Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anxious 14 year old

(5 Posts)
Elderflowergranita Thu 22-Aug-13 16:52:53

Anything else going on in his life that could be causing anxiety? Friendship issues, stressed about going back to school?

It's a difficult age. Would he open up to you if there were other worries going on, or is he simply focusing on this health issue? (sorry for all the questions!)

If it's a generalised anxiety it might be worth looking at techniques to lessen these feelings. CBT can work wonders.

Enb76 Thu 22-Aug-13 13:35:57

I imagine he's really anxious about whether the stuff happening to him is normal and frightening himself on google (google is not your friend). I think that if you have a friendly doctor you should book a double session and get your boy to go, without you, and let him talk about the health issues he's worried about. Puberty is a horrible time.

Christo77 Thu 22-Aug-13 13:29:19

No he doesn't .

burberryqueen Thu 22-Aug-13 13:04:19

poor boy, does he smoke weed at all?

Christo77 Thu 22-Aug-13 13:02:56

My 14 year old son has very recently developed symptoms of anxiety .
Tummy aches , aches and pains generally . Loss of appetite , difficulty swallowing because of a lump in his throat etc....
He looks unhappy and worried . He does talk to me and admits theses feelings and even says himself it's anxiety !
He found a lump under his nipple and has just started puberty , despite being reassured by our doctor that it was only hormones and nothing to worry about . This only relieved him for a day . Now he is worrying about feeling ill and that something is wrong with him .
I researched his Internet history and found for the past few days he has been looking up things including being afraid of dying , to chest pain and paranoia !
I have no idea how to help him and would appreciate any advice from anyone out there .
It's so sudden as he has never displayed anything like this before .
Do I try to distract him or talk more about it ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now