What is the shortest amount of time you'd leave between a meal and a run?

(9 Posts)
QuimReaper Thu 21-Apr-16 18:25:17

I normally try and stick to 2hrs but it isn't always convenient. If I go after 1-1.5hrs, will I regret it?

Somerville Thu 21-Apr-16 18:32:44

Depends how big the meal was. I've never found 1-1.5 hours a problem as long as I haven't pigged out. Sometimes I run half an hour after a light meal because I suddenly realise it is absolutely the only time I have. I did puke into the canal the last time I did that though

KanyesVest Thu 21-Apr-16 18:33:44

I'm not a great runner by any measure but I need 2 hours minimum after a proper meal otherwise I get stitches and am just uncomfortable. I try to run in the morning to avoid having to work out how to fit in both in the day.

Veterinari Thu 21-Apr-16 18:45:13

I had a stirfry with a small microwave bag of rice yesterday - did 6km hr after, and I'm not exactly a runner!

lastqueenofscotland Thu 21-Apr-16 21:46:25

I need ages or I get a real stich. I can have a bit of toast an hour before but otherwise at least 2/3 hours.

QuimReaper Thu 21-Apr-16 22:26:37

Thanks all thanks

Wanderingwondering Thu 21-Apr-16 22:32:48

I seem to have a useful ability to run within minutes of eating!
I usually cram a lightish dinner down before going to the running club and recently ran a great 5k time half an hour after eating fish and chips!

lljkk Fri 22-Apr-16 19:02:58

I suppose as little as 1 hour if it's just a small snack. 1.5-2 hrs after a meal. Am not a huge eater.

Teaandcakeat8 Fri 22-Apr-16 19:04:58

At least 3-4 hours if it's a proper meal or it comes straight back up!

I usually run first thing and can do up to about 8 miles without fuel, any further and I can stomach half a bagel if I wait a couple of hours.

Means some very early starts on long run days... I normally set my alarm super early, eat then go back to sleep to let it settle!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now