Has anyone retrained to be a foot care health practitioner?

(6 Posts)
nannyj Wed 02-Sep-15 10:34:46

I was speaking to a lady yesterday who originally trained as a chiropodist and she recommended I take a course to be a foot care practitioner. She said she has to turn clients away because she's so busy. I'm a single mum on minimum wage at the moment and rely heavily on tax credits and need to find a career that will not cost too much to retrain in and not take too long as I'm not very young smile.

I was just wondering if anyone else has done the distance learning course and practical course and is actually working now?

Thanks

PeterParkerSays Wed 02-Sep-15 10:49:00

I looked into it but you need science type A levels, which I don't have, to get onto the course.

I don't know if there is some sort of Access course available but it would have just taken me too long to get to qualification. Podiatrist / chiropodists are in demand though, so it would be a reliable move.

Mbw22 Sat 03-Oct-15 08:29:04

Hi, I am looking into re-training as a foot health Practicioner. I am leaning towards SMAE institute at the moment, spoken to a few people and feel it's the right time for me to do something like this. I really like feet!!! You don't need an A level to access this course, maybe it's the degree course you have looked at peterparkersays? I currently have a job that pays well and it's terrifying to make that jump from full time, stable imployment into rerunning my own business. I have worked in an environment for the last 20 years which will help me create a success business (I hope) I just need the courage to take the leap of faith.

Bond Wed 03-Feb-16 14:48:44

Hi,
Does anyone have an update on this thread?

I have been considering this and plan on speaking to my local Doctors surgery to see if an FHP is something they employ.

The course is £1000 which scares me if it isn't all that employable.
I have previously done a Reflexology course for a similar cost and can get no work what so ever!!.

Hoping with the job of an FHP is is more of a NEED than a WANT.

would love to hear if anyone went for it and is doing well.??

jclm Thu 04-Feb-16 21:21:31

Following!

fusspot66 Thu 04-Feb-16 21:24:33

The NHS can only employ HCPC Registered clinicians. (Health Care Professions Council.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now