Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

psychiatric assessment what does it involve?

(7 Posts)
cagey2 Wed 05-Aug-15 19:20:48

Hi has anyone had a psychiatric assessment in the NHS? What does it involve? THanks in advance.

ArseForElbow Wed 05-Aug-15 19:26:40

Lots of questions about your mental health from teenage years to date and about families mental health and lifestyle questions, mine took around an hour.

msrisotto Wed 05-Aug-15 19:30:09

Yeah that plus what symptoms you are experiencing, when that started, what was going on around that time for you that might have triggered it.

cagey2 Wed 05-Aug-15 19:30:40

OK, thanks. What about rating scales and diagnosing things like Personality Disorder?

djrmrcbhyvf Wed 05-Aug-15 19:31:37

IME a waste of time. Services are too stretched to do very much to help so just get you onto the next person ASAP

djrmrcbhyvf Wed 05-Aug-15 19:38:12

I had the Millon Clinical Multiaxial Inventory but that was an applied psychologist not the psychiatrist. Psychiatric assessments were much more just talking about how you're feeling, for how long etc Depends what it is for I guess ...

msrisotto Wed 05-Aug-15 19:49:35

Not very helpful djrmrcbhyvf, every team and indeed, every clinician who carries out assessments is different. Sorry you didn't find it helpful but the OP might.

It is within the realms of possibility that they could ask you to complete an anxiety or depression scale. PD scales take hours and you need to be trained so aren't commonly used.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now