MNHQ have commented on this thread.

MumsnetGuestPosts (MNHQ) Fri 18-Mar-16 17:09:13

Guest post: Nicky Morgan - "Why academisation is best for our schools"

While deputy head Tim Paramour argues that turning all schools into academies is a gamble with our children's futures, Education Secretary Nicky Morgan says the change will allow every student to fulfil their potential

Nicky Morgan

Education Secretary

Posted on: Fri 18-Mar-16 17:09:13

(999 comments )

Lead photo

"I am a firm believer that an exceptional education transforms children's futures."

As parents, we all want the best for our children. We want to make sure they have access to the best opportunities and to help them grow up into well-rounded adults. Making sure that our children have a high quality education is a key part of that.

I want to outline exactly what academisation means and why I truly believe this is the best way forward for our schools. Our children only have one shot at receiving the best education and I am committed to ensuring this happens as swiftly as possible.

We need to put our trust into the hands of the people that know best how to run our schools - the teachers - and the academy system does just that. This video tells you more about what an academy is. It gives schools greater autonomy to make the decisions that are right for their community and pupils. After all, we have the finest generation of teachers ever and being part of an academy helps put the power back in their hands.

The most recent results show that the percentage of pupils achieving the expected level in reading, writing and maths at the end of Key Stage 2 in primary academies has risen by 4%, from 67% in 2014 to 71% in 2015. Additionally, when it comes to secondary, it's a similar story with converter academies which are performing 7.2% above the national average, with 64.3% of pupils achieving five good GCSEs.

I am committed to making it easier for you as a parent to play an even more active role in your child's education. I want to put young people and parents first – something that might sound obvious, but the truth is that for too long parents have been an afterthought in our education system.

However, a dynamic school system where all schools are academies is just one part of a much wider plan to improve our education system which I set out yesterday in our white paper.

It is every parent's right to know their child is in an excellent school no matter where in the country they live. I am confident that this move will guarantee a higher school standard with each academy held to account for the performance of their pupils.

Ultimately, I am committed to making it easier for you as a parent to play an even more active role in your child's education. In essence, I want to put young people and parents first – something that might sound obvious, but the truth is that for too long parents have been an afterthought in our education system. We want you as parents to have a much stronger voice in what happens to your child during their school years, because we know that you want the very best for your child.

So how are we doing that? Firstly, I am well aware that the education system can appear complex to many parents. I am dedicated to changing this once and for all, and putting the control firmly back in your hands. As a result of this, I plan to introduce a new, online Parents Portal from as early as next year. This portal will enable parents' access to key information and allow you to support your child's learning.

Alongside this, we have changed the curriculum and the way that students will be assessed. This will help to raise standards and make sure that your child leaves school with the knowledge and skills they need to succeed. It is imperative that every child fulfils their potential, and this includes stretching the most able pupils.

More young people will also study the EBacc - a combination of maths, English, two sciences, a humanity and a language - up to the age of 16. And the exams and qualifications young people are awarded will set a new international gold standard that is respected by employers, helping them to succeed in our increasingly global world.

I am a firm believer that an exceptional education transforms children's futures and everything outlined in this White Paper is committed to ensuring that parents and pupils come first. Our goal must always be to ensure every single child leaves school with the best education and the opportunity to excel in adult life. I believe that together, we can achieve that goal.

By Nicky Morgan

Twitter: @NickyMorgan01

lljkk Fri 18-Mar-16 17:17:57

Does NM actually believe the stuff she writes?

Would you ask Radio4 More or Less to check all your statistics?

Popcorn, anyone?

megletthesecond Fri 18-Mar-16 17:21:24

She didn't have the guts to come in for a web chat then?

I could pick endless holes in that post but I've got tea and showers to crack on with.

cestlavielife Fri 18-Mar-16 17:25:04

"a new, online Parents Portal from as early as next year. This portal will enable parents' access to key information and allow you to support your child's learning."
already exists at my dds (non academy) school

they also do the ebacc.
it's a great LA maintained school. The LA is pretty good.

who oversees the academies?

angryangryyoungwoman Fri 18-Mar-16 17:31:10

What a load of rubbish. I can't be bothered to pick apart why, I'll let everyone else do it. I have to put my daughter to bed.
Bloody tories.

LineyReborn Fri 18-Mar-16 17:32:46

Nicky Morgan, you haven't got a clue, have you? Making life easier for parents, really?

When are you going to stop parents being prosecuted for not sending their children to schools that can't even keep those children safe from serious physical, sexual and emotional harm?

When are you going to accept that children with ASD also present more frequently with certain other issues such as epilepsy and depression and that CAMHS is crap at dealing with this?

When are you going to accept that many of today's parents were let down in their youth, and don't have the money or skills to access 'parent portal', and when they don't have WiFi, can't read very well, and have no money.

When are you going to make absent parents pay the full cost of raising their child?

Ffs. Get real.

cestlavielife Fri 18-Mar-16 17:33:34

"In light of the policy changes set out in this white paper, we will review the responsibilities of local authorities in relation to children, including the implications for the roles of the Director of Children’s Services and the Lead Member for Children"

interesting

cestlavielife Fri 18-Mar-16 17:34:34

will you privatize social services too?

rosebiggs Fri 18-Mar-16 17:37:56

If the Conservatives actually do value teachers and their skills/training, then why are academies free to employ unqualified teachers? It's nonsense.

YesterdayOnceMore Fri 18-Mar-16 17:38:53

I am struggling to write something that wouldn't earn me a deletion. There is so much wrong with the white paper, I don't even know where to start.

Gove, Morgan and the Conservatives have ruined my children's futures angry sad

lljkk Fri 18-Mar-16 17:40:40

Procedure How to complain to or about an academy school.
Might be handy to bookmark that now.

GingerIvy Fri 18-Mar-16 17:41:13

Complete and utter rubbish. You ought to be ashamed of yourself for peddling this as an improvement for children's educations.

LineyReborn Fri 18-Mar-16 17:41:15

Cameron now thinks Gove is nuts, interestingly.

vindscreenviper Fri 18-Mar-16 17:41:28

She's not coming back to answer any questions is she?

Pointless patronising guest post.

tethersend Fri 18-Mar-16 17:42:54

Paaaahahahahaha 😂😂😂 wwooooohhooo😭😭 GOOD ONE
Hang on.

BlueEyeshadow Fri 18-Mar-16 17:43:48

There are petitions to stop this damaging and nonsensical policy. Write to your MP.

I have nothing to say to Nicky Morgan that's fit to print.

BeautifulMaudOHara Fri 18-Mar-16 17:45:08

Thank goodness my children haven't got too long left in education, this government is disgraceful.

mercifulTehlu Fri 18-Mar-16 17:45:32

What a load of absolute crap. If I were even considering voting Tory next time, this above all else would stop me. Paying big bosses of academy chains hundreds of thousands of pounds while being unwilling or unable to recruit, pay and retain qualified and experienced teachers? No thanks.

YesterdayOnceMore Fri 18-Mar-16 17:45:47

I'll just leave this here:
petition.parliament.uk/petitions/124702

YesterdayOnceMore Fri 18-Mar-16 17:46:52

Beautiful The awful thing is, it will affect your future grandchildren too.

mercifulTehlu Fri 18-Mar-16 17:48:36

Signed.

BeautifulMaudOHara Fri 18-Mar-16 17:48:40

I know, it will affect my grandchildren.

It's absolutely outrageous.

BlueEyeshadow Fri 18-Mar-16 17:49:17

Empowering parents by removing parent governors. By denying parents choice. Classic double think.

GingerIvy Fri 18-Mar-16 17:50:15

Petition signed.

With the hope that this thread turns into a big long thread of everyone verifying they've signed the petition as well.

sugar21 Fri 18-Mar-16 17:53:10

What a lot of patronising rubbish
Petition signed

This thread is not accepting new messages.