Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

levonelle morning after pill doesn't work if taken when most fertile?

(12 Posts)
saycheese Tue 13-Dec-11 22:16:05

I had sex, day 14 of a 28 day cycle, condom burst and didn't realise till it was too late, went and got morning after pill and took it within an hour! Really worried so was looking up stats on google and came across an article in the telegraph posted 6 days ago saying an expert has said it doesn't work on the few days in the month you are most fertile!! I can't post a link as I'm on my phone. Is there any truth in this? The pharmasist didn't mention anything at all like that. X

ahhyesiseeyouvepooedonsanta Tue 13-Dec-11 22:18:48

Step away from Dr Google! I have never heard that so can't say for sure but it sounds like absolute arse... I would presume it's ok, I think you get some bleeding with the morning after pill, if you get that i would suggest you're home and dry, if not Do Not Worry and take a test in 3 weeks time to put your mind at rest.

saycheese Tue 13-Dec-11 22:48:30

Haha thankyou for your reply, its just cos it was in the telegraph I thought it must be true.. I'd be less worried if it was the daily mail. No bleeding so far. X

TooMuchInLove Fri 20-Jan-12 21:16:01

It is possibly true however unlikely.My experience was Split condom so took the MAP and it didn't work which the doctors said could have been down to the fact i was at the most fertile stage of my cycle so I did get pregnant. I have always put it down to the fact that I ate a grapefruit that morning and for some reason grapefruit juice can affect it (god knows how) but they did say it was possible i was just too fertile for it to work effectively.

doradoo Fri 20-Jan-12 21:21:01

Worked for me 24hrs after the event at the most fertile time so not sure it's necessarily true.

Hope it pans out OP.

cazboldy Fri 20-Jan-12 22:18:36

we had a split condom. I was only 14 at the time and was midmonth... i'm not sure exactly what day. I got pg, and I wasn't sick or anything.

We decided he was meant to be .... and he is 15 now smile

Best of luck xx

MsWeatherwax Fri 20-Jan-12 22:20:52

It works by preventing your ovulation - so if you have already ovulated it may be too late. However you can only know that you've ovulated if you track your fertility through more than just counting the days, but with taking temperatures and such. Day 14 is just an approximation - it varies from woman to woman and often from cycle to cycle. Hopefully you won't have ovulated yet and it will work in time. You can also use an IUD for emergency contraception up to 5 days after the sex - this would be through its secondary effect of preventing implantation.

DiscoDaisy Fri 20-Jan-12 22:21:52

It didn't work for me when the condom split and I was at my most fertile.
DS2 was meant to be!

srhm Tue 30-Jul-13 02:24:57

Hi Ladies,

I'm not sure if this is the correct spot to post, im a newbie!

I'm looking for some advice. I have very regular periods (to the day!) and i track these and my fertile days, using a reliable app on my phone. I started my period on the 11th July and ovulated on the 24th. I know i ovulated as it's the same every month, i can feel it, cramps, mucus etc. I had sex with my boyfriend on the 25th, which i believe is a day after the 'egg' was released - and the condom broke. Basically there was zero protection. This was around 11pm. I took the morning after pill the next day around 5pm. According to my calender this day was still within my fertile period. I was just one pill, from the chemist. (I'm in Australia)

I've seen that apparently the MAP isnt effective if you are in your fertile days when the unprotected sex happened.
Today is the 29th and i am feeling extremely fatigued (for no reason), and have a strange twingey feeling on and off in my lower abdomen area..

Any advise would be appreciated!

P.S, thought i'd add that a few years ago i accidentally got pregnant whilst living overseas, and had no symtopms of pregnancy, sickness etc. Only realised at around 4 weeks pregnant. I terminated the pregnancy, and felt awful about it.

Thank you. smile

DaleyBump Tue 30-Jul-13 02:34:38

No advice, but it's far too soon for you to have any pregnancy symptoms if you have conceived. I'd say a week, at the very, very least and that's really pushing it. Sounds like you're just going to get AF.

meditrina Wed 31-Jul-13 15:09:40

I've just read the Levornelle pack leaflet (UK version) in which it says that it prevents 84% of expected pregnancies. As MAP is taken by those who believe they are at risk, then most of those taking it in the first place have had unprotected sex in what they believe is, or might be, their fertile period. It works for the majority.

The symptoms you describe are all listed in the pack leaflet as common side effects (affecting more than 1 in 10 of those who take it). Also, be aware that it can muck up your cycle by up to 5 days, so you can be late but still not pg.

But if you are really worried, then you are still within the time window for having an IUD fitted as emergency contraception. Perhaps, given your history, it is something to consider?

sugababy Sat 01-Mar-14 18:17:56

Hey, don't worry too much. I was in the same situation. Day 14, most fertile part of the cycle. I took the pill approx 15 hours after the event and my period just started today on time! The main thing is not to think about this and stress over it, because you can go crazy smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now