Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Siestas at work

(33 Posts)
Outnumbrd Wed 10-Aug-16 21:44:04

I recently had a few months off from my normal job and got into having siestas, even if I put my head down for 30 mins it made all the difference to my energy and mood later. I am now back at work in a demanding job. I have an hour for work am always starving so eat loads then feel rubbish for the rest of the day. I actually think I am not really that hungry but actually tired in my lunch break. I really want to find some way/somewher to take a nap and thdn just have a light snack. Any ideas?

chocoLit Wed 10-Aug-16 21:45:10

Car?

ecuse Wed 10-Aug-16 21:50:48

I sometimes have a disco nap on the toilet blush

Lilaclily Wed 10-Aug-16 21:51:27

Car definitely

CleanKingdom Wed 10-Aug-16 22:00:50

Car would be number 1 choice, if you don't drive in them perhaps a quiet lockable room (like the loo! Especially if they're individual rooms like disabled toilets).

StuffandBother Wed 10-Aug-16 22:02:45

A 'Disco Nap!!' I bladdy love that!

Outnumbrd Thu 11-Aug-16 12:35:19

Meant to say an hour for lunch!

Outnumbrd Thu 11-Aug-16 12:38:14

Disco nap?! How on earth do you nap on the toilet hmm I'm thinking about the prayer room, but don't want to disturb anyone with my snoring! I think this would be an acceptable place to re-charge wouldn't it? I'm sure people go there to meditate and reflect.

Outnumbrd Thu 11-Aug-16 12:38:58

And I don't drive to work so car is out!

Cliffdiver Thu 11-Aug-16 12:41:34

What's a disco nap?!

CleanKingdom Thu 11-Aug-16 17:01:24

If I was meditating (or praying), it requires total relaxation and serenity. I think it would be really disturbing and disrespectful to snore in there - considering that's it's purpose.

Outnumbrd Thu 11-Aug-16 18:20:35

Really Clean? Surely some people do drop asleep whilst praying/ meditating. I may not snore but there's no guarantee. I can't think of any other option, there are no other quiet areas where it would be acceptable and I'm starting to think this is essential to my life.

Outnumbrd Thu 11-Aug-16 18:23:37

I think sleeping in the disabled toilet would be more disrespectful, like what if someone who is actually disabled needs the loo and I'm snoring in there? Don't know how I could sleep on a toilet anyway. How would you make it comfortable and without hazards like falling off, waking up with your head on the sanitary bin?! confused

Outnumbrd Thu 11-Aug-16 18:26:19

ecuse What is a disco nap?

Redglitter Thu 11-Aug-16 18:28:05

One of my colleagues dies this. She brings in a big blanket and goes to the doctors room and sleeps on the bed in there. She swears by it

juneau Thu 11-Aug-16 18:30:50

Would your boss/colleagues be okay with this, do you think? I haven't worked anywhere where going to sleep at work would be acceptable, but maybe you work in a more laid back place than I ever did.

LyndaNotLinda Thu 11-Aug-16 18:31:08

A disco nap is a 20-30 min nap before you go out for the evening - same as a power nap really.

I used to nap in the loo Out - just close the lid and lean back against the cistern in a really quiet loo on a random floor (my office was very male dominated). Our loos were spotless though so I guess it depends where you work

Outnumbrd Thu 11-Aug-16 18:39:12

Juneau Yes the hour is yours, people do anything, shopping, pub lunch, whatever. I don't think the toilet would work for me as I think actually letting your spongy discs in your back expand again by lying down relieves tiredness. Probably not the most technical way to describe it but I learnt this when studying Alsxander Technique.

LyndaNotLinda Thu 11-Aug-16 19:01:59

Yes, I'm sure it does but needs must - I wasn't going to lie on the floor under the desk grin

Do you drive to work? Could you crash out in the back seat for 30 mins instead?

ShelaghTurner Thu 11-Aug-16 19:07:28

I got into this habit when I was pregnant both times. I would either go out to the car for my hour lunch break or if really desperate I would lie down on the disabled loo floor for 5 mins. I had a special big cardigan to lay out on the floor and everything! It really helped and was the only thing that got me through some days.

It should be pointed out that, due to the nature of my workplace, every loo was a disabled loo and there were loads of them.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Thu 11-Aug-16 19:34:18

If you took a yoga mat into the meditation/prayer room and did yoga relaxation breathing followed by deep meditation (sleep), that would probably be ok, wouldn't it?

Outnumbrd Thu 11-Aug-16 19:37:19

No I'm in central London so no car! Our staff loos are quite big, I might take the Yoga mat in there. Black exactly my thinking, deep meditation on a Yoga mat in the prayer room drifting quickly into sleep.

littleducks Thu 11-Aug-16 19:41:42

Think prayer room better than toilet floor

ecuse Thu 11-Aug-16 21:01:16

Yes, disco nap is just a little short nap. I used to do them out clubbing too, in my yoof. Just sit on the toilet, slump sideways, rest head on stall..... blush

Outnumbrd Thu 11-Aug-16 21:11:55

Oh don't think I could do disco nap sober though !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now