Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Constant burning sensation down below

(9 Posts)
Emberfirefly Tue 18-Oct-16 15:01:09

I'm currently waiting for an appointment with a uro-gynaecologist but would really value any insight from other people if you have had similar experiences. I'm not unduly worried as this has been going on for 3 months now and hasn't actually got worse (although not got better either) and my GP tells me there are no 'red flags'. It all started when I had what I thought might be a bladder infection, had pelvic pain, burning when passing urine etc. Had a short course of antibiotics and it got a bit better but the stinging sensation down below didn't resolve. I can pass urine without any pain but have a constant stinging/burning sensation that feels like it comes from my urethra. Nothing seems to trigger it or make it better, have tried cutting out all alcohol, caffeine etc to no avail. I had a pelvic scan which showed pelvic adhesions, some endometriosis, uterine fibroids and varicose veins of the uterus. My GP seems to be unable to tell me if any of these could be contributing to my symptoms (hence referral to gynae). The adhesions are from pelvic surgery but haven't been particularly problematic, had no idea I had endometriosis and didn't even know that what show up on a scan. I should mention that all swabs for infections have been clear and I've been told my cervix looks healthy and last smear a year ago was fine. Urine sample from lab also came back clear. Anyone else with any of the above problems had similar symptoms? It's starting to drive me crazy, I just feel so sore down there (not sore to touch at all though) and the stinging is making me so uncomfortable. I'm starting to worry I'm going to be told it's all in my mind which would be awful as I am sick of feeling so uncomfortable! Any advice or similar stories would be very much appreciated. Sorry for long post.

hedwig2001 Tue 18-Oct-16 15:17:02

Does it extend to include the inner part of your labia? If so might be lichen sclerosis. Gets treated with steroid cream. Gynae will be able to diagnose it.

Emberfirefly Tue 18-Oct-16 15:26:30

Thanks hedwig, my GP actually specifically looked for that as my Mum suffered for years with it so I asked her to check and she said everything looks normal and no sign of it, she gave me some steroid cream anyway to try while waiting g to see Gynae but it's not helped. Thanks anyway x

Tanfastic Tue 18-Oct-16 16:31:12

Ember, have you seen my thread in health? I had something very similar back in July/August. Had what I thought was a urine infection, same symptoms as you, three lots of antibiotics (which helped) but the burning/pulsating feeling in my urethra remained, almost like it was inflamed or bruised. I had microscopic blood in my urine though as well according to the dipstick tests at the doctors. Don't think I have now and the "infection" just gradually went on its own in the end over a number of weeks.

I have has the same as you, lots of vaginal swabs etc to rule out anything else and I've now been referred for a camera up my bladder next week. Urologist says he's not worried about anything and I feel absolutely fine now.

Emberfirefly Tue 18-Oct-16 17:04:25

Thanks Tan I will have a look at your thread! I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better now, that gives me a lot of hope! I had blood and protein in my first lot of urine and then just blood (microscopic) in the second, apparently the MSU was completely clear. I'm off to look at your thread now - thanks for your reply.

Tanfastic Tue 18-Oct-16 17:55:19

How old are you Ember? I've read a lot about bladder problems. Seem to start in women around the forties/fifties. I'm 43 and never had any issues before now confused

Emberfirefly Tue 18-Oct-16 18:09:47

I'm 37 but have had quite a bit of pelvic surgery and the scan i had suggested I have pelvic adhesions (makes sense as I often get bouts of unexplained pelvic pain) so I was thinking that it may be related to that or as you say age and perhaps hormones? It's miserable isn't it? I would live nothing more than to wake up one morning and not to feel like I'm burning!

Tanfastic Tue 18-Oct-16 19:48:41

I know, it is miserable. I spent over two months this summer being bloody miserable with it.

I tried everything to get rid of it, the only thing that seemed to help (although might have been a coincidence) was that I stopped using products of any description down below. I was terrible for lathering up down there and spraying, talc etc. Since I stopped it has gone. I only use water now.

Now as I say might just be coincidence but my doctor nearly had a fit when I told her what I had been using.

sadie9 Tue 18-Oct-16 19:56:32

If you take baths, stop taking baths and only take showers for 2 weeks and see if that helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now