Running and walking - how?

(10 Posts)
StewardsEnquiry Tue 13-Sep-16 16:12:04

This might be a stupid question, but those of you who say, run for 3 minutes and walk for 1, how do you know when to run and walk? Is there an app that will time me and bleep to let me know when to run or walk? Do I need a Gadget??

Wolfiefan Tue 13-Sep-16 16:13:24

I just used a digital watch. I'm sure there are apps and gadgets though!

KittyandTeal Tue 13-Sep-16 16:17:37

There's a couch 2 5k app that breaks it down into 3 runs a week for 9 weeks. It tells you when to run and when to walk and gives you a 10 second warning for each. It's brilliant, how I started running

StewardsEnquiry Tue 13-Sep-16 16:26:53

Thanks. I have done c2k but thinking I might just continue with repeating intervals of running for a few min/ walking for one to build up distance. Yes a digital watch would work... need one with a big display.... goes off to Google. ..

KittyandTeal Tue 13-Sep-16 16:38:00

Ah I see.

I have a garmin forerunner that you can set for run/walk intervals. I don't think it goes much higher than 5min tbh but I use that function for my speed work. It just beeps for start and stop running.

I just use a free app called Interval Timer, you can set it for x work period then y rest period, repeat however many times; so it works for HIIT too (in case you were thinking of diversifying grin)

PhyllisWig Tue 13-Sep-16 18:50:48

From what I can gather, there is an app by a guy called Jeff Galloway which is based on a run walk run method and continues beyond 5k. It's a few quid on the App Store so may be worth a look? I am seriously considering it atm

londonmummy1966 Tue 13-Sep-16 22:55:10

I've been run walk training for a half marathon for the last 3 months - it is very effective. I hate lugging a phone etc around so I have been using a gymboss interval timer.

www.gymboss.com

It just clips onto my waist band and beeps at me - it is really easy to set and has made such a difference to my running. As gizmos go it isn't expensive either.

Migrant2 Fri 23-Sep-16 13:22:57

You don't even need the app. Pop on Jeff Galloway's website and get the programmes for free! It's very clever how you work out your intervals, all based on how long it takes you to run a mile. Easy to calculate and the website tells you exactly how to do it.
You could also have a look at the "run Disney" website. He's the official trainer for run Disney and his programmes are all on there too!

MrsKellyJones Fri 23-Sep-16 13:33:53

I use the C25K timings loosely but just use the timer on my phone rather than an app.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now