Help! Impressive pud to take to friends' dinner party...

(85 Posts)
YoniOno Thu 25-Apr-13 21:13:52

... I only just remembered we're meant to be bringing pudding, which means going out tomorrow morning to get ingredients and making it during DS' nap [panic]

Any fail safe, idiot proof stunners?

YoniOno Sat 27-Apr-13 13:07:36

Final update: everyone loved the tiramisu! It was demolished and much praised.

I swear some people on MN just look for arguments... it's a pudding thread ffs <leaves own thread>

This is from an Irish hotel (The Cliff House in Waterford) we visited once - the chef had a cook-book out, so I bought one.

You could prep the rhubarb at home and then it's just a matter of chucking the pastry on and into the oven about 15 mins or so before you want to eat it.

Ingredients:
1 sheet of puff pastry
5 medium sized pears, peeled, cored & quartered
200g sugar mixed with seeds of 1/2 a vanilla pod, and 1/2tsp each of ground nutmeg & cardamom (probably would double this if using rhubarb)
50g butter
70ml water
zest of 1 lemon (you won't need that with the rhubarb!)
Non-stick, oven-proof 24cm frying pan

Pre-heat oven to 175C
Add the sugar mix and water to the pan
Dissolve on a medium heat and then let it come to the point of caramelisation
Add the butter and the pears and soften them slowly on a low heat, turning so they are cooked on both sides
Finish with pears round side down and evenly arranges
Cover with the pastry and press and mould it tight
Bake until crust is light brown and crisp
Remove from oven and place serving dish on top of the pan/pie
Turn it out
Cut and serve with vanilla ice cream and a glass of Baileys.

HeadFairy Fri 26-Apr-13 21:38:25

yeah, thought so about soggyness. Not good. Mind you, a tarte tatin doesn't take that long, I could probably do it Sunday morning.

The pastry might get a bit soggy if you do it the night before - I've got a fairly easy recipe for a pear tatin I'll see if I can look out - should be fairly transferable.

HeadFairy Fri 26-Apr-13 21:23:13

It would need to be really sweet... need the caramelisation.

Do you think I could cook tarte tatin the night before? I've got to cook it at my house and take it to my sister's so thought I might do it on Saturday night.

Mintyy Fri 26-Apr-13 21:01:23

Reckon you could HF.

HeadFairy Fri 26-Apr-13 20:52:18

I like the idea of a tarte tatin, I've got lots of puff pastry in the freezer already, but it does feel like it should be an autumn-y type pud... when apples are at their best.

Could I do a rhubarb tarte tatin?

Mintyy Fri 26-Apr-13 20:47:02

Heh heh! This thread is now reminding me of when Dh was trying to impress me with his cooking when we were first together.

I went round to his flat one night and he served me a fairly decent chicken and mushroom risotto, followed by

rice pudding!

We still chortle at that one now grin

P.S. I didn't think LucJam's post was in the slightest bit rude. It is interesting how we read things, isn't it?

Roseformeplease Fri 26-Apr-13 19:34:46

Anyone offer up a foolproof tarte tatin recipe? Really fancy making one.

HeadFairy Fri 26-Apr-13 19:27:35

Blimey, now I've gone through this thread... <ahem> some lovely ideas on here..

We're having lasagne, so what does everyone suggest for pud? I like the pavlova for sheer ease

HeadFairy Fri 26-Apr-13 18:39:52

Oooh marking my place, I've got to do pud for 12 on Sunday and I need inspiration!

smile

Chocolate fondue with marshmallows, pineapple chunks and cheese-cubes.

ExcuseTypos Fri 26-Apr-13 18:10:31

Or how about a cheesecake, that would be lovely with after a fondue.

<I'm on a -cheese-- roll now>

ExcuseTypos Fri 26-Apr-13 18:03:39

OP, why not take a cheeseboard too, in case there isn't enough cheese?

Is that the kind of "helpful" remark you're after?

I think the only person who has turned aggressive on this thread is the op herself, for absolutely no reason at all!

" Thanks for that helpful post lucjam hmm *I'm glad you posted.*"

" Woah. Thanks all for ideas, apologies if I'm not cooking the one you suggested - no need to get affronted. "

And finally:

"What do you want me to say Quint? if you're seeking buns to throw, you're on the wrong thread "

I have not thrown buns, I have given you my most favourite recipe.

LittleBearPad Fri 26-Apr-13 17:46:48

They aren't helpful and they're fairly aggressive.

ExcuseTypos Fri 26-Apr-13 17:29:52

lucjam Thu 25-Apr-13 21:30:33
If the main is a fondue no one will thank you for a heavy dessert. I promise you, you want something to cleanse the palate such a fruit or a lemon sorbet maybe with a light shortbread biscuit? Fondue is HEAVY, lovelt but heavy. Peppermint tea after is also nice.

lucjam Thu 25-Apr-13 21:46:20
tiramisu is yet more cheese!!! honestly after fondue its the last thing you want!

In what way are these posts rude?confused

LittleBearPad Fri 26-Apr-13 17:25:45

Lucjam may have thought she was being helpful but her comment was pretty rude in the first place

Wishiwasanheiress Fri 26-Apr-13 17:25:40

Frozen summer fruit with melted white chocolate. Get fruit from frozen aisle in most supermarkets. Use half decent white choc. I like green & blacks personally but most work!

Just take frozen fruit out of the freezer about hour before, melt white choc over a ban Marie (over a pan of water). Pour melted white choc over softly frosty fruit. Eat. Bang easy!

That's from j sheekey fish restaurant London. Charged a small fortune for it but knocks people over every time. My fail safe desert!

ExcuseTypos Fri 26-Apr-13 17:19:23

I don't think * Quint* is looking for a bun fight. She's just trying to point out how rude you were to lucjam.

And lucjam did post something helpful, you just chose to ignore it, which is your prerogative. Doesn't mean you should be rude though.

zzzzz Fri 26-Apr-13 17:16:13

I don't think the too much cheese concept was trying to be rude. Fondue isn't the easiest thing to follow. They have a choice of pudd and you like tiramisu and have gone to some trouble to make it. All good.

Some lovely ideas on this thread, now I feel hungry!

YoniOno Fri 26-Apr-13 17:08:52

Update: the components I tasted were all yummy. It's this one - apparently to be authentic it should have egg in it, but that looked much harder so stuck to this.

What do you want me to say Quint? confused if you're seeking buns to throw, you're on the wrong thread - this one's full of cheese.

The poster I was curt to didn't actually post anything useful, if you care to recap...

LittleBearPad Fri 26-Apr-13 14:09:22

Guess we read things differently

She got suggestions, not critiques, and none of them were rude.

LittleBearPad Fri 26-Apr-13 13:36:40

The OP asked for suggestions. She didn't ask for critiques of her choices

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now