Something bad happens and suddenly all these racist remarks on facebook

(90 Posts)
lottieandmia Wed 22-May-13 20:25:14

I feel terrible about what happened to that poor soldier. I was so shocked when I heard about it on the radio.

But why do people immediately start posting racist status updates starting with 'I'm not racist, I'm not against immigration' and then posting videos entitled 'Islamic infiltration in the UK'

I am going to get into rows with people over this and probably should delete my account.

Why do people think this type of terrorism has anything to do with Islam and why do people think we should start 'weeding out' people who do this. Terrorists don't even have to be residents of a country to carry out an attack.

Overberries Wed 22-May-13 21:07:43

I see some people taking action and responding to their racist friends and family or deleteing them. I also get the impression others are just happy to moan about it on a different social media site. Stand up for your morals - they are!

Succoria Wed 22-May-13 21:09:37

I was wrong. "Get the SCUM that killed our HERO out of our country, repost if you're PROUD TO BE BRITISH!!"

ODFOD.

ChasingStaplers Wed 22-May-13 21:13:48

I have just had this very conversation with someone.
It's disgusting and I've already reported some people for posts inciting people to exact revenge on the Muslim community.
I'm a little bit surprised by some of the people reposting this bollocks TBH and quite disappointed too.

lottieandmia Wed 22-May-13 21:14:05

Overberries - unfortunately mine are family and one a husband of a friend who I have known for 32 years so I can't delete them. I've posted my own status update to counter what they are saying though.

smokinaces Wed 22-May-13 21:15:03

I'm thinking of removing myself from fb before I say something I regret.

People seem to forget we have been fighting a war abroad for years. That we have as a whole been very fortunate with the very few incidents which have occurred on our land. They seem to be ignorant of the number of innocent people our government forces have killed abroad. Or that home grown English people can be evil and murderous too. Something like this happens and everyone turns into a "I'm not racist but...."

VBisme Wed 22-May-13 21:15:36

I've a lot if people horrified by the violence, but no racism.

I would defriend anyone spouting such nonsense. I think the terrorists are attempting to create racial disharmony, we won't help by wading in as well.

smokinaces Wed 22-May-13 21:15:47

Disclaimer that I do not advocate what has happened. I am sickened by it.

Overberries Wed 22-May-13 21:22:55

Lottie - that counts as being proud of your morals to me smile

I'm sure I'm not an angel, but from what some posters are reporting, half the content of FB is illegal yet we feel forced to turn a blind eye for fear of causing a stir?!

MikeLitoris Wed 22-May-13 21:25:50

I've given up trying have a reasoned discussion with any one on fb.

I can feel my blood pressure rising. I may have to delete my account before long.

Wereonourway Wed 22-May-13 21:30:15

Like mike(I think), rather than being scared to counter their shitty views its simply not worth it. My ex comes to mind, it's either black or white, no middle ground, no reasoning and a fucking huge amount of generalisation.

If there's one thing that angers me its generalisation!!!

Wannabestepfordwife Wed 22-May-13 21:31:07

The best post I have seen is from an ex soldier friend who was briefed 3 years ago that terrorists were planning to take soldiers from barracks 3 years ago and in all this time the government knowing the threat of attack decided to do nothing.

I am very proud to know him

Wannabestepfordwife Wed 22-May-13 21:31:59

I meant to put and behead them

I was about to start a very similar thread, when I saw this one. Several acquaintances showing their true colours this evening. One has put a lovely message of compassion and hope. Two others have posted stuff full of hate that makes me feel sick.

nailak Wed 22-May-13 21:35:24

OP it is Because you have racist friends.

My facebook;

"some people need to wise up....wat the hell has it got to do with me what happened today!!!!" (from a irish muslim woman in ireland)

"A man was hacked to death in broad daylight in the name of Allah. What has the world come to? What kind of exposure to Islam drives a person to kill. Who are such people exposed to that they feel justified in carrying out murder? The man even came up to a camera to rant about what he had done and make out like he was doing it in the name of Allah and to defend Muslims.He murders a man in cold blood and then takes Allah's name. What a disgrace and what an insult to Allah!

Please be vigilant as one extremist's action is another extremist's fuel. Already extremists have come out and tried to take advantage of this and divide our community. They will not succeed inshaAllah.

Not only do I condemn this act, but the process of indoctrination that has led to it. The madmen in our community must be exposed and our authorities must do more to take action against them.

Our thoughts and condolences go out to the family of the victim" (another Muslim)

"*Newham DawahTeam*
Funny how uncle muhammad saleem chaudharys murder a couple of weeks ago in birmingham wasnt treated as a 'terrorist attack' #although it aint funny.

Islamaphobia on the rise. Lets equip ourselves with beneficial knowledge and tackle these issues inshaAllah"

"On Woolwich attack... As there maybe a backlash on Muslims, my suggestions are as followed...
We go out and be even better human begins. Yes a few bad apples spoil the bunch, but here is an opportunity to show the world what we are really standing for... Peace, love, justice and harmony for all.... Shall we rename us Hippies lol.... Sorry wrong time for a joke.
The world has enough hate, lets show LOVE.... xxx" (Muslim woman)

"*Muslim Mums*
Forwarded message:
Asalaamu alaikum sisters, There's been an English soldier attacked in Woolwich (south east London) today by Muslims shouting 'Allahu Akbar'. They approached this man wearing a 'help for heroes' t-shirt and beheaded him in front of a crowd, they were also recording the attack & had knives and guns. They posed with the body on the floor asking people to take pictures & its being treated VERY seriously. When police arrived Two of the attackers were shot. It's all over the news & the attackers are clearly Muslim- this may spark a backlash, so please be very careful when you go out, whether you live nearby or not! Please pass this on in sha Allah.."

"*Appeals for Help as elderly man Stabbed to Death in Small Heath*
Can't believe how many anti-Islam pages have popped up in the last few hours. Well its about time we proved these idiots wrong. Like and Share People. Not in the Name of Islam.

https://www.facebook.com/NotInTheNameOfIslam?bookmark_t=page

Not in the name of Islam
With recent events its clear a hate campaign has started against Islam - This page has one purpose to eradicate misconceptions about Islam. I am a British Muslim - not a Jihadis. I live a peacful life, I work, Pay Taxes and respect the law of the land.
Page: 69 like this."

and so on

I think you just need to change who you have on your fb if you are having this problem.

and for all those who say Muslims dont speak out against this stuff, have a look at my time line, they do.

Pixel Wed 22-May-13 21:36:09

The attackers are not representative of most muslims pixel who would not condone in any way what these people did.

I never said they were representative. I'm well aware that the majority of muslims are decent people. I was just responding to the question of why people think it has anything to do with Islam, because plainly it does, if the attackers say that's why they did it. I don't see why we can't accept that fact whilst still acknowledging that brutes like that are in a minority? Why do we have to pretend that religion had nothing to do with it?

I'm not on facebook btw so I don't know what people are saying. I can guess though (which is why I'm not on facebook!).

notnagging Wed 22-May-13 21:36:37

Yep same heresadThis is the same area that Stephen Lawrence was murdered & his attackers still live protected. Racism is rife in Woolwich. You have the barracks & the mosque. Trouble has been brewing for years.sad

nailak Wed 22-May-13 21:39:19

where did the attackers say that is why they did it? when did it become a fact? how did it become a fact?

WhoWhatWhereWhen Wed 22-May-13 21:41:23

Many people are very distressed by what has happened, many of those comments are made in haste, sadly many people will use this to stir things up

cantbloodywellchoose Wed 22-May-13 21:44:12

A friend of mine is doing sterling work telling the racists on her Facebook feeds how stupid they are being, and linking to stories about April Jones and Dale Cregan to show that white people can also do bad things.

This is a great idea. I have been waiting for the racists to pop up on my FB feed (one person in particular is renowned for it) and I shall respond in this way when they do although it is their utterly bigoted mates that are the worst.

lottieandmia Wed 22-May-13 21:45:28

Thank you nailak. I have shared some useful links on my page.

lottieandmia Wed 22-May-13 21:47:31

Pixel - my personal view is that these people use religion as an excuse - I don't accept that their behaviour has any basis in Islam because Islam is not about this sort of stuff.

Manchesterhistorygirl Wed 22-May-13 21:58:39

There's a video of the alleged attacker on the guardian website. Stomach churning.

It's definitely unfriending time. Have you seen the EDL are already on the streets of woowhich tonight. Awful. The poor victim, his poor family.

showtunesgirl Wed 22-May-13 22:00:58

I just thoroughly checked my timeline and am very pleased to report that I will not need to Unfriend anyone.

MiniTheMinx Wed 22-May-13 22:01:03

It's not about Islam.

Islam might be the popular rallying cry and the means by which people are being indoctrinated to fight this war of terror. BUt religion is not the cause.

That man shouted "get your governments out"

Those at the top of the chain know what they are fighting..........western imperialism.

Our government is complicit in having driven this and they want you to believe that this hatred is irrational, it is anything but.

bkgirl Wed 22-May-13 22:05:52

Extremists are not representative of ordinary decent people. Racism is just ugly and idiotic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now