5:2 Diet Thread! Number 9, welcoming the new year...

(1000 Posts)
GreenEggsAndNichts Thu 10-Jan-13 00:14:08

The continuing thread for those of us following either the 5:2 diet or the alternate-day fasting diet. Both are two versions of Intermittent Fasting, which you can read more about here.

The 5:2 diet was featured on Horizon in August 2012, and essentially requires you to fast for 2 non-consecutive days per week. The other 5 days, you can eat what you like. Alternate-day fasting is just how it sounds; you fast every other day. By "fasting", we mean that we keep our calorie consumption very low, around 500 calories on average, on those days.

I know a number of people lurk on this thread, as this is currently quite popular. Please just jump in and post if you're new- we won't bite. Well, maybe on a fast day. wink You'll find a lot of support here.

Here is a list of links to get you started with this way of eating. Please let us know if you find a new article or some other information online:

First things first, here are links to some of our previous threads: most recent one before that another one etc!

Another thread which breadandwine has started is a good resource for some of the links and tips that get lost in these big threads. In addition to sharing links, we try to condense some of our top tips for fasting there. Keep in mind, we all do this differently, so these are just tips, not rules. This might be a good place to catch up with us if you're feeling a bit lost!

frenchfancy has a recipe thread over here, please post any low-calorie recipes there so they don't get lost in these bigger threads!

Here is the link to the BBC article regarding Michael Mosley's findings, which was featured on Horizon.

B&W has found a new link to the aforementioned Horizon programme here. If you're keen to see it, watch it soon, because BBC has been quick to find these copies and shut them down online. We're hoping they'll re-play it again soon. I know these threads are popular, maybe they'll read my request. wink

A blog post here gives some of the scientific explanation for why this way of eating helps you to not only lose weight, but improve your all-around health.

A Telegraph article which comments on the diet and gives a brief overview.

A study discussed here gives commentary specifically addressing the effect of this diet on obese people (both men and women), with regard to both health and weight loss. ("After 8 weeks of treatment, participants had an average 12.5 lbs reduction in body weight and a 4 cm decrease in waist circumference. Total fat mass declined by about 12 lbs while lean body mass remained relatively constant.) it also mentions "Plasma adiponectin, a protein hormone that is elevated in obesity and associated with heart disease, dropped by 30%. As did LDL cholesterol (25%) and triglycerides (32%).")

Important link if you are currently your ideal BMI: this appears to suggest the benefits for women at a lower BMI might not be seeing the same health benefits that are found on men at their ideal BMI.

And for those already fasting, here is a link to 100 snacks under 100 calories. We tend to favour lots of hot drinks during the day (count your milk if you use it!)

Another food link, here is a link to the BBC Good Food site, with a list of low-calorie soups.

We mentioned BMR and TDEE often. Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) quantifies the number of calories you burn in a day. This measure is best estimated by scaling your Basal Metabolic Rate to your level of activity. TDEE is critical in tailoring your nutrition plan to desired fitness goals. Here is a link to a calculator to help you figure out how many calories you should be eating in a day. (This is a new calculator to previous threads, this one seems to give me approximately the same results the last one did, but without the virus warnings on my browser!)

A BIG THANK YOU to all who have been contributing, btw. Most of us are learning this way of eating as we go along. All of the links above have been posted by others in our previous threads, and they've been very helpful. Sorry if I haven't given credit where it's due, but it was just enough of a job getting all the links re-copied and back into one post.

Come join us, and tell us about your experiences with this diet!

InterestingIan Sat 12-Jan-13 13:24:07

@bubbles1231

No idea if the pepsi max could be a problem. I think the research is kinda mixed? But worth stop drinking it on fast days to see what happens. I'll drink even more coffee instead.

Only 17 walnuts to eat today!

Laska42 Sat 12-Jan-13 13:29:00

Hi B&Wthat new 5:2 community is the site I posted yesterday .. its the sequel to the facebook site as they found it wasn't working on FB,. its not officially part of or linked onto (or wasnt yesterday) to DR Ms fast diet website though they have asked for it to be ..

Absolute80s , one successful Fast is all that it'll take. You'll feel totally different both physically and mentally smile

catsrus Sat 12-Jan-13 19:06:13

I agree with cyclist - once you manage to do a "proper" fast you will find your motivation reset - so the big struggle will be to get that one under your belt grin it's only one day ... We can all manage one day smile

ariel3112 Sat 12-Jan-13 19:46:49

Tomorrow's Sunday Times has a fasting diet special in the Style section, so I think the new forum is likely to have a lot of hits...

Flojobunny Sat 12-Jan-13 19:52:43

Marking my place smile
Starting to feel a little better now, a little less green and jittery.

Absoluteeightiesgirl Sat 12-Jan-13 19:58:14

Thanks for the words of encouragement.
Well..... I have not lapsed today. Right now I am sat with a rare McDonalds treat next to me. DH had nipped out while I was otherwise engaged. We rarely have stuff like this but I LOVE Maccie D's. I am proud to say I have not had it. I reminded myself that if I did eat it I would without a shadow of doubt, feel lousy afterwards. It is just not worth it. I can't believe I have not scoffed it down.
I can do this

Flojobunny Sat 12-Jan-13 20:08:20

Waw well done 80s I wouldn't be able to resist!

TalkinPeace2 Sat 12-Jan-13 20:23:03

Flojo Glad you feel better. Lots of fluids, minimise solids till the morning and then pace yourself.

eighties
I've not eaten a McD meal since 1982. I had a root beer in 1999 and a coffee in 2010. Kids do (if somebody else is paying)
but if I'm settling the bill, I avoid ALL chains and takeaways if I can.
As a student DH and I convinced ourselves that the CIA drugged all McD and KFC food. Not worn off yet.

literarygeek Sat 12-Jan-13 20:28:16

TiP2 I know what you mean about fast food.If you've watched supersize me, I'd argue it's not far off!

Not much at any of those chains for vegans anyway but I stopped eating it when I was 12 and my brother had a summer job in McDs. He stopped eating it then, based on what he'd seen. He wouldn't elaborate but there was a haunted look in his eyes...

I do love a vinegary proper bag of thick chips very occasionally though!

ayshigirl Sat 12-Jan-13 20:40:17

Just posted on an old thread... woops! I'm on day one of this fasting regime (my sis refuses to call it a diet). I've coped ok but now feeling v weak and tired! Are there any good vegetarian recipes out there please? I usually rely quite a lot on cheese and nuts and generally avoid soya. Anything filling?

Breadandwine Sat 12-Jan-13 20:47:18

Laska I tried to register with them yesterday evening - and I'm still waiting for the activation email!

I tried to re-register, but, surprise, surprise, the email and password have all been taken!

There's no 'Webmaster' that I can see to contact.

Anyone else tried to enrol?

ZeldaForever Sat 12-Jan-13 21:00:44

Hello all, another newbie here! Just started this way of eating and looking for support groups that don't think I'm a freak. I don't like people judging me, so I am keeping the whole fasting thing a secret from those around me. I need somewhere more anonymous to vent and share advice, if that makes sense. Hopefully I can add something to this group as well as get something from it, smile

Flojobunny Sat 12-Jan-13 21:07:10

aysh I like weight watchers spinach frittata, I find that really filling.
Also making own soups with various vegetables and add lentils if I want it more filling. But good without on a fasting day.

ZeldaForever Sat 12-Jan-13 21:08:01

ayshigirl Hi, i am new to this too, and I am not vegetarian, but I remember a recipe for portabello mushroom pizzas which are low calorie and filling. You would have to control the amount of cheese and oil to keep it low cal. Basically it is just a whole portabello mushroom, coated with a small amount of olive oil, topped in sauce and cheese, and whatever you like, roasted in the oven at 450 degrees until the cheese is melted. I have made them with spinach and tomatoes and just a small amount of cheese, and it was plenty filling!

Flojobunny Sat 12-Jan-13 21:09:05

Hi zelda I know exactly what you mean unfortunately.
I get lectures on how fasting is so unhealthy blah blah.

Flojobunny Sat 12-Jan-13 21:10:59

Stuffed mushrooms you mean or on a pizza?

Laska42 Sat 12-Jan-13 21:26:05

Cant be a$$ed with the new forum B&W I'm staying here!

Yes the Fail on Sunday Fast special tomorrow .. they have asked a couple of us here ( me inc) but my leftie politics and the fact as they wanted pics meant I wasn't going to agree..

Laska42 Sat 12-Jan-13 21:33:12

oh ariel just remembered you'd said Sunday Times.. i was contacted by Mail on Sunday.. so looks like more than one paper going to be jumping on the bandwagon tomorrow

ZeldaForever Sat 12-Jan-13 21:37:51

Flojobunny No, what I mean is t he mushroom is the crust, everything else goes on top of the mushroom!

ZeldaForever Sat 12-Jan-13 21:39:23
Bobshouse Sat 12-Jan-13 21:40:49

All going well, did the calculations and seems I am meant to have 1400 cals to lose weight on feast days not the 1200 I have allowed. Am loving the hairy dieters cookbook where all the recipes have calories stated. Makes it easy. Am settling into a routine on fast days of having the same things. I have found what fills me but keeps me within 500 cals. I am even happy not having potatoes with meals but padding it out with plenty of low cal veg. Next fast day is Monday.

ZeldaForever Sat 12-Jan-13 21:46:05

I just had a fast day yesterday. It went fine but as I unexpectedly worked a double and was on my feet longer, I burned a crazy amount of cals, and as a result had a difficult time sleeping.

frenchfancy Sat 12-Jan-13 21:48:01

B+W I have registered, but not posted yet, prefer it here TBH I think we are a nicer bunch.

Proper feast day today including beer and garlic bread smile keeping up the exercise though, 30 mins on the horse and 30 mins on the Wii and 15 minutes on the bike (between showers). Not quite up to TiPs standards, but very good for me smile

Flojobunny Sat 12-Jan-13 21:58:48

Oh I think I'm going to have to get me some of those mushrooms. Trouble is, they look tiny, I think I might want 4!
Going to have a fasting day tomorrow since I'm still feeling a bit rough.
Hoping I'm going to be up to doing the Shred again tomorrow though might have to cut down on the cardio for now.

This thread is not accepting new messages.