Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Sertraline advice please

(28 Posts)
hoppy35 Thu 26-Sep-13 22:30:43

Just been prescribed sertraline by my GP and I'm slightly nervous about taking them I don't understand how a tablet can stop me feeling anxious / scared about going out can anyone explain I'm worried about the side effects such as will I still feel in control will I know what I'm doing
What I'd love to hear is that it changed someone's life for the better who was anxious about something as simple as going out for a walk or taking the dc to school normal everyday things

Funnyfishface Sat 05-Oct-13 00:21:23

Sophiedotty - they def dont make me feel alert. Within a couple of hours of taking mine I feel very tired. I sleep well and am ok for work the next day.

Thank you tho. It's obviously different for all of us.

Of course it's early days for me. Only 10days in so I might change to the morning if they start to keep me awake.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sat 05-Oct-13 00:31:36

sophie my GP told me to take them at night, I find that they zonk me out a bit and help me drop off.

funny I replied to your thread when you had just been prescribed, I'm so pleased to see that you're feeling a benefit smile

OP good luck, the first step is the hardest.

Funnyfishface Sat 05-Oct-13 09:28:32

Ali - yes thank you I remember. I had tried citalopram for a year without much success and cannot believe how much better I feel on sertraline.

I switched meds 3 days into starting a new job. And I was terrified of side effects and having to take time off work etc. I have had very minor side effects. Occasional dry mouth and headache.

Sometimes you just have to try things and trust your gp

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now