NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Does anyone have a ginger loaf cake recipe?

(12 Posts)
PurplePidjin Wed 14-Nov-12 08:57:16
PurplePidjin Wed 14-Nov-12 08:56:11

Jamaican-born MIL put me onto Levi Roots recipe for ginger cake and it's fantastic grin

2 ticks while i google for the link (it's a .pdf)

Drladybird Wed 14-Nov-12 08:46:06

I made the gingerbread loaf from nigella's christmas book last night. It is easy, moist and very yummy. Would recommend it.

dawntigga Tue 13-Nov-12 10:12:03

Ooooohh 2 minds with a single wonderful thought I posted this www.mumsnet.com/Talk/baking/1603218-Jamaica-Ginger-Cake-recipe in baking come join in!

HmmmGingerCakeTiggaxx

CheshireDing Tue 13-Nov-12 05:41:28

Made the Helens Bakes one last night, it was a bit more complicated than I am used to but probably the most successful so far! Bit too spicy though so might have to back down on the 5 spices a bit.

CheshireDing Fri 02-Nov-12 05:45:21

Well the report so far is that DH and I ate half of the one Whin posted a link too and the bloody dog ate the other half whilst the cupboard door was open and I was in the garage!

He seemed quite happy with it grin too

jammiecat Thu 01-Nov-12 23:12:30

It's such a hardship to have to make and taste cakes isn't it, and all in the name of research of course to find the best recipe wink. I'll be interested to know what you think as I shall probably give that one a go next week some time.

CheshireDing Thu 01-Nov-12 19:29:54

Well Tried Whin which was an improvement, it tasted of ginger and was definitely better than my previous attempts ! I will try it again but with less syrup though next time.

Funnily enough my Mum has said today that she always doubles the ginger from receipes too.

I will try this one too Jammie and report back grin

jammiecat Thu 01-Nov-12 08:51:44

Sorry, this time with a proper link: helenbakes.wordpress.com/2012/07/07/gingerbread-loaf/

jammiecat Thu 01-Nov-12 08:50:17

On my list to make is this one: http://helenbakes.wordpress.com/2012/07/07/gingerbread-loaf/

As I haven't made it yet I can't recommend it yet but looks good to me.

WhinGin Tue 30-Oct-12 21:53:26

This isn't a loaf cake but is a really yummy moist ginger cake. Very unusual recipe with the half pt or so of hot water in but it works. I usually double the ginger though. Its great in squares in lunchboxes etc but equally good hot with custard as pudding.

CheshireDing Tue 30-Oct-12 19:46:14

I want a nice moist loaf but first time I tried it I ended up with ginger biscuits (very hard ginger biscuits)!. The second time I ended up with taste dough really.

I am usually pretty good at a basic sponge, which is what I though this would be (with ginger) but it's not working sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now