Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

vaccine yes or no??????

(256 Posts)
123mon Thu 28-Feb-13 12:53:28

Hi, i would like to know your opinions about vaccine please. I decide to dont let my 3 years old daughter have the vaccine and i was wondering if there are other mums that think the same as me

123mon Fri 01-Mar-13 11:40:30

you can catch the diseases when you are vaccinate, and yes you get most of the ingredients in food and thats why we should watch what we are eating too... and i bet that the case of measels in Wales affeted mostly who had been vaccinated, anyway people as i sayd your free to think and do what is best but accept other people opinions too

Salbertina Fri 01-Mar-13 12:20:49

Medicine needs to be evidence-based not a matter of opinion though.

Blipbip Fri 01-Mar-13 12:36:26

I am not anti vaccine

I do think that a lot of parents would like a bit more help in making the decision (and it is a big decision for some) than "do it or your child will suffer serious side effects from very nasty diseases". The problem with that argument is that most children recover perfectly well from measles mumps and rubella with no side effects at all in exactly the same way as most children have absolutely no problems with the vaccine. Adverse events are a tiny minority on both sides of the fence.

Many parents are very worried about environmental toxins too, that is why they go out of their way to find products (shampoo, deodorants, moisturisers and household cleaning products) that are free from potentially harmful ingredients. That is why they buy and grow organic food and don't eat food such as tuna. It is not possible to avoid toxins completely but it is possible to reduce them in many instances.

It is hard to make rational choices when there is obviously so much emotion on each side. OP you need to do as much research as possible but this is a volatile subject to start on MN.

Personally I need to know both sides before I make a choice and the more I'm told to just follow advice the more I'm inclined to dig my heals in. Take your time, nothing bad will happen if you delay the vaccine by a week or so while you do your research. Talk rationally to your GP, I got some very good, non biased, advice from mine.

I have made my choices in this regard- I made it based on the evidence I could find, discussions that I had and also knowing my children and what was best for them as indeviduals. I'm perfectly comfortable with the choices that I have made. Some would agree with me others would disagree, that's just the way things are.

123mon Fri 01-Mar-13 13:24:25

yeah i agree that parents need help sometimes to make some decisions, i did also, i didn't have a clue before to what was going on, and thats why i wrote a topic about it ,to see if other people had the same opinion as me. We live in a strange world where we need to becareful because not everyone is good and we dont know whats going on. I didn't want to upset people i just like to make people understand that there are other options in life

Trazzletoes Fri 01-Mar-13 13:27:20

OP you still haven't mentioned what side effects you are anxious about. You have just posted a list of ingredients.

In all honesty, if it was just your child that this involved, it wouldn't bother me. If you are happy for your child to risk these illnesses, that's fine with me. Incidentally, my earliest memory is from when I was 3 and had measles. I remember feeling absolutely terrible and I just had it normally and recovered fine, thank goodness.

But making a decision based on some Internet research which you have no idea about its reliability is frankly irresponsible. Especially when your own child's life and long-term health is at risk, as well as other people's who would love to be vaccinated but have to rely on herd immunity.

Do some proper research, please, and speak to properly qualified health professionals about your concerns.

bruffin Fri 01-Mar-13 13:43:20

I gave a link to the IOM. It shows the risks of the diseases and also evaluates the risks of the vaccines.

Here is another good link on how vaccines work

Workshop on aluminium in vaccines

bruffin Fri 01-Mar-13 13:55:00
123mon Fri 01-Mar-13 15:06:42

im glad that there are other people out there who think differentely

bruffin Fri 01-Mar-13 15:16:56

Think differently to what exactly?

123mon Fri 01-Mar-13 16:08:40

to not vaccine the children....

Tallgiraffe Fri 01-Mar-13 19:08:09

Actually, you should be glad that the rest of us do vaccinate our children as by doing so the level of herd immunity increases, so the number of cases in the population remain at a low level, therefore reducing the risk to your unvaccinated child.

Please do not make this decision based on scaremongering Internet sites but speak to your doctor.

123mon Fri 01-Mar-13 21:12:39

i didn't make my decision looking in internet but talking to people who knows more than me, then i looked on the internet everywhere and at the end i made my decision. I also find out that in some cases the vaccine doesnt even work....

Trazzletoes Fri 01-Mar-13 22:37:58

123 what percentage of mmr vaccines don't work?

bakingaddict Fri 01-Mar-13 23:12:33

I always astounded people come onto forums like this and have to ask random strangers to validate such monumental decisions as to whether to vaccinate a child or not. Why leave decisions on your children's health to complete strangers who at best may lack the credentials to adequately appraise the situation and worst may be barking mad, why is it not possible to reasonably decide the benefits/or not of vaccination yourself.

You are free to make any choice, you can doubt the conventional wisdom of an established medical practice and give in to ill conceived, unfounded predujices surrounding vaccination but at least have the courage of your own conviction rather than trying to ignite an already inflamed topic

sashh Sat 02-Mar-13 04:45:44

to not vaccine the children....

I'm terrified of your attitude. It is selfish and ill informed.

I was born before MMR.

When my mum was pregnant with me she visited her cousin and played with cousin's toddler.

The following day the toddler was ill and the doctor confirmed rubella. My mum's cousin went into hysterics, not for her child but for my mum.

My mum had to have gamma globulin injections and just hope that her baby wouldn't be born deaf and blind.

We don't live in a world where a woman has to live for 7 months carrying a baby not knowing if it will be deaf and or blind. We don't live in a world where a woman will burst into tears and start shaking because her child may have caused an unborn child to become disabled.

People like you will put us back in that world.

If a child gets a bacterial infection you can cure them with antibiotics. The diseases we vaccinate again are mostly viruses. That means there is no cure. Your child is on their own. Their symptoms can be treated but it is up to the child's immune system to fight the disease.

bruffin Sat 02-Mar-13 08:28:19

Dr Sears tells those who don't vaccinate to keep stumm about it. That you shouldn't encourage others not to vaccinate because their child needs to be protected by herd immunity hmm
Must break the hypocratic oath on so many levels

However it does make you wonder why if you decide to not vaccinate you would be pleased by others making the same decision.
If you don't vaccinate because you believe your dc immune system can't handle it then they sure as hell can't handle the onslaught of the real disease and need the protection of others.
If you don't vaccinate because you feel the disease is rare. Its now only rare because others vaccinate and if everyone made the decision then it wouldn't be rare anymore and you've shot yourself in the foot.
If you don't vaccinate because of the ingredients then you haven't done your homework properly or relying on quack websites.
What ever the reason trying to persuade others not vaccinate to validate your own reasons is very foolish.

Tallgiraffe Sat 02-Mar-13 08:47:02

i didn't make my decision looking in internet but talking to people who knows more than me

What qualifications did these people have? What qualified them to persuade you to make such a decision? I ask as between us, my husband and I have 5 medical / scientific degrees so feel fairly confident in our abilities to explain the science of why you should vaccinate.

Tallgiraffe Sat 02-Mar-13 08:50:14

Bruffin - that Dr Sears statement is really terrifying and shocking sad Can't believe he could say such a stupid thing, I agree it must break the oath.

beautifulgirls Sat 02-Mar-13 09:12:47

If in the future your child is lying ill in hospital fighting for their life and you could have vaccinated your child against the very thing they are now affected by how will you feel? Don't assume it won't happen to your child - yes the risk is small that it will happen but the risks of giving the vaccines are smaller.

I have sat by my child in intensive care and prayed she would live. The infection she had couldn't be vaccinated for but you can bet your life I would be first in the queue for a vaccine if it ever became available. I am lucky, she is still here but ended up with life changing problems. Prior to this she was a normal healthy toddler with no reason to believe she would be the one in 100,000 that would be affected. Like I said, don't assume it won't be your child.

123mon Sat 02-Mar-13 10:25:41

im not try to convince people to do anythink as i saiyd we are free to do what we think is best, and at the beginning to share your opinions and to see if there were other mums that not vax the kids, so people stop saiyng that im trying to convince others

bruffin Sat 02-Mar-13 10:36:29

You said it was good others thought the way you do.

bruffin Sat 02-Mar-13 10:42:38

You came on this board saying have you seen the ingredients in vaccines shock horror.
What was the point of you posting in the first place if it wasn't to warn others what dreadful things vaccines are.

bruffin Sat 02-Mar-13 10:44:40

You asked for peoples opinion then completely ignored them. Have you even bothered to read any of my links particularly the IOM one.

123mon Sat 02-Mar-13 10:52:21

yes i said it was good to see that ther were other mums out there thinking the same as me ,wich means i am not the only one..... and i answer a question to someone asking me why so i said about the ingredients.... so i didn't post that in the first place infact my first question was if there were other mums thinking the same as me..... and also repeted that we are all free to make our decisions and it would be nice respect others that dont think like us

123mon Sat 02-Mar-13 10:55:26

i read every think and i respect every one i didnt ignore anyone i just read your post i dont need to argue to people

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now