Jamaica Ginger Cake recipe

(24 Posts)
dawntigga Sat 03-Nov-12 11:41:35

I'm looking for a good one that's similar to the mcvities so sticky top etc.

WillBeEternallyGratefulAndAHeroToTheCubAndMrTiggaTiggaxx

wem Sun 04-Nov-12 09:11:34

David Herbert's ginger cake - at the bottom of the page

It's brilliant, and very easy smile

bunjies Sun 04-Nov-12 09:46:26

Those both sound yum. As the weather is so grim today I think baking one of these is on the cards. Thanks for asking the question OP.

blue2 Sun 04-Nov-12 09:50:30

Ohhh lovely idea! I've just printed it out and will make it today. Its def. a Ginger Cake Day, today.

The heavens have been open here for hours. Its soooo wet!

blue2 Mon 05-Nov-12 05:50:12

Wem

Thank you VERY much for the recipe. I made the cake yesterday and I served it with fresh pears for pudding. It was delicious!

lolalotta Mon 05-Nov-12 06:44:58

Blue do you have to use fresh ginger for the syrup topping? Thank you!

lolalotta Mon 05-Nov-12 07:01:09

This cake has had FAB reviews: www.food.com/recipe/best-ever-easy-ginger-cake-83505
One of the commenters said it was like the McVities cake if left for a day before eating!!! Will try today and report back!!!! grin

blue2 Mon 05-Nov-12 08:48:39

Lola - I did use fresh ginger, but think it would be fine with a chopped up stem ginger in syrup on the top.

I also think that the cake will probably taste better today.. but there's not much left now... sad

annekins Mon 05-Nov-12 08:52:06

Mmm ginger cake. What promises to be a very long day at work is now feeling even longer cos I WANT GINGER CAKE!! Roll in my baking day on Thursday!

Catsmamma Mon 05-Nov-12 09:00:14

Rachel Allen's Recipe is a firm favourite here!

And yes if you can leave it a day then it just gets stickier and more cakey.... but it's a big ask! It's also amazeballs slathered in butter.

lolalotta Mon 05-Nov-12 13:00:12

Right, "the best ever ginger cake" is out of the oven, have wrapped in foil and now trying to resist cutting in to it!!! Must wait for tomorrow....will get back to you after the taste test!!!

dawntigga Mon 05-Nov-12 15:34:55

I love you guys thanks, will be trying at least one with The Cub on Wednesday when we do out Stollen bites.

IMissMumsnetAsLongAsIAvoidAIBUTiggaxx

lolalotta Tue 06-Nov-12 06:38:30

Oooooooooh, just had a peek at mine and it has gone lovely and sticky on top!!! Looking forward to the taste test later on with a nice cuppa! grin
I can't believe how restrained I have been not cutting into it yet! smile

Ooh might try this, i love jamaican ginger cake smile

lolalotta Tue 06-Nov-12 19:48:28

It was very, very tasty!!!!! Nice and sticky on top too! grin
I halved the recipe BTW and put it into a 1lb loaf tin and baked it for just under an hour. This recipe is deffo a keeper and was very quick to make too, it all got wizzed in the food processor and poured into the tin with a liner. smile

dawntigga Wed 07-Nov-12 12:24:02

trying this in a loaf tin but didn't halve the recipe - there may be clean up later!

TheCubReallyEnjoyedThisTiggaxx

lolalotta Wed 07-Nov-12 12:42:51

If it's a 2lb loaf tin you might be alright!!! grin

lolalotta Wed 07-Nov-12 16:15:06

How did it turn out Dawntigger?

dawntigga Thu 08-Nov-12 10:16:32

It is ok, Morrisons had a bogof on Jamaica ginger cake today and we're having a blind taste testing tonight.

I'm SURE Mr Tigga will be able to taste the difference but I hope he prefers this one.

LookingForwardToTheTastingTiggaxx

dawntigga Fri 09-Nov-12 08:41:39

The verdict is we like it but the treacle was a bit strong so will be playing with the ratios of golden syrup to treacle.

Thank you

LovesItWhenAPlanComesTogetherTiggaxx

lolalotta Fri 09-Nov-12 10:41:34

DawnTigger so glad you liked it, BUTI think I might have found an even better recipe, a moister one that is that bit stickier and has a bit more of a squidge-factor! grin
It's a Nigella recipe that I halved to get it into my 1lb loaft tin and it worked a treat! My partner did a blind taste test last night with half a slice of the best ever ginger cake and half a slice if the Nigella one and he said Nigella came up trumps!!!! smile
I will see if I can find you the link for the recipe!

dawntigga Fri 09-Nov-12 14:24:03

MUST HAVE RECIPE!

ThankYouLottaTiggaxx

lolalotta Fri 09-Nov-12 18:37:26

Tigger, this Nigella sticky ginger cake is the one, my search is over! I halved this and put it in a 1lb tin, and used 1tsp of ground ginger instead of the fresh! I didn't use the cloves either! I baked my for about 50/55 mins....tell me what you think when you get the chance to try it! grin

midori1999 Fri 09-Nov-12 19:12:32

My own gingerbread/ginger cake recipe is:

200g self raising flour
1tsp bicarb
150g soft dark brown sugar
2 eggs
150ml milk
150ml veg or sunflower oil
2 tbsp black treacle (or 1 each of black treacle and 1 of golden syrup)
2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp mixed spice

I usually double the quantities and just chuck it in my mixer and whisk until well mixed then pour into 3 lined 2lb loaf tins and bake at 170 until its cooked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now