Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mooncup appreciation thread........

(122 Posts)
Gingeme Tue 11-Nov-08 12:24:16

I'm suprised someone hasn't done this already!
I used a mooncup for the first time ever this month and I can't stop going on about it. Its better than anything I have tried. Its fanbloodytastic grin Never had such a hassle free period in my life I can tell ya.
(raises her cofee cup) Heres to the mooncup, long may she reign'. smile

Macdog Tue 11-Nov-08 12:41:36

Best money I've EVER spent!!

pushchair Tue 11-Nov-08 12:41:45

Why? Give me the lowdown on what it is about the Mooncup....

spinspinsugar Tue 11-Nov-08 12:45:53

The only downside is that one often forgets one is menstrating. I do have the occasional wave of panic once it's all over that I have forgotten to remove it blush.

pushchair Tue 11-Nov-08 12:49:02

Go on about it then please.

VinegarTits Tue 11-Nov-08 12:50:42

Mooncups are great, and you are doing you bit for the environment as well as saving yourself some money

Gingeme Tue 11-Nov-08 12:52:38

No mess,no smell, no pain, no sticky gungy towels,no leaks at night,total freedom realy. Sooooooooooooooooo discreet easy to insert and remove and without sounding too gross it amazed me how little blood there was tbh! Anyone else think of anything I've missed out? smile

Gingeme Tue 11-Nov-08 12:53:44

So true sss smile

spinspinsugar Tue 11-Nov-08 12:56:33

I had too much pain with tampons, but not with a Mooncup. It is sooo much better than (TMI alert) spending days with a soggy pad up against your bits (and bog roll wedged in your butt overnight!).

spinspinsugar Tue 11-Nov-08 12:57:41

snap Gingeme

Gingeme Tue 11-Nov-08 12:59:39

Oh and no big 'on' knickers especialy at night. I always found I was a bit sore for a few days after my period because of having a pad on for 5-7 days but not this time smile

pushchair Tue 11-Nov-08 17:33:44

How many times did you have to empty it during the day?

MmeLindt Tue 11-Nov-08 17:35:14

Shit. Just remembered that I havent emptied mine since last night blush

Sorry, TMI

It is fab

nappyzonehasastroppytoddler Tue 11-Nov-08 17:36:57

I am with you - i converted about 6 months ago and love it - so easy and i have also developed a fascination with how much is collected blush. Someone at work made a joke about then and i was dying to blert in and say actually i have one but didnt dare . They are fabarooney

kingsofleon Tue 11-Nov-08 17:38:42

i've only heard of them on here..they sound awful tbh..

pushchair Tue 11-Nov-08 17:45:48

No I am tempted! Well maybe that is the wrong thought but would like to try one.

DisasterArea Tue 11-Nov-08 17:53:11

i love my mooncup. have eangalised about them to every female i know. have even offered to get one for DD just in case (she was disgusted but will gt one anyway)

now the best thing is not having to fork ot for tampons every month

what do you do right at the end? my periods are very ligt and usually have a couple of days when mooncup isn't needed but a liner is, but i don't like to have to buy them (although have had current box for at least 4 years) (do they go off?)

Gingeme Tue 11-Nov-08 18:29:49

pushchair I was a bit over enthusiastic about emptying it at first. Paranoid it would leak but your supposed to empty it every 4-8 hours depending on how heavy you are. Must admit the last day I did use a liner too. Nappyzone musy admit I was realy interested in how much I collected too smile Even when I was heavy, usualy the first couple of days it was hardly anything shock
Go on pushchair give it a go! What have you got to lose?
They realy are hassle free.
Why do they sound disgusting kinsofleaon? What did women use before sanitary towels then? Think mooncups were here first. Or then again I could be wrong blush

pushchair Tue 11-Nov-08 19:06:13

What about pelvic floor? Will it fall out? grin

Gingeme Tue 11-Nov-08 20:01:56

Not if you got a good pelvic floor lol

asteamedpoater Tue 11-Nov-08 20:06:30

Can they be used if you have a mild prolapse?????.....

Gingeme Tue 11-Nov-08 20:18:00

Don't know but I'm sure someone will be able to son smile

Gingeme Tue 11-Nov-08 20:18:24

soon even blush

charmargot Tue 11-Nov-08 20:26:28

Does anyone cut theirs? It says you can, but can you get it out if shorter?
First 2 days of my period I gush and leak a lot - even when only 1/3 full. Is it 'cos I'm wearing it too high?
Rest of period is great and I do forget I have it. I like the ease of it and seeing the cup full!
I'm a skinflint and hate waste so will never go back to tampons, but advice please on making it leak less.

Gingeme Tue 11-Nov-08 20:31:13

I cut mine almost down to nothing as it rubbed just inside which is what I hated about tampons the cold dangly string!
Have you got the right size cup? Might be worth buying another one in the other size and trying that. Just a thought. I'm no expert. Like I say Ive only used mine once smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now