmas Day menu with the children this weekend, turkey with lots of stuffing and yorkshire puddings! No pressies for me this year as his family were the only ones to buy me pressies:-( I am sure I will think of something to give myself and then act surprised.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now