God, those NoW journos were utter scum weren't they?

(2477 Posts)
headfairy Mon 04-Jul-11 17:02:48
CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 04-Jul-11 17:04:56

"You cannot hope to bribe or twist (thank God!) the British journalist. But, seeing what the man will do unbribed, there's no occasion to"

A boycott of NOTW seems long overdue..

Stokey38 Mon 04-Jul-11 17:07:26

That is just awful.

Bloody hell.

headfairy Mon 04-Jul-11 17:09:36

cogito, I've long since stopped wondering who on earth reads it now... surely it's lost it's credibility a long time ago?

LadyBeagleEyes Mon 04-Jul-11 17:13:44

I've just seen this in the news. I'm shock.
If it's true, they have really gone too far. And makes me wonder how far the other tabloids will go for a story.
This isn't about celebrities getting phone hacked about their silly little lives.
As for a boycott, well it worked for the people of Liverpool and the Sun. I don't need to boycott it, I would never read it, but maybe it'll make people think about buying it.

Shoesytwoesy Mon 04-Jul-11 17:15:57

that is awful I think it would be good if shops refused to sell it

headfairy Mon 04-Jul-11 17:18:39

LadyB, I think previous inquiries have identified a particular culture at the NoW towards aggressive journalism, stopping at nothing to get the story first. Obviously I'm sure the other tabs have their stories of shame too, but I think it was particularly endemic at the NoW...

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 04-Jul-11 17:19:56

I don't even care if it is only silly celebrities being hacked. There are lines that shouldn't be crossed. If the newspapers don't want to be clamped down upon with privacy laws they'd better sort their houses out. And I really hope someone breaks ranks over this, implicates a few names and we get to see them in a courtroom....

thestringcheeseincident Mon 04-Jul-11 17:21:27

It's truly awful. As if they haven't suffered enough.
I'd love to see shops boycotting this dish rag.

headfairy Mon 04-Jul-11 17:23:22

cogito I think the royal correspondent has already been jailed...

I gather a lot of the journos involved in the phone hacking scandal have been sacked, but I think they should face prosecution as well.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 04-Jul-11 17:27:08

It's not just the NOTW. There's someone I know who used to be at the Mirror and his name keeps cropping up as one of those that asked for the info and then turned a blind eye on how it was collected. Other newspaper staff did the same thing. That's why the story has never quite taken off the way it should. Something like this has the potential to blow it wide open.

aliceliddell Mon 04-Jul-11 17:37:13

Boycott now! Start that campaign by cancelling my order! No, wait....
How can we get shops to boycott? Murdoch must be stopped. This has gone too far.

headfairy Mon 04-Jul-11 17:38:39

AliceLiddell I think an MP has called for Murdoch's take over of BskyB to be stopped now too.

ComeWhineWithMe Mon 04-Jul-11 17:43:24

That made me feel a little bit sick.
Lowest of the low, I don't buy or read online but would love to see shops boycotting it.
I wouldn't use it to wipe my arse on.

FairyArmadillo Mon 04-Jul-11 17:45:04

I'm speechless. I really am. What an evil thing to do.

headfairy Mon 04-Jul-11 17:48:40

The woman in charge of the paper at the time remains Rupert Murdoch's chief executive in Britain, her male deputy managed David Cameron's media office until January. That paper is rotten to the core.

Empusa Mon 04-Jul-11 17:49:16

That is absolutely disgusting behaviour sad Her poor family, as if they didn't have enough to deal with.

SinisterBuggyMonth Mon 04-Jul-11 17:51:10

lowest of the low

catinthehat2 Mon 04-Jul-11 17:52:55

"Current News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks was the Screws editor at the time. "from here

bibbitybobbityhat Mon 04-Jul-11 17:57:18

Utterly speechless.

WorzselMummage Mon 04-Jul-11 17:57:50

Despicable sad

SeaShellsAndTheInlawInvasion Mon 04-Jul-11 18:04:29

Murdoch can not be allowed the merger!

Disgusting, and mind blowingly low.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 04-Jul-11 18:07:13

Don't be misled into blaming Wade for the whole thing. The stench is too big to have been made by just one person.

catinthehat2 Mon 04-Jul-11 18:26:51

well hold on, how does that work?
I think the normal expectation is that if something happens on your watch, you are deemed to take the hit
or are things somehow different in certain parts of Fleet St?

so far the monkeys have gone to prison, at some point the organ grinders must be included? Andy Coulson anyone?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now