First half marathon this weekend and I'm really sick.

(12 Posts)
Hadron21 Fri 11-Mar-16 10:14:34

I've got this horrible chesty cough. I'm agonising over what to do. I've worked so hard and done all my training. What would you do?

SandunesAndRainclouds Fri 11-Mar-16 10:17:43

For a chesty cough, high temperature I'd defer or sell my place on. I know how awful it is to miss out on something you've trained for.

One of my friends has run with a flu thing, then didn't hydrate properly during a marathon and is now suffering severe health consequences.

It isn't worth the risk.

Handsupbabyhandsup Fri 11-Mar-16 10:18:07

I'd probably attempt it but have a plan to abandon or walk if I needed too

Hadron21 Fri 11-Mar-16 10:27:55

I'm agonising over what to do, this isn't like me. Thank you both. It's in Sunday so I'll see how I feel then.
It's not flu, just that chesty cough and tickly throat.
I'm waiting for a miracle 😞

LadyCassandra Fri 11-Mar-16 10:30:43

I'd be gutted. sad
Give it another day to make a decision. Hope you can do it.

lastqueenofscotland Fri 11-Mar-16 13:05:47

Isn't there a "below the head" rule for things like this. Head Cold - so runny nose and headache you're fine, anything else (ie below your head) give it a miss

jellybean2000 Fri 11-Mar-16 13:57:44

Do you actually feel unwell?

Never run (and certainly don't race) if you're feeling poorly.

I ran a race with a very blocked nose and a cough, but my breathing was fine and I didn't feel poorly. My poor pelvic floor wasn't happy mind!

Duckdeamon Fri 11-Mar-16 13:59:50

Not a good idea to take health risks if you're still chesty on race day: you've done the training and could do it were you well, and there are numerous alternative events you could do instead in the coming weeks/months.

Hadron21 Fri 11-Mar-16 14:19:22

It's an odd one. Nose is clear but a tickly cough and now and again I've coughed up some phlegm (sorry tmi but I know you runners are tough!)
I feel like I did when I was pregnant and overdue - analysing every little pain and symptom!

SandunesAndRainclouds Sun 13-Mar-16 15:10:48

What did you decide?

Hope you're feeling better 😊

Hadron21 Sun 13-Mar-16 17:41:34

Hi Sandunes - thank you asking - I did it! Somehow I managed it in under 2.30. It was brilliant.
Thanks again for remembering me.

SandunesAndRainclouds Sun 13-Mar-16 17:59:23

Well done! Did you get a good medal... I do love a bit of bling! I did Bournemouth marathon last year and the medal is huge!! Best bit 😃

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now