5:2 Fast day recipe ideas

(206 Posts)
frenchfancy Wed 19-Sep-12 07:56:07

For those following the 5:2 diet and would like ideas for fast day meals. Please post your favourites.

Yesterdays lunch was carrot and coriander soup - 110 cals

recipe here: www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7003/carrot-and-coriander-soup it was delicious smile

Had squash and chorizo stew last week also very nice - 264 cals

Recipe here: www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4824/squash-and-chorizo-stew

Would love to see all your ideas.

That's good then! And the slices are quite large (1/8th of a cake, I make it in a brownie and it fills it nicely)

SoTiredAgain Sun 09-Jun-13 17:49:16

Sorry, but I have not read the whole thread so apologies if this link is a duplicate:

www.easyliving.co.uk/beauty/100-snacks-under-100-calories/1-pear?utm_source=Outbrain&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Outbrain%EAsyLiving

100kcal snacks for fast days and for those of us who are snackers on non-fast days.

Cat98 Tue 11-Jun-13 16:31:41

Thanks for these ideas!
Marking place. I'm just starting 5:2 and its my first fast day - it's going ok so far. I am trying the roasted cauliflower posted upthread for dinner tonight!
Hopefully I'll be able to add some recipes soon!

I've remade the cake with 4 TSP cocoa (about 8g) and its lovely. The original sponge recipe is quite sweet so no extra sweetening needed. It did bake a little heavier but thats fine too. 110 calories for a large slice. Yum yum.

orderinformation Tue 18-Jun-13 23:59:18

Marking my place

blue2 Thu 20-Jun-13 09:15:02

Paintingrain - I did the stew last night on your recommendation. It was delicious. fed all 3 of us with enough for me to eat on a NFD tomorrow!

Thank you!

cerealqueen Fri 28-Jun-13 22:26:26

Very grateful to eclecticbabe for her post, as now I know about zero calorie noodles!!!!

I'm off to Holland and Barrett tomorrow to get some for my next fasting stir fry.

cerealqueen Fri 28-Jun-13 22:55:18

My recipe is for thai veg soup

1 onions and 2 garlic cloves sweated in a pan
add stock
3 carrots
a head of brocolli
2 peppers

Once very all soft, blend and add thai seasoning to taste (I like it quite spicy)

You can use any veg and any proportions you like and can add some grated block coconut but this does add on calories!

Freezes well, great for low cal lunches

I originally did this as a weight watchers soup and it was called no cal soup (no coconut) but on the 5:2 keep seing calories being added up for veg when I thought that you used more calories processing many veg than they are worth no were in effect, free? Is this still right or not true for this diet?

Breadandwine Sat 29-Jun-13 06:53:14

Here's a simple, tasty, veg curry - comes in at around 165 calories!

nobreadisanisland.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/52-diet-simple-vegetable-curry-vegan.html

AwkwardSquad Sat 29-Jun-13 18:26:48

Here's a site for Indian food lovers. The recipes are vegan.

www.holycowvegan.net/

I couldnt get the link for the squash/ lentil curry so made my own it was very delicious....
1 onion chopped
2 garlic cloves grated
1 thumb siize root ginger grated and 1 finely chopped chilli ( or chilli paste)
500g cubed squash
5 tomatoes roughly chopped and/ or a tin of chopped tomatoes(see below)
100g red lentils
garam masala, cardamom pods x3, turmeric and cumin
fresh coriander and baby spinach.
Method:
1. soften the onion in a pan with a little olive oil, add the squash .
2. add the spices , ginger and garlic and just cook for 60 secs till amalgamated.
3. add lentils tomatoes and a bit of water .
4. bring to boil ,then simmer for about 20 mins till squash is soft,adding a bit more water if the lentils start to stick to the pan. I added a tin of tomatoes at this point because it didnt look tomatoey enough for me!
5. Add a big handful of spinach and coriander in the last 5 mins until spinach wilted.

By my calculations this comes to approx 600 cals for the lot( and thats an over estimation of the spices etc..) . I made a large saucepanful and had about a quarter of it which I make 150cals

QueenBoudicea Wed 03-Jul-13 10:32:11

Here is a delicious spicy aubergine stew only 150 cal per portion too

Dotty342kids Wed 03-Jul-13 21:16:21

Ok, by popular demand, here is Indian Beans on Toast!

Tin of baked beans (I believe HP are the lowest variety on offer....)
Onion - half onion is probably enough - diced
Green chilli - chopped small
Garam Masala
Salt

Gently fry off half an onion, half a chopped green chilli (or more if you like it hot!) with a tsp of garam masala and quarter tsp of salt until nicely softened.
Once softened add tin of beans and cook to your taste - sludgy or non sludgy!

I have half a portion of this with two quorn sausages and one piece of toast and it comes in just under 500 cals. Yum!

Peacocklady Thu 04-Jul-13 22:17:30

Indian veg recipe- I've had this 2 weeks running it's very delicious. Haven't calorie counted it but it's just veg and spices so very low cal.

Ingredients
Low cal spray oil stuff
1/2 tsp whole cumin seeds
1/2tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp hot chilli powder
1/2 tsp Garam masala
Fresh coriander
Juice of 1 lemon

Veg:
1 or 2Red bell peppers cut into 1-2 cm chunks
Courgettes sliced 1cm thick then halved
Green beans topped n tailed then cut into 1-2cm chunks
Wash chopped veg in colander in cold water
2 -3 smallish tomatoes chopped

You can also use aubergine or runner beans and whatever quantities you fancy.

NO GARLIC, GINGER, ONION OR FRESH CHILLIES! Don't be adding water or tinned tomatoes either!

Spray a wok with oil.
Heat oil and add cumin. Don't let it burn, keep stirring and lift off heat if you need to, till it smells nice.
Add peppers and cook for 2 mins.
Add beans and cook 2 mins.
Add courgettes/aubergine and cook about 5 mins.
Then Add turmeric stir and cook 2 mins
Then Add salt stir cook 2 mins
then chilli powder stir cook 2 mins
add tomatoes stir.
Add a lid and turn down.
Cook for half an hour at least till veggies are very soft.
Add Garam masala
Add lemon juice
Stir
add coriander.

Serve, adding salt if needed.

Tillyboo Tue 09-Jul-13 01:09:03

Marking my place too

Breadandwine Tue 09-Jul-13 20:58:24

Just made these for the first time - I promise you it won't be the last!

Either 145 calories or 75 - depending on whether you share them or not! grin

nobreadisanisland.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/52-diet-chocolate-dipped-strawberries.html

Simply gorgeous!

B&W

I've just rediscovered trout! As an alternative to salmon it has half the calories, hardly any of the fat, and the same amount of protein.

Sainsburys were doing 2 fillets for £4, so I had one last night baked in a foil parcel with some sliced mushrooms and basil (and a glass of wine as it was a NFD, but seriously, low enough cals to use on FDs)

Today is a fast day and I'll be poaching the other fillet in a splash of lemon juice and water in the microwave, accompanied by some steamed asparagus. And a sort of healthy tartare made with fromage frais, capers and gerkins.

One trout fillet is about 120 cals.

HellesBelles396IsDeeplyUncool Thu 25-Jul-13 14:34:16

Moroccan chickpea stew (makes 8 portions)

Large onion, 2 crushed cloves of garlic, 1/2 grated ginger root and 4 celery sticks finely diced sauted in squirt of oil-spray and 1/2 tsp ground cumin.

When transluscent, add a moroccan seasoning mix (I used asda), juice of a lemon, 2 x 400g cans of drained, rinsed chickpeas, 1 x 400g broad beans, 1x 400g tin chopped tomatoes. Add enough hot water to be visible but not cover the pulses.

Bring to just below the boil and simmer for about 30 mins. 1 serving (a ladleful) is approx 110 calories.

Very nice with couscous or quinoa. Or flatbread.

blue2 Fri 26-Jul-13 10:06:29

I have recently discovered that if you slice up an onion and whack it in the microwave in a lidded bowl with a splash of water, it will cook with no oil.

I usually give it about 1 min 20 and then check it.

I have always struggled to either 'dry fry' an onion or fry one with a few squirts of the spray oil. It just doesn't work for me!

"Whack in the micorwave with a teaspoon of water" works for so many vegetables!

orderinformation Sat 27-Jul-13 23:49:01

I had a delicious dinner tonight - around 200 cal.

Poached (in water) salmon fillet on boiled spinach (both from frozen) squeeze of lemon juice on side.

Two tomatoes chopped finely with a third of an onion chopped finely mixed with clove of fresh garlic and a dash of balsamic. Dotted the tomato salad round the fish which was on top of the spinach. Looked so pretty and was v tasty. Would serve it to guests if it also had a carb.

HellesBelles396IsDeeplyUncool Fri 02-Aug-13 19:23:41

Prawn & Noodle soup (pic on my profile)

As it's nfd, it has twice the amount of noodles I would use on fd but is still only 380 calories.

Spray of oil, 1 grated clove garlic, 1 tsp chilli paste, 1/2 tsp grated ginger. Warm gently in pan. Remove from heat and mix in half a pack of jumbo king prawns. Stir thoroughly, cover with foil and leave to sit in warm marinade for 20mins (or until defrosted).

Add 70 dry grams of rice thread noodles. Add water to just cover. Add 150g of stir fry mix (also from freezer).
Bring to simmer. Leave on very low heat with lid on for 10 mins or until prawns are pink.

Yum.

frenchfancy Mon 12-Aug-13 05:57:26

Just bumping

Lovely experiment last night with a pack of zero noodles (15 cals for the whole pack)

Rinse the noodles well.
Dry fry them in a frying pan. Move them to one side of the pan and add 3 sliced mushrooms, a few asparagus spears chopped into pieces, and 2 spring onions, sliced on the diagonal. (50 cals for the veg) Squeeze half a lime over them and cook for a few minutes until the veg are soft. Add half a pack of defrosted scallops (80 cals)to another part of the pan, and sear them on all sides for a couple of minutes.

Bring everything together and add 100 ml (about 1/4 can) of light coconut milk (70 cals), and a good blob of tom-yum paste (50 cals). Stir well until everything is coted in teh sauce, serve in bowls with a sprinkle of sesame seeds (15 cals)

Should be around 280 cals for one very generous portion.

mollysfolly Fri 23-Aug-13 08:59:18

It's my one year anniversary of doing the 5:2 on and off and here is my favourite fast day dinner, oatcake with bacon and cheese. This is the soft pancake-like oatcake from the north west of England, not the Scottish biscuit style. If you can't buy these in your part of the world, they are not difficult to make and I can root out the recipe if anyone wants it.

1 oatcake (120 cals)
2 slices thin cut well-trimmed back bacon (100 cals)
1 slice processed cheese (55 cals) or you could melt a little cheddar

Warm the oatcake add the grilled bacon and warm or melt the cheese on top. Roll up and eat!

Ta-da! A comforting filling meal for 275 calories. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now