I don't know one single reason why Scotland would want to quit the UK

(366 Posts)

I'm genuinely interested in the reasons why Scotland want to break away from the UK. I'm sure there must be many good ones but I jyst can't see any atm.

prettybird Wed 21-Nov-12 23:19:22

...although that would mean he's not the 100% he claim he is grin

Prettybird Surely you understand the temptation faced in 1588 by DH's Great Granny (too late for me to work out just how Great!) when she chanced upon a bonny, if slightly waterlogged, Spanish seaman on the beach? Sounds like you're reaping the benefits today so can overlook the slightly less than 100% grin

prettybird Thu 22-Nov-12 07:53:01

If you could see my dh, then yes! winkgrin

All good then Prettybird grin

I'm a YES voter.

Head says: tackling the difficulties regarding poverty, social iniquity, urban vs rural issues, and other problems that I feel are particularly Scottish (Rangers/Celtic sectarianism) would be (hopefully) less challenging when dealing with a population of @5 million as opposed to a population of @60 million, when there are historical, logistical, societal, and political ideology differences between them.

Heart says: I hope, I wish, that Scotland could fulfill the potential of its people and again demonstrate that they are still great inventors, artists, writers, pioneers, explorers, and thinkers.

(and the idea that David Cameron is keeching his pants at the thought of going down in History as the man who failed to prevent the break-up of the U.K fills me with delight grin )

prettybird Thu 22-Nov-12 10:31:19

Don't you mean The Rangers? wink

That's part of why ds plays rugby and not football

PoppyAmex Thu 22-Nov-12 10:35:13

(and the idea that David Cameron is keeching his pants at the thought of going down in History as the man who failed to prevent the break-up of the U.K fills me with delight)

How didn't this occur to me? Yet another very valid reason to vote YES grin

prettybird Thu 22-Nov-12 15:12:14

grin

prettybird Fri 23-Nov-12 14:35:04

Just had a spurious thought: if the Scots vote for Independence and if they choose to retain the monarchy, would our Queen then be Queen Elizabeth I ? wink

prettybird When the Scots vote for Independence, and if they choose to retain the Monarchy it will be Liz the 1st, then Chuck the 3rd, and then King William (which will really cheer up The Rangers and make all their current woes seem insignificant)

Rugby here too...no time for that Blue/Green embarrassment.

prettybird Fri 23-Nov-12 17:25:00

I've just seen an article that was in the Telegraph last month saying that if Scotland achieved independence and decided it didn't want to enter into an agreement with England to continue to host Trident, there was nowhere suitable in England because "Devonport in Plymouth has too large a population in the surrounding area to safely store nuclear warheads"

Population of Plymouth 260,000
Population of Glasgow and environs 1.2 million

hmm

prettybird Just you and I left to thrash it out on this Thread I think! Can the last Tory left in Scotland please turn the lights off on their way out grin

Re: above comment - here, have my shock 'ed face....though why I should be shocked at anything the Tories do to Scotland I don't know (Poll Tax introduced here one year before England, Wales, and N.I. Was only south of the border 'Poll Tax' riots that got any attention 12 months later) I have driven through Glen Douglas a lot of times, and have always found it creepy - would give my eye teeth to have a look at the underground network that is below the seemingly innocuous above the few ground roads and bunkers.

Never mind the oft fabled 'North Sea oil revenues', rental charges for storing nuclear warheads (post-Independence) should see us right for a few years.

ALMOSTMRSG Sun 25-Nov-12 23:00:50

WASLOST - Nuclear weapons are not stored at Glen Douglas.

Beveridge Sun 25-Nov-12 23:03:16

The Queen currently IS Elizabeth the First of Britain and Scotland. She's only Elizabeth II of England, Wales and Ireland.

But you'd never know that by the postboxes.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 26-Nov-12 09:07:30

Almost Nukes are stored at Coulport, about 25miles from Glasgow. I think that is close enough to be slightly concerned, and then of course there are the nuclear warhead equipped subs which potter up and down the Clyde...

ALMOSTMRSG How do you know that? I think that the whole of Glen Douglas will open up like a scene from Thunderbirds should the big red button get pressed grin

Storage is theoretically all well and good, but however unlikely the possibility of an all out thermonuclear war is...would the other side be kind enough to wait until we pop down to Coulport, dust down a few warheads, then wonder where they could launch them from, have a AIBU MN discussion on the matter, before realising there's only the lucky few humans left alive in the Glen Douglas and London bunkers?

As ItsAllGoingToBeFine indicated, the whole area is Nuke Central. Whether subs, underground command centres, or weapon storage, it would certainly be a priority target.

Nuclear strike capacity is just willy-waving of the highest order... sad

Not4turning Sat 08-Dec-12 02:39:22

The minute Scotland leaves the uk, if I find that one penny of my tax goes there, I will start the revolution myself. I really mean it.

I believe that as an Island we are alright, thanks but when the scots go into the EU we will have a problem protecting the uk because they will be part of Europe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now