5:2 Fast day recipe ideas

(201 Posts)
frenchfancy Wed 19-Sep-12 07:56:07

For those following the 5:2 diet and would like ideas for fast day meals. Please post your favourites.

Yesterdays lunch was carrot and coriander soup - 110 cals

recipe here: www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7003/carrot-and-coriander-soup it was delicious smile

Had squash and chorizo stew last week also very nice - 264 cals

Recipe here: www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4824/squash-and-chorizo-stew

Would love to see all your ideas.

nocomplicationspls Sun 25-Aug-13 01:41:33

Fantastically helpful thread. As I get more experienced will contribute!

Breadandwine Thu 29-Aug-13 12:35:50

Bump!

Breadandwine Wed 04-Sep-13 21:33:58

As an alternative to a 36 hour liquid fast, I try and reduce my calories for an evening meal as much as I can.

Here's a 140cal vegetable curry, with 100g of broccoli, which is very filling!

It's also useful for those who eat 2 or 3 small meals on a fasting day - not everyone just has the one meal. smile

lucamom Mon 09-Sep-13 18:37:44

Currently breaking fast with this mushroom stroganoff (apologies if already shared by another):

www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/dieting/recipes/52-diet-fast-low-calorie-1770918

It's allegedly for 4 people (90 cals a serving), but it's not a huge amount so we're having half each and having it with 100 cals of wholewheat cous cous.

WF Wed 11-Sep-13 07:49:36

Great thread

Laska42 Tue 15-Oct-13 18:29:57

bump

Laska42 Tue 15-Oct-13 19:36:47

Almost (M&S) Souper Green Soup (Laska's version, just as yummy)

Serves 6 Total:535 cals
Per Serving:89 cals
(it may freeze but i've found it keeps well in the fridge also )

Frozen Peas, 100 g
Celery, 4 sticks
1 Packet of Watercress, Spinach and Rocket Salad, chopped a little (or mixed leaves, any that you like)100 g
Potato, 1 medium diced
Asparagus Spears,6 chopped (I used frozen)
Vegetable Stock Cubes , 2 cubes made into a litre of stock(Kallo Organic are nice)
Fresh Mint Leaves, small handful to taste chopped
Coriander Leaves, small bunch chopped
Parsley Leaves - small bunch chopped
Sprig of Dill leaves chopped (or half to 1teaspoon of dried dill to taste)
Onion, 1 medium
Cabbage - Green a couple of leaves shredded optional
Olive oil 1 teaspoon
Salt, fresh ground black pepper and /or soy sauce (and Franks or Tabasco to taste if you are me)

Chop onions and celery and sweat in the oil ( you could just do it in stock or water to save 125 cals but its nicer with a little olive oil) add the diced potato and the stock and cook until tender but not breaking up .When veggies tender add asparagus. Peas, cabbage if using and more water if you think it needs it and cook until veg is tender , add the herbs and salad leaves to wilt .. season to taste . I like black pepper soy and chilli in mine!

I dont whizz mine, preferring it chunky ..yummy and filling

(The M&S version uses Edamame beans which i haven’t been able to get so have used peas. I have seen frozen but they are quite high in calories about 60cals for 50g )

Preciousdaisybear Wed 16-Oct-13 13:27:35

Hi I am a newbie looking for inspiration. Judging by these posts the Scottish Slimmers recipe books I have will be suitable. Will post the recipe for Red Onion and Tomato soup very soon. Delicious!

Gok Wan's new book "Gok's Wok" has lots of gorgeous recipes for under 500 cals!

Here's Vietnamese Salad, at only 65 cals.

Serves 4
1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
juice of 2 limes
2 tsp palm sugar or agave nectar
2 tsp sesame oil
2 fennel bulbs, trimmed and finely sliced
2 carrots, peeled and finely sliced
1 cucumber, peeled, deseeded, cut into half-moos
3 tbsp fresh mint
3 tbsp fresh coriander

Mix the fish sauce and lime juice. Add the sugar, sesame oil and mix
Put all the prepared veg and herbs in a bowl, and toss int eh dressing.

PatTheHammer Sat 19-Oct-13 08:12:26

This thread is very helpful. I've been doing 5:2 since the end of July (with 2 weeks doing 6:1 on holiday!).

I tend to stick to the same things and they look similar to lots of the recipes posted:
Lentil Dahl from a sainsburys recipe. About 200 cal depending on portion.
Half pot of carrot and coriander soup with rice cakes.
Vegetable stir fry with a bit of soy and stir fry oil, add zero noodle- comes to about 150cal.
Salmon fillet or turkey steak with oven roasted aubergine, courgette and mushroom, about 250 cal.
Veg curry or chilli, with Jamie Oliver's cauliflower rice- very low calorie.
2x quorn sausages with a baked sweet potato and either stir fry leeks and veg or oven roasted-about 250 cals depending on whether you eat the skin.
Large salad with prawns or tuna, with handful of mixed seeds from Lidl and some sliced beetroot.

That is what I tend to have with a few changes here and there if I get bored.

Breadandwine Sun 03-Nov-13 00:54:09

Great thread here with lots of ways to use cauliflower in recipes.

frenchfancy Mon 25-Nov-13 15:13:13

Considering seared scallops for dinner tonight. My cupboard is bare but I do have some scallops in the freezer.

frenchfancy Mon 25-Nov-13 15:27:40

or maybe scallops with pancetta and leeks substituting chorizo for the pancetta and doubling the recipe to make 500 cals

I'm going to mash a boiled egg with some greek yoghurt, and spoon that into celery sticks, then drape some wafers of pastrami over the top.

MinnieBar Mon 23-Dec-13 18:30:16

Haven't read all the thread, and I'm a newbie to this, but I had the following for lunch today and I think it came in at 80 cals:
Miso soup sachet
Half a pack of diet noodles
A third of a tin of tuna

Tbh it could have done with some more flavour (ginger perhaps?), and I think next time I'd chuck some carrots in too, but it was ok. Trying the butternut squash/sweet potato stew tonight, but with couscous as we don't have bulgar wheat!

onepotatotwopotato Thu 02-Jan-14 19:09:00

Marking my place so I can come back to find these recipes - so many good ideas!

The Times on Satuday had a good pull-out section of 100 cal snacks and 400 cal main meals. Now, it was part of a feature on Varady and her every other day approach, but the recipes are still viable. I'm trying teh courgette and chorizo tomaot dish tonight.

frenchfancy Mon 06-Jan-14 11:24:16

For pinterest users take a look at this board:

www.pinterest.com/eclectic_gal/5-2-diet-recipes/

http://dancingatlunacy.wordpress.com/2014/01/10/5and2-courgettes-and-chorizo/

Crispy chorizo slices on a bed of courgette ribbons in tomato sauce.

ErrolTheDragon Sun 19-Jan-14 19:03:09

Vietnamese Chicken curry - note, can be done in slow cooker - 250 cals per portion. Have with veg on FD, add rice on NFD. Serves 4 (but could easily halve quantities):

4tsp sunflower oil
12 spring onions, shredded
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or crushed
500 g cubed skinless chicken breast
2tsp ground turmeric
1tsp ground ginger
1tsp ground cumin
1 stick lemon grass, finely chopped (I didn't have any, used easy lemongrass paste and a bit less oil to fry in)
2 green chillis, deseeded and finely chopped
1 tin light coconut milk

Heat the oil medium-hot in large frying pan or wok. Fry onions, garlic and chicken for 3 minutes. Add the spices and fry for another couple of minutes. Transfer to a casserole dish or slow cooker, add the coconut milk - if the chicken isn't covered add a little water. Cook at 140C for 2 hours or 5 hours in slow cooker on low.

Garnish with fresh coriander.

Paintingrainbowskies Tue 21-Jan-14 21:23:40

Just had a lovely lentil dahl from Hugh's veg book, found the recipe here;

frugalfeeding.com/2012/01/09/simple-red-lentil-dhal/

I was making just for me so used 60g of lentils and about 250mls or so of water and half a teaspoon of oil for the onion. I reckon it came in at about 370 cals.

I served with a crunchy green salad and roasted butternut squash wedges. So yummy and filling!

BetsyBell Sun 26-Jan-14 18:58:19

I'm not sure these are strictly fast day delights but they seem to come up on the main threads at regular intervals! (Courtesy of bigchocfrenzy and others)

DEVIANT DELIGHTS to enjoy on 5:2

For newbies and a reminder to old hands

Deviant Porridge
- Make your porridge or oat bran as usual
- Add a generous heaped teasp of peanut butter and
- EITHER a heaped teasp of nutella OR 10-15g of dark choc, chopped up
- Stir through

Deviant Rice Pud
- Make your rice pud as usual.
- Then, hot or cold, however you want it
- Add a heaped teasp of peanut butter
- Stir through

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now