Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pt 7 (Feb13) Any old prolapse! Uterus/womb prolapse, rectocele, cystocele, enterocele, urethrocele, incontinence, pelvic floor, anterior and posterior repair, TVT etc

(993 Posts)

This is thread 7 (again - see below) of a long-running series of posts from ladies suffering from pelvic prolapses to support each other through the process of diagnosis, repair and recovery.

With apologies for confusion in thread numbers - the previous thread was called part 7 but it was actually the 6th thread.

Here are the previous threads:

Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3
Thread 4
Thread 5
Thread 6

Info from BBC Health

What is a pelvic prolapse?

As the muscles, ligaments and supporting tissues in the pelvis become weaker, they are less able to hold in the organs of the pelvis such as the womb (uterus) or bladder.

Gravity pulls these organs down and, in the more severe cases, may appear through the entrance to the vagina.

A variety of problems can occur, depending on where the weakness lies and which organs are able to descend, but in every case there is some degree of prolapse of the vaginal wall, which begins to invert (rather like a sock turning inside out).
Prolapse of the womb or uterus is the most common prolapse, affecting as many as one in eight older women to some degree
Prolapse of the bladder, known as a cystocele, is less common.
Prolapse of the urethra (the tube that carries urine out of the bladder) is known as a urethrocele.
Prolapse of the intestines is quite rare, and known as an enterocele or rectocele.

Symptoms

Symptoms depend on which tissues descend, and how severe the prolapse is.

They may include:
A sense of heaviness or pressure in the pelvis.
The appearance of a bulge of tissue in the genital area, which can be quite alarming, and is often red and sore.
Urinary problems, such as having to urinate more frequently, feeling the need urgently, being incontinent (losing control of the bladder) or, conversely, being unable to pass urine when you need to.
Pain in the pelvis or lower back.
Sexual problems, including pain and decreased libido.
Constipation.
Vaginal discharge or bleeding.

Treatment and recovery

Once a prolapse has developed, surgery to fix the affected organs is usually the only way to cure it effectively.

However, another option is to use a device known as a vaginal ring pessary. This is rather like a contraceptive diaphragm or cervical cap. It's made of silicone or latex, and placed in the vagina to push back the prolapsed organs and hold them in place. Many women happily manage their prolapse this way.

mrsclairet Mon 20-May-13 15:03:27

Hi, just thought I would let you know I feel a lot happier after going to my pre-op. I still feel really nervous but I am a lot more confident that they know what they're doing and have got my best interests at heart. The nurse said that my consultant is fantastic and was generally quite positive about things.I was nervous about having the catheter but she said you won't really feel it and won't feel the need to wee which I hope is true as I usually feel like I need a wee all the time! Just two more days to wait now!!

kotinka Mon 20-May-13 16:57:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrsclairet Tue 21-May-13 07:46:03

Hi, I have got a spare minute so I thought I would share what the nurse told me incase it helps anybody. She told me I will have to wear stockings (I think as I am on the pill it increases the risk of DVT). She said I have got to wash in octenisan before and on the day of the operation which I had to go and buy from the chemist. At 2 weeks it is normal to get a slight increase in blood loss but not heavy and blood loss can last for up to 6 weeks. She said if there are any problems afterwards to ring the ward, not to go to the GP. Also one thing I wouldn't have even thought was on the day of the operation not to wear any deodorant or make up (I don't really wear make up normally but would have put deodorant on!)

I am going to try and keep really busy today and tomorrow, am going to see my little niece today which I am looking forward to.

kotinka Tue 21-May-13 10:32:21

No nail varnish on fingers or toes either.

Tr0ubled Tue 21-May-13 21:33:53

Mrsclairet wishing you all the best for Thursday. Don't worry about the catheter, you'll hardly notice it and will be relieved not to have to get out of bed for a wee. I had mine in for 36 hrs, along with the packing, and took advantage of just being able to rest.

kotinka that's a really positive sign that you want sex!! Took me about 10 weeks to even think about it, let alone try it.

I'm now 11 and a half weeks post cystocele, rectocele, entrocele, perineum repair and hemorrhoidectomy. The good news is that everything bar my perineum repair is now pain free, however sadly my perenium is painful enough for the rest of it. It hurts all the time, and painkillers don't really help at all. I'm living with it but that's not how I want to be sad. The problem is I now have so much scar tissue down there, from my episiotomy then a revised episiotomy and now the repair that its all gone into spasm. Anyone else had a perenium repair? Would be good to know about the recovery.

kotinka Tue 21-May-13 23:26:42

mrsclairet Wed 22-May-13 13:35:38

Hi, I've got my operation tomorrow and I know I have left it a bit late but I didn't know if I should ask the consultant (if I see him) to remove a skin tag (heamorrhoid) I've got on my bottom at the same time? He didn't actually examine me at my initial consultation and I forgot to ask or do you think I should just leave it?

kotinka Wed 22-May-13 13:42:30

Same here, I'd ask, they do come round and see you before you go down to theatre. Don't ask don't get! Hope it all goes well tomorrow.

mrsclairet Wed 22-May-13 21:57:17

Thanks, I have really struggled to get through today without bursting into tears, it's been a long day! I just can't wait now to get it over and done with. I will let you know how I get on!

Tr0ubled Wed 22-May-13 22:43:38

mrsclairet I had one of those too and my UroGynae surgeon wouldn't touch it. He referred me instead to a colorectal surgeon who then removed it at the same time as the rest of my surgery along with an anal fissure and 2 hemorrhoids. Ouch!

kotinka I don't think it's gone wrong, just taking a long time to heal. I saw a womans physio who concluded that over the years my perenium has had a lot of trauma and may well take up to 9 months to settle after this latest assault. The scar itself is fine, it's the tissue to one side of it over my old episiotomy scar that is hard and in spasm. The pain runs all the way down my inner thigh. The physio has given me some excercises to do and also taught me some trigger point massage - I'll add that one to my list of embarrassing procedures!!

kotinka Thu 23-May-13 01:44:39

kotinka Thu 23-May-13 10:16:23

mrsclairet Fri 24-May-13 20:09:27

Hi I am feeling really down today, had the op yesterday but still in loads of pain, still had morphine today and I can't wee so the catheter has gone back in but that is really hurting too. They have tested my urine and said there's no infection and that I might have to have the catheter in for a week but I don't think I can bear this pain for a week. I just feel like crying.

Oh no MrsC <hugs>. I hope things settle down quickly and you feel better soon.

Tr0ubled Fri 24-May-13 23:35:13

Hugs from me too Mrsclairet. I was never given the option of morphine but instead had Diclofenac, Tramadol and paracetamol. Maybe it's worth asking for something different? It could be that the morphing doesn't suit you as I'm sure you shouldn't be in so much pain from the catheter.

mrsclairet Sun 26-May-13 11:38:41

This thread seems really quiet....I am feeling quite upset today, I still can't wee or poo. It's been 5 hours since my last wee, they keep saying not to stress about it but that's easier said than done.

Bladderific Mon 27-May-13 12:03:52

Big unMN hugs MrsC that sounds awful, please phone your Gynae ward and talk to them about your bladder trouble that doesn't sound right sad So sorry that you are feeling low, this type of surgery is very draining and I think that we have all had very weepy days afterwards. Keep posting x

Troubled, I had very similar surgery to you the first time and it took 4 months for me to be able to sit comfortably again for any length of time but it does get better, 11 and a half weeks is very soon for extensive repairs and I was quite wobbly at that time too. I found that salt baths helped a lot for the perineal area.

For those recovering hang in there, I am now 4 months post second lot of surgery and am now totally pain free. My body has finally healed and feels amazing, I am so pleased with the results and glad that I had the surgery.

Nanaslyv good luck with the investigations, what a long journey this has been for you.

Roseanna how is the new TVT settling? and so sorry to hear about surgery number 6.

mrsclairet Mon 27-May-13 13:07:50

Hello, I am finally home from hospital. After a catheter having to be put in twice I have got a UTI and haven't done a poo for 5 days so am feeling SO uncomfortable. Every time I go to the toilet it feels like my insides are going to fall out! But it is nice to be home, I wish I had come off the morphine a bit sooner in hospital as I think that has caused me the constipation problems. But now I am home I am going to do a bit of retail therapy on the internet, yey!

I think the operation went well but I was sick in hospital a couple of times due to the morphine and I am a bit worried that combined with the constipation it might cause some damage. My husband bought me some prune juice today so I think I will go and have a bit of that now!

Dahlialover Mon 27-May-13 14:25:13

Don't forget movicol, gycerine suppositories and drinking plenty of water, Mrs C. Hope you feel better soon but don't forget to rest horizontally each time you do something (eg take a shower).

Sorry you had such a bad time with the catheter - the woman in the room next to me had similar.

Hi MrsC - glad you are home, hope the pooing sorts itself out quickly. It was about 4 days post-op before I managed anything IIRC amd it was a relief afterwards. As for the retail therapy, good idea! I had my op at the end of Sept and did the entire Christmas shopping from the comfort of my bed, got it finished far earlier than I usually manage.

Bladder - good to hear from you, can't believe it's 4 months already, glad your recovery is complete.

Tr0ubled Mon 27-May-13 16:54:25

mrsc glad you're finally home and have an explanation for the weeing pain and problems, hope the uti clears up quickly for you. Are you taking more than prune juice for your constipation? 12 weeks on I am still taking a Movicol everyday. For the first month though I was having 2 sachets a day plus prune juice and only having one solid meal a day, breakfast was cereal and lunch soup. I also had severe difficulties going in the first few days and was given dulcolax at bedtime which finally got things moving. They are available to buy but be warned although they're effective they also gave me nasty tummy cramps. However the relief I felt from going outweighed the cramps!

bladder thanks for your comments, it's reassuring. Sadly I am having to resort to splinting again (despite the Movicol) and am so sad to think this may not have worked at all. Plus when I'm splinting I'm sure I can feel the cystocele is back again too. Can't believe my luck sad
I've got my second physio session this week and she has warned me that it will involve an internal so I will see if she can feel the prolapses.
On a very positive note though I have managed to DTD!!! Despite a little pulling on my perenium and having to shift a bit to avoid the anterior wall scar it wasn't painful at all, infact it was pretty pleasurable wink

mrsclairet Mon 27-May-13 21:03:51

Thanks troubled, dahlialover and whoknowswherethetimegoes.

Bladderific it's great to hear you are feeling so much better and troubled that's great you dtd!

I just feel so fed up of the pain, the UTI has been causing me pain and tonight as it is day 5 with no poo my husband said why don't you go and try and so I pushed quite hard and screamed as it felt like I was having a baby and nothing came out (sorry for TMI) and now I am worried that I have done some damage.

They gave me a bit of lactulose in hospital and at home I am now taking fibogel but I think the trouble is they gave me loads of morphine in hospital. I had one doctor come in on day 4 and say WHY is she still on MORPHiNE? If nothing happens tomorrow I think I will have to get a suppository but want to leave that as a last resort, I hate sticking things up myself! I feel so embarassed saying all this but I know I have spent many hours reading this thread before my operation so at least it helps to give people an idea of what to expect (although I don't expect it's this bad for everyone!!)

Day 6 tomorrow, am so glad the operation is over but just can't wait to be rid of this pain!

fengirl1 Mon 27-May-13 21:12:17

I just popped back on to the thread to see how everyone is, (some of you may remember me!) but Mrsclairet, DO get some glycerine suppositories and use them! I had an awful birth-like experience and wouldn't wish it on anyone. And seriously, if it doesn't help, consider getting a district nurse to give you an enema. Not what you want to hear I'm sure but it sounds like you have enough to deal with as it is. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now